Harris looks to Wigan for Salford overhaul

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Harris looks to Wigan for Salford overhaul

Post by josie andrews »

The Red Devils boss is eyeing a number of out-of-contract Warriors stars as he looks to overturn a poor start to the season.

Salford coach Iestyn Harris could target out of contract stars at his former club Wigan as he looks to strengthen the Red Devils.

Harris has a high regard for the Warriors hard working Welsh forward Ben Flower while owner Marwan Koukash is said to rate Aussie half back Blake Green.

Harris and Koukash have pinpointed key areas where Salford must strengthen and have identified top targets both here and overseas.

Green is regarded as one of the best and toughest half backs in super League.

He won the Harry Sunderland Trophy last season as man of the match in the Grand Final win over Warrington.

He was linked with a return to Australia at the end of last year and previously played for Hull KR.

Wigan have Sam Powell and George Williams waiting in the wings as understudy to Green.

Reds have proved with the signing of Kiwi star Kevin Locke they can match contracts on offers to stars in the NRL.

Warriors coach Shaun Wane has already dismissed reports linking Flower with a move to Australia.

Wane rates Flower who was with Salford boss Harris at the Crusaders.

Flower appears to remain a key figure in Wane’s long term plans.

Meanwhile Reds are still hoping that Benji Marshall could play for them in the second half of this season. Shane Flanagan is due to arrivce this week.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... rd-7073381
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Harris looks to Wigan for Salford overhaul

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

He is welcome to blake but we should keep flower I'd rather offload dudson
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

What's wrong with Blake?
jobo

Post by jobo »

Kaii wrote:What's wrong with Blake?
I wondered about that.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I thought this was Green's last season with us.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

jobo wrote:
Kaii wrote:What's wrong with Blake?
I wondered about that.
Sorry i should of explained that a bit more

there is nothing wrong with blake as of such but in my eyes he is a solid player but thats about it. I really hope Hampshire can make the 6 jersey his own and he cant do that with blake here
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Is my memory correct in thinking that flower came frm crusaders and was highly recommended by Harris?

I hope we tell them to shove it as I am getting sick of the club cashing in.

I don't buy into this philosophy of we can sell anyone and replace them with youth.

It is plain as the the nose on my face that we are far weaker now than 3 years ago.

Rather than selling we should be trying to get a top class centre in ( a quality second row would be good as well- Hoffman) as that is where we are weak IMHO.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

In the press conf for the Leeds game Waney said Flower had two years left on his contract and wasn't going anywhere.

Blake Green is ooc end of this year as we know but with Powell, Williams and Hampshire to accomodate then his departure may well ease salary pressure to give these young lads wage upgrades.
Green's departure would free an overseas spot if the club have someone in mind.

markill

Post by markill »

I always expected this to be Green's last year with us, but I thought he would have impressed enough on the important occasions to earn himself the deal down under that he wants.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

[quote="josie andrews"]The Red Devils boss is eyeing a number of out-of-contract Warriors stars as he looks to overturn a poor start to the season.

Salford coach Iestyn Harris could target out of contract stars at his former club Wigan as he looks to strengthen the Red Devils.

Harris has a high regard for the Warriors hard working Welsh forward Ben Flower while owner Marwan Koukash is said to rate Aussie half back Blake Green.

Harris and Koukash have pinpointed key areas where Salford must strengthen and have identified top targets both here and overseas.

Green is regarded as one of the best and toughest half backs in super League.

He won the Harry Sunderland Trophy last season as man of the match in the Grand Final win over Warrington.

He was linked with a return to Australia at the end of last year and previously played for Hull KR.

Wigan have Sam Powell and George Williams waiting in the wings as understudy to Green.

Reds have proved with the signing of Kiwi star Kevin Locke they can match contracts on offers to stars in the NRL.

Warriors coach Shaun Wane has already dismissed reports linking Flower with a move to Australia.

Wane rates Flower who was with Salford boss Harris at the Crusaders.

Flower appears to remain a key figure in Wane’s long term plans.

Meanwhile Reds are still hoping that Benji Marshall could play for them in the second half of this season. Shane Flanagan is due to arrivce this week.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... rd-7073381[/quote

And Uncle Tom Cobley will be joining Salford the week after!