Carney will not be leaving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Carney will not be lea...

Post by thegimble »

Doc Warrior posted:
Dave o

I see what your are saying.

Looking at some of the comments on this thread Carney seems to be wanting to leave after this season which means he is still under contract. If it is the South Sydney team that want him then they will have to pay something to get him by buying out the remainder of his contract or a set transfer fee.

Like you i would not want to sell my best assets but if money is available and the offer is right then can wigan refuse it.

I dont agree that wigan dont need the money, yes they have Dave Whelan but he has been our owner for number of years now and has not really pumped thousands into player purchases again because of the salary cap, also please dont think that just because wigan announce a £110k profit they are suddenly flush with cash, this will just be a figure on there Profit and Loss accounts sheet.

And that money will have been spent in other areas like wages etc.

At the end of the day none of us know how much input the coach has to buying and selling players i would like to think that denis betts has the freedom to tell Mo who he wants and not the other way around. But the jury is out on that one.

As for the GB team again i dont agree the potential world cup in a few years will probably be like the last one with the home nations playing. But again weve all said it international rugby needs a higher profile particularly if we are to compete with RU and hope to develop enough to one day beat the aussies at that level
Id let Carney go if they can get a quality player. How many games has he missed in the last 2 seasons. At the moment a fair chunk of the cap is being taken up on Faz and Carney.

Carney is about the best winger in SL but when you look back at the last 2 seasons who would you rather be Carney or Calderwood. Lets be honest Carney does not play enough games to justify been seen as effective as Calderwood is to the Rhinos over the last 2 seasons.

We need to look further than Carney's abilities and accept that his injuries as starting to create a problem in the team.

How long do we really think he will go before he gets another injury. Realistically hell be out again before August and that where the problem lies, Carney needs to prove his fitness over the remainder of the season or im sorry we need to let him go.

Hock and O'Loughlin will return next season and they have age on their side which is something Carney does not have.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

robjoenz posted:
we_need_a_coach posted:
:angry: Radlinski will leave at the end of the season, he will be named captain of the new French club, Carney's move to Souths will be announced in the next month or so, and I doubt he will play many games for us this season, he's going to be given another chance in 2 weeks, if the injury returns it's op time again, the guys a liability he's taking up one of our squad places.
The Newton rumour started in the close season, and if Rads and Carney go so will Newton, he won't stay in a below average team !!
Then we're going to make all the young lads play in the Academies, we're selling our remaining older players to Widnes and Wigan RLFC will wind up. You heard it here first!
And Elvis will be the pre match entertainment on the last match before the club folds.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Fraggle posted:
we_need_a_coach posted:
The Newton rumour started in the close season
It wasn't a rumour, by all accounts it was an approach by Bradford which was very rapidly turned down by the club. No rumour, but no future in that story either.
Just over the last 2 days been thinking. I need an anadin now i think.

We need a prop Bulls need a hooker why not swap Fielden for Newton. Oh i here the cries we need a class hooker. Then use money saved on Faz and sign Cunningham as he is on his last season oh his present contract at the Saints.

Bulls get what they need
We get what we need
And we anger Millward.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

I would sell Carney, id rather have the money now than risk another injury plagued year with he then lose him on a free. I love the player but with the last two years in mind i dont think amount of games we get from him its wise to risk next season.
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

we_need_a_coach posted:
:D There we go, your worse than Mrs_carney, you lose the aurgument, then resort to getting personal, one thing I wont do, so you lose !!!!
How does he lose? He totally out argued you, face it your wrong and since when have rumours been fact? I could start a rumour that martin offiah was our new prop, does that mean you'll believe me?
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
heydude

Post by heydude »

yes he probably will cos mrs c you quote facts.
don't eat yellow snow
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:conf: Well daid Heydude ????
I've completely lost the plot on this topic, it seems no matter what I or indeed other posters say on a subject, certain people just come back on and slag me off, Imust be touching a nerve !!!!

:wink:
heydude

Post by heydude »

we_need_a_coach posted:
:conf: Well daid Heydude ????
I've completely lost the plot on this topic, it seems no matter what I or indeed other posters say on a subject, certain people just come back on and slag me off, Imust be touching a nerve !!!!

:wink:
sorry think you misunderstood my post i was getting at you not mrs c.
don't eat yellow snow
hes84

Post by hes84 »

any updates on when carney will be playing again? :doz:
Bring on sexy Carney!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

UTC game is the current rumour. Of course, when he does come back, the next Q is how long will he last, quickly followed by when does he leave for Aus