Tactics vs leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Tactics vs leeds

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Given are state of depletion in numbers what would be everyone's approach to the game at magic.

We cant match leeds like for like with half our squad out.

My tactics would be to slow the game down. Everytime we were in a none position of attack (I.e in their 10-20) by the 4th id kick and get it dead.

Leeds have arguably one of the best back lines in the business the less they have of the ball the better. Personally id be aiming to get it dead over the dead ball line rather than force a scrum as you can line up to front them.

Possesion is going to be key, they have an older side so if we can starve them of possession and force them to back up set after set we can take some of the juice out their legs.

In fact if we got down their end before a score id be tempted to not try and score too much but force back to back sets, as many as you could get away with.

we need to make it awkward for them and stop them getting in a rhythm. id kick early throughout the game on different tackles to keep them turning round. Lets keep Peacock and Big Lu on their feet. Run at them constantly during the opening exchanges.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
lcharnock2

Re: Tactics vs leeds

Post by lcharnock2 »

Exactly what I was going mad about at the game a couple of weeks ago re kicking the ball dead. Negative play but you have to play to your strengths/opposition's weaknesses. When our line was set and organised Leeds really struggled to get out of their half without penalties or a bounce of the ball. IMO we need to do this on Saturday with the side we are playing with.

We HAVE to hammer them down the middle behind the play the ball. Daryl Clark had great joy against them last week by getting behind their markers, and I feel we went wide way too early last time out v Leeds. This Wigan team have shown they learn lessons and hopefully this Saturday we'll see it once more. Whether it be enough with our weakened squad I don't know, but I am 100% sure we will give a better account of ourselves.
WESTCUMBRIARIVERSIDER

Re: Tactics vs leeds

Post by WESTCUMBRIARIVERSIDER »

lcharnock2 wrote:Exactly what I was going mad about at the game a couple of weeks ago re kicking the ball dead. Negative play but you have to play to your strengths/opposition's weaknesses. When our line was set and organised Leeds really struggled to get out of their half without penalties or a bounce of the ball. IMO we need to do this on Saturday with the side we are playing with.

We HAVE to hammer them down the middle behind the play the ball. Daryl Clark had great joy against them last week by getting behind their markers, and I feel we went wide way too early last time out v Leeds. This Wigan team have shown they learn lessons and hopefully this Saturday we'll see it once more. Whether it be enough with our weakened squad I don't know, but I am 100% sure we will give a better account of ourselves.
look a couple of years ago what happened with our "weakened side", lets hope for a repeat of that one. fingers crossed