Bowen contract

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Bowen contract

Post by markill »

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... n-warriors

Wants to stay on next year this says. Are there no options in his contact for that already?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Re: Bowen contract

Post by josie andrews »

markill wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... n-warriors

Wants to stay on next year this says. Are there no options in his contact for that already?
I thought there was a year option, but knowing me & my 'senior moments' lately, don't quote me :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:
markill wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... n-warriors

I thought there was a year option, but knowing me & my 'senior moments' lately, don't quote me :wink:
Its probably an option which needs to be agreed by both sides
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

He is only indicating that as a result of himself and his family already enjoying life over here, that he would like to take up the option of a further year.

His comments have put paid to the nonsense that he and his family were not happy here and wanted to go home.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Now this is a turn up for the books. Thought he would have been a 1 season and gone back to the Cowboys for a job he apparently has ready for him on his return.

But the thing is a player should retire when he is ready to and he is far better than most thought he would be given his knee issue last season. He is getting better week in week out and the more he plays the better he will get for us. And it gives time for us to either get Rocky into 6 next season if Green goes and lets us have a full season to look for a replacement or get Tierney ready for us.
Mr Sergent

Post by Mr Sergent »

I think we need to be gearing towards Hampshire being a first choice starter next season be that at 1 or at 6. I don't think we can afford to have him stringed along as a fringe player for another full season and risk loosing him to a better offer.

Hampshire is a future star for the club and has a whole career ahead of him. I would let Bowen go at the end of the season in a heartbeat if it meant Hampshire being the full time replacement.

If there is room for them both in the regular 13 then all the better.
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

Mr Sergent wrote:I think we need to be gearing towards Hampshire being a first choice starter next season be that at 1 or at 6. I don't think we can afford to have him stringed along as a fringe player for another full season and risk loosing him to a better offer.

Hampshire is a future star for the club and has a whole career ahead of him. I would let Bowen go at the end of the season in a heartbeat if it meant Hampshire being the full time replacement.

I agree that we can't afford to have him on the fringes for yet another season. There was some suggestion last week that Green is more or less definitely going at the end of the season, is this the case? If so, then Bowen staying on at 1 and Rocky taking the 6 position from Green would be ideal IMO.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

NeeNawWarrior22 wrote:
Mr Sergent wrote:I think we need to be gearing towards Hampshire being a first choice starter next season be that at 1 or at 6. I don't think we can afford to have him stringed along as a fringe player for another full season and risk loosing him to a better offer.

I agree that we can't afford to have him on the fringes for yet another season. There was some suggestion last week that Green is more or less definitely going at the end of the season, is this the case? If so, then Bowen staying on at 1 and Rocky taking the 6 position from Green would be ideal IMO.
Agreed. Hampshire is far more deadly at 6 where he has excelled all the way from his junior years.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Kittwazzer wrote:
NeeNawWarrior22 wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly i would say Rocky is the next Sean Edwards.In a way Stains are doing the samething with Lomax
i would argue he is a no6 not a FB IMO>
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

When Bowen first signed I'm pretty sure it was a one year deal with a further year's option. In who's favour I don't know.
We are all big fans of Hampshire yet the thought of him being given the 6 shirt (should Green leave) worries me.
He isn't the biggest lad around and due to his pace and attacking threat he would be targeted by opposition forwards, he would be forced into 25+ tackles a game.
I don't think 6 is a right move for him.
At full back he is more protected and might be able to manage a season playing there.
The club have a difficult one here, they have a great talent but using him too much too early could have consequences.
I'd prefer him to continue this season as has been done.
2015 Ryan play to far more games, Bowen take the back seat.
2016 the number 1 shirt goes to Hampshire.