v Hudds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
georgeorwell

Re: v Hudds

Post by georgeorwell »

The players - on both sides - and we fans, deserve better officiating than this. It's one of the hardest games in world sport, run by inadequates. Yet another game spoiled by bad reffing. I think the players are amazing that they hold their composure when all their hard work is ruined in seconds by bad decisions. I know I would go loopy! I have no love of Union but they sure know how to run their game; make our lot look like amateurs. Is it any wonder increasing numbers of players want to go Union.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Sorry while I don't disagree with the bad ref calls leading to their first 2 tries that wasn't why we lost.

We lacked intensity tonight, I think we felt mickey macs absence. The young lads probably needed this to be honest as a feet grounding experience against a full strength hudds team. I think myself (and certainly sky) had forgotten how much class is sat on our bench ATM and hudds at full strength was never going to be easy.

Line speed and collision was poor after the first 20mins. We had enough in us to win this game but can't blame the refs we just weren't clinical enough

Positives though Bateman and burgess are going to be be world class. Rocky needs more time too he is so dangerous and we lifted when he came on
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The biggest blight re officiating is how slow the POTB has become.
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

Agreed, Bateman is some player and I think there's a lot more to come from him.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Tonight began with Magic Weekend.

Wire humiliated Saints. "We were embarrassing tonight" said their captain.

Last week, Saints battered Huddersfield. "We were shite!" said their coach.

They needed the win more than we did. But if my theory is correct, we will respond in the same way against Cas, which actually matters.

Someone on RedVee asked how many players we had missing tonight. I thought I answered truthfully.

NONE!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Tonight's game was winnable despite our absentees and ref decisions which is as much a blight against hudds and the league as anything else.

We played in 2nd gear all night, Bowen and lockers were no where near fit IMO but I understand the logic of giving them game time in a throw away fixture.

As i said the loss will do the young lads as much good if not more as another win.

I'm not the least bit concerned by tonight's result, big game next week and I expect improvement across the board
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think we were out-coached. We set off fast for 20 mins and Hudds knew we would. They were patient, put the subs on and we ran out of steam.

I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

Whether decisions going against us knocked the confidence or not I don't know but I don't think we played a smart game against what we knew was a full strength Hudds side.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Knocking bet for next week!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm afraid that I have no faith in the RFL to look into this match. The dangerous throw not even mentioned in the first 10 minutes was typical. Every week players are routinely brought before the Disciplinary Panel - bet this one isn't.

I never realised that Ferres was such a sneaky thug - welcome to the new Ben Westwood.

I've also stuck up for Eddie & Stevo for a number of years because SKY has brought proper SL coverage to us. I think it may be time for them to be moved on now. Paul Cullen is an embarrassment and they really need new blood.

The final insult was Earl Crabtree as MOM. Now, I like Crabtree - I think he's a big, strong fairly honest pro and he will make a very good summariser when he packs in. But MOM?

Did no one see how he was pushed back by Wigan when he came on as sub all through the first half? At least they didn't give it to Brough, who had his usual poor game against a top-ranked team.

That was refereeing at its worst and coverage at its poorest. By the end Wigan were poor but it is the kind of match that will kill SL if it continues.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:I think we were out-coached. We set off fast for 20 mins and Hudds knew we would. They were patient, put the subs on and we ran out of steam.

I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

Whether decisions going against us knocked the confidence or not I don't know but I don't think we played a smart game against what we knew was a full strength Hudds side.
I think you are giving far too much credit to Anderson and his subs when for me the clear game changer was Thaler on the 20 minute mark, this coincided with the introduction of Hudds subs and they got on a roll. We were in full control and should have had a scrum on half way which at that point probably would have made it 18-0 ball in hand again making their subs less of a threat without the ball.

I agree however we were dumb at times and could have played much better.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett