Vaelaeki OUT

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mario

Re: Vaelaeki OUT

Post by mario »

Doug Stand posted:
robjoenz posted:
is because the whole team is so understrengthed.
Never a more true statement said... I do have to say though Rob, that I'm not overally enamoured with the the bloke featuring on your avator there...
To use a common phrase "I've seen better centres in cadbury's roses"... now I know he's been playing on the wing but I don't think he's up to it at centre or wing.

Apologies if you think he's great and fantastic just thought and he is to you what Orr is to Hayley. Just though I'd mention it whilst we were talking centres. After my recent Orr bashing campaign I don't want to cause any trouble just mentioning it that's all...
It would be better to judge Aspinwall as a centre if he was given the chance to play centre for more than a game at a time.He is'nt his best as a winger and this probably does'nt do his confidence any good not being able to play his favoured position.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Doug Stand posted:
Apologies if you think he's great and fantastic just thought and he is to you what Orr is to Hayley. Just though I'd mention it whilst we were talking centres. After my recent Orr bashing campaign I don't want to cause any trouble just mentioning it that's all...
I do like Aspinwall but I'm not a fanatic like Hayley Orr. I thought he was superb when he broke into the squad and had established himself as a strong, good tackling centre. Unfortunately he is being played out on the wing where as it has been much discussed we don't get the best out of him.

His main advantage over Vaealiki is that he can tackle and he can tackle well. He might not have the same strength as Vaealiki but they're both doing similar jobs going forward at the moment. Both could do better. Aspinwall doesn't have a problem finding his winger, only trouble at the moment is that he is the winger and is expected to pace it down the line which we all know he hasn't got the speed for.

Admittedly Aspinwall isn't what you'd class as a flair player, he's more a reliable type of player comparable to Tickle, he rarely makes mistakes and works hard and usually retains his composure (with the expections of kung fu kicking and hitting Mick Nanyn).
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Rob,
I've come to expect nothing less than this very eloquent & articulate defence of a very average player :)
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Let's face it, he's rubbish. I have not given up on DV yet, though, I think he is not in our top 5 problems. I have given up on this season, and Danny Orr, though.

I was looking through some old tables recently and saw that Leeds had been nearly bottom at the start of Super League. As I recall they then appointed Graham Murray who came in and gave them loads of biff. It took a while, but they had enough bigm hard men to take the pressure off the youngsters our Deano was developing... if our lot stood up and admitted that, through a combination of factors within and outside ourt control, this year isn't going to happen, but we were going to spend the rest of the year looking at building for the future, I think I could live with that, because I could see that we have a number of class acts young enough to go well...

I know it's off the point, but it was on my mind.
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
Let's face it, he's rubbish. I have not given up on DV yet, though, I think he is not in our top 5 problems. I have given up on this season, and Danny Orr, though.

I was looking through some old tables recently and saw that Leeds had been nearly bottom at the start of Super League. As I recall they then appointed Graham Murray who came in and gave them loads of
biff. It took a while, but they had enough bigm hard men to take the pressure off the youngsters our Deano was developing... if our lot stood up and admitted that, through a combination of factors within and outside ourt control, this year isn't going to happen, but we were going to spend the rest of the year looking at building for the future, I think I could live with that, because I could see that we have a number of class acts young enough to go well...

I know it's off the point, but it was on my mind.
:angry: Well said Exile, all apart from the class youngster bit, I feel they are above average but not class, the 2 or 3 class youngsters have been allowed to leaves by dopey Doris !

First Doris says wh need to win silverware, the next day he's saying he was expecting some poor results as we where playing above our weight ????

I think he's lost the plot !!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

we_need_a_coach posted:

:angry: Well said Exile, all apart from the class youngster bit, I feel they are above average but not class, the 2 or 3 class youngsters have been allowed to leaves by dopey Doris !
I agree about the above average comment in that we far too readily attach potential world class lables to a lot of the kids coming through. Sometimes payers at the age of 18 or 19 just stop developing as you hope and don't make it in terms of being what you might call a class player.

Sometimes it works the other way for example O'Loughlin. Two seasons ago people were questioning his place in the team. By the end of the season he was playing well v Australia in a test match!

So it cuts both ways which means the message is we have no idea how players will turn out as they get older.

That is partly why I disagree with your comment about class youngsters being allowed to leave by Mo.

There are only two who you can be talking about and they are Briscoe and Robinson and the pair of them are also "above average" in my opinion. In the same way we have no idea if Hansen will become a "class" player the same still applies to these two.

They won't be last above average players to be cut from Wigan either. The 20/20 will ensure we have to release players and all you can do is make a judgement at the time as to who you keep and who you release.

The club will get some of those decisions right and some wrong. No dount only the wrong decisions will be highlighted on message boards despite the fact there is a good chance we will retain the best of the bunch.

Dave
bertina

Post by bertina »

Absolutely right.
It's easy to be wise after the event.Don't forget, Luke Robinson did well coming off the bench as a sub, but when Adrian Lam got injured and Robinson had to step up and take on the responsibility himself, he had lots of games to impress, and most of the time looked very ordinary indeed. I well remember him taking plenty of stick from the terraces, and on this message board as well, but as soon as we let him go, certain fans are up in arms.
Danny orr was playing out of his skin at Castleford,we badly needed a stand off, we sign him, but his form has been awful for us.
Dennis Moran was a hero at London, we sign him, but up to now he hasn't shown the same form for us.
As you say sometimes things just don't work out.
It's easy to say we should keep all the youngsters, but we all know that the salary cap and the 20/20 rule make that impossible.sometimes the decisions about who goes and who stays go wrong.THAT'S LIFE.
pedro

Post by pedro »

i think our problem is that we have no playmaker. Moran isnt good enough as a no 7. He doesnt attack the line he is a support player like a fullback. Orr can play there but he chose not too against leeds which shifted us into 1 amn rugby agin! We attacked the line once when moran took the ball and scored. As for our pack. Ive not seen many teams get any change from our pack this season apart from when we replace Newton. The same happened last season when we brought Smith on. They just dont have the size or rugby brain of Newton. We need 2 good half backs as Orr for me although youngish is past it and Moran isnt good enough. Sorry for the negativity but after Friday and that Try by Bai in the corner the team all stood there any ball watched. I was ashamed of them in the last 20. There is no excuse for this and for me the blame lies totally with the coach. MO doesnt dictate what happens on the pitchBetts does and he isnt good enough either for me (good player doesnt = good coach).

Well thats my whine. God help us on Friday i'll probably cry myself to sleep again for the third week running :(
pedro

Post by pedro »

My god my punctuation is terible sorry all :D
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:( A new coach would sort out a lot of our problems, first thing would be to create a team on the pitch ! then you can go after new players !!!