World Club Challenge: United Kingdom to stage 2015 match

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The World Club Challenge will return to the United Kingdom in 2015 after being staged in Australia earlier this year.

Sydney hosted the traditional annual clash between the champions of Super League and Australia's National Rugby League in February.

The challenge was resurrected in 2000 and had only been held in England between then and this year.

Wigan Warriors lost 36-16 to Sydney Roosters at the Allianz Stadium in a game watched by 31,515 spectators.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/27306293
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Re: World Club Challenge: United Kingdom to stage 2015 match

Post by Owd Codger »

I should think so as we need the game more than the Aussies!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Explain your reasoning behind that please?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
markill

Post by markill »

Whelley Warrior wrote:I should think so as we need the game more than the Aussies!
We do need it to exist more than they do but I'm not sure we need it in this country more. We need it on TV and to be well publicised and we need our teams to be competitive more than we need it hosted here every year. Think about it, beating Aussie teams down their would do more than 15-20 thousand people going to a game over here will do for the sport in terms of media coverage.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:Explain your reasoning behind that please?
No need to as the reasons are obvious, unless some see it as a means of having a holiday in Oz with game of Rugby League thrown in.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Explain your reasoning behind that please?
No need to as the reasons are obvious, unless some see it as a means of having a holiday in Oz with game of Rugby League thrown in.
If that was aimed at me, you seriously underestimate me as a supporter of Wigan Warriors!!

I go to all games home & away. I also follow the junior games mostly home but also sometimes away.

Why do you think I'm on first name terms with the players & the coaches?

I've followed their careers from an early age, I know their families & I am close friends with some. And I am still friends with players & a coach at other clubs!!

So don't you dare think I went to Australia just for a holiday with a game of rugby thrown in!

I have family & many friends in Oz, this just gave me the push to go & see them.

Are you jealous by any chance??
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Very mature. :wink:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The booze hound wrote:Very mature. :wink:
Waste of a post IMO :wink:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
The booze hound wrote:Very mature. :wink:
Waste of a post IMO :wink:
Josie, I was not getting at you. Just making the point that in the opinion of many supporters, it should have been played here where all Warriors supporters would have had the chance to see the game which is supposed to give publicity to our game at the beginning of a season rather than to the Aussies who don't need the publicity.

As a result of the timing of the game, we lost to Huddersfield on the night prior to the squad leaving for Oz. A game I am convinced the team would have won but for heads not being focused on the game due to them leaving the following day. When a Aussie club comes here, it is prior to the start of their season, never less than 24 hours after playing a NRL game.

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if you think it is a waste of a post because you think it is a swipe at yourself.

East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

I thought there was talk of making it a tournament with four teams from each country?

Is that dead now?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?