Time to stop the pre game silly nonsense in the media?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Time to stop the pre game silly nonsense in the media?

Post by cpwigan »

I know wane likes to use quotes from opposing clubs in the media but IMO v Cas it backfired badly.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6653524

Such nonsense seemed to have the reverse effect failing to inspire our players and making the Cas ones more determined. Surely, you can only use such nonsense infrequently and even then I am not sure I want to see my club indulging in such nonsense.
thegimble

Re: Time to stop the pre game silly nonsense in the media?

Post by thegimble »

One area Madge was better than Wane was his handling of himself with the media.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

That is at least 4 to 5 threads now that have directly or indirectly had a go at SW, come on CP what is really your issue/problem with him?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I personally think that Waney new we were up against it, due to injuries etc., and was therefore trying to find some form of motivation. I am generally not in favour of such an approach.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:roll: I have no issue with anybody as long as I believe they are the best for Wigan RLFC. Personally, I will never doubt Shaun Wane for sincerity and passion for this great club BUT IMO in terms of RL philosophy / coaching intelligence I think he leaves a lot to be desired. Remember, this is the man who promised Wiganers he would be far better than Madge. Is he / has he delivered?

Likewise IL who IMO wants the glory / accolades that go with owning his home town club but I doubt his willingness to spend sufficient money to allow this club to dominate RL because IMO we should we be doing so particularly as the standard of SL is declining. Owning Wigan RLFC should never be a penny pinching exercise!

I could not care less what others think. My thoughts are mine and I am honest enough to express them without fear of stupid threats (NOT YOU BTW). However, I refuse to be blinded by so called supporter loyalty.
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote: :roll: I have no issue with anybody as long as I believe they are the best for Wigan RLFC. Personally, I will never doubt Shaun Wane for sincerity and passion for this great club BUT IMO in terms of RL philosophy / coaching intelligence I think he leaves a lot to be desired. Remember, this is the man who promised Wiganers he would be far better than Madge. Is he / has he delivered?

Likewise IL who IMO wants the glory / accolades that go with owning his home town club but I doubt his willingness to spend sufficient money to allow this club to dominate RL because IMO we should we be doing so particularly as the standard of SL is declining. Owning Wigan RLFC should never be a penny pinching exercise!

I could not care less what others think. My thoughts are mine and I am honest enough to express them without fear of stupid threats (NOT YOU BTW). However, I refuse to be blinded by so called supporter loyalty.
I do and always will have respect for your posts and I do appreciate what you are saying. I am just going to pick up on your Madge/Wane comparison! Madge was a fantastic coach that won the GF with the same squad that failed miserably under someone else's coaching, however it was still a better squad than what Wane currently has (whether that is Wanes or IL's fault is a whole new argument). The next year Madge had arguably the best squad we have had in at least 10-12 years but only won the CC when the GF should have been a given as well but the squad ended that season awfully for whatever reason. I know if Wane would have been in charge it would have definitely been his fault, it didn't seem to be Madges!! Wane failed miserably in his first season after big promises but in his second season massively overachieved in my opinion after the players we lost the year before. I know the standard of SL is declining but in a nutshell I don't think Madge and Wane are as far apart in terms of coaching that some make out!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Likewise yours TB. I do think the senior player standard has declined whilst the academy player standard has improved. I do think Madge brought a lot to our club and as his assistant, provided Wane with an exemplary education. No coach is perfect and the end of Madge was poor by his standards. I / we can never say but I think the CC was his key target in that season and thereafter he possibly dropped his own high standards. I cannot believe, any man / wiman can be 100% focussed on their existing position having secured employment elsewhere.

I do believe Wane has a very different RL philosophy to that the best antipodeans brought to British RL. In many ways it is very old school British RL, something we laugh at when written by Gary schofield for example. Hence, the Wane statements that he could / woud do better and beat teams by bigger margins etc. I do not think Wane truly bought into what Madge offered him.

I know Madge stood his ground with IL over several issues to get the best for the team and he won all the issues I know of. I have never yet, heard of Wane standing his ground v IL.

It is just my opinion but I honestly believe we were set up to dominate British RL for several seasons but self harm to silly degrees which has led to less success than we should have / should be attaining.

My measure of the great Wigan RLFC eras is that we should beat any British team on any given day if the game truly matters. Great Wigan teams did that and still should IMO. I also expect Wigan to be competitive v NRL clubs. If they are not at their best we should be good enough to beat them. If NRL teams are at their best I would never expect Wigan to win but I would like to think we gave them problems.
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote:Likewise yours TB. I do think the senior player standard has declined whilst the academy player standard has improved. I do think Madge brought a lot to our club and as his assistant, provided Wane with an exemplary education. No coach is perfect and the end of Madge was poor by his standards. I / we can never say but I think the CC was his key target in that season and thereafter he possibly dropped his own high standards. I cannot believe, any man / wiman can be 100% focussed on their existing position having secured employment elsewhere.

I do believe Wane has a very different RL philosophy to that the best antipodeans brought to British RL. In many ways it is very old school British RL, something we laugh at when written by Gary schofield for example. Hence, the Wane statements that he could / woud do better and beat teams by bigger margins etc. I do not think Wane truly bought into what Madge offered him.

I know Madge stood his ground with IL over several issues to get the best for the team and he won all the issues I know of. I have never yet, heard of Wane standing his ground v IL.

It is just my opinion but I honestly believe we were set up to dominate British RL for several seasons but self harm to silly degrees which has led to less success than we should have / should be attaining.

My measure of the great Wigan RLFC eras is that we should beat any British team on any given day if the game truly matters. Great Wigan teams did that and still should IMO. I also expect Wigan to be competitive v NRL clubs. If they are not at their best we should be good enough to beat them. If NRL teams are at their best I would never expect Wigan to win but I would like to think we gave them problems.
Yep, fair post that!!
markill

Post by markill »

This time it was silly and the only lack of respect that it's developing is from fans of other clubs for Wane. They see him as a moaner. He certainly made a mistake this time round and rather than motivate anyone it possibly embarrassed them, I felt a bit embarrassed by them as a Wigan fan.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
BriH

Post by BriH »

Maybe we expect too much of SW particularly when the team has been shot to bits with injuries!
This is the guy who took a rookie team to Leeds and beat them!!
The old story: when things are going great the Coach is fantastic. When things are going badly it's all the Coaches fault!
Just a blip: we will return.