Wigan in talks to keep Green

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Wigan in talks to keep Green

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/27310526

Sorry but if this results in us losing Hampshire or Powell its a terrible choice IMO.

Green is a solid player and in no way am I saying he is a bad player. However Hampshire has the potential to be something special IMO and that is something Green will never be. He is the Australian equivalent of Richard Horne when he played at 6, he's a good solid player wont do much wrong but you don't ever get that feeling of anticipation when he gets the ball that he might do something special.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kaii

Re: Wigan in talks to keep Green

Post by Kaii »

Bit of a jump there talking about Rocky and Sam
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'm sure they look at the big picture when reviewing contracts. Can't wait to see how DaveO works his Hanson argument into this thread though!:)
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Short memories some people. I hope Green signs a new contract and stays. He's a valuable presence for us. It would be like Ian Thornley - you might not realise his worth until he's not there.

Hampshire will have chances at full-back and as a sub in other matches while Powell might benefit from a loan spell. He has talent but his decision-making isn't good. Too often delays a pass and moves break down. He hasn't come on like George Williams.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Remember the grand final anyone?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

KOOCH wrote:Remember the grand final anyone?
Would he have got man of the match without the black eye? I doubt it he was given it for his bravery more than anything

He is solid nothing more
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I think I will stick with Wane on this one.Not everyone's cup of tea I appreciate that but I would stick with him. Don't think it will have any real detrimental affect on Rocky's position within the grand scheme of things.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Wane sees Hampshire as a full back for now and a reserve for Bowen. Not a stand off at present.
If Green where to leave our experience in mid field is diminished. I can understand Waney wanting to keep him and it's good news that he's well down the track with contract discussions.
Hampshire and Williams are still only 19 and whilst they are brilliant for their age, or any age, I don't think they have the experience or physicality to handle a 32+ game season now or next year.
The Wigan club are planning not just for next year but seasons beyond that. Thay've got it right these last number of years and I think have earned the right to be trusted on these matters.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Green not for me .They should let him go, he is just an average player and nothing more. Lets find someone who will excite us when they get the ball

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:I'm sure they look at the big picture when reviewing contracts. Can't wait to see how DaveO works his Hanson argument into this thread though!:)
Oh that is easy :D

In a nutshell we sold a player we need and are negotiating to keep a player we don't.

We have two injuries in the back row, Lockers and Faz and we have gone from a wealth of talent there to hoping we can clone Bateman.

With the half backs we already have three players who look with this season under their belt they could take over so in contrast Green isn't vital.

Ignoring the contrast with the back row for the moment I did post some time ago I thought the club had given both Green and Smith two year deals as part of a clear plan of progression that would see the young half backs ready to take over when Smith and Green's contracts expired.

None other than Whelly Warrior agreed with this idea.

I'd be surprised if Green wants anything shorter than three years and if he gets it we will lose one of the younger players IMO and from what I have seen of those I don't think he is worth it.

As with the o/p I think he is a solid player who occasionally does something good but is not enough of a threat enough of the time. His mere presence does not worry anyone whereas a top 6 has the opposition guessing.

If the plan was to have him here just for two years while the kids matured and that plan has changed I'd love to know why because I don't think it can be due to his quality as a player.

Maybe we are about to lose one or more of the young players and keeping Green will be put forward in a similar way to recruiting Bowen was used to sugar the bitter pill of losing Sam? I sincerely hope I am wrong with that notion.

Or if Wane wants to use Hampshire as Bowen's replacement I think this will prove a mistake. I think we would be far better off letting Green go, having Hampshire at 6 and recruiting a full back (Kevin Locke would have been ideal and I am gobsmacked we didn't use our "special relationship" with the NZW to sign him :roll: ) or even getting Sargenson up to speed there (he won't make a centre IMO but might do well at 1).