Giants hold on to beat Rhinos

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Giants hold on to beat Rhinos

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos lost at home for the first time this season, going down 22-24 to Huddersfield Giants at Headingley Carnegie.

How it unfolded

The Rhinos began the game with Ben Jones-Bishop replacing the suspended Zak Hardaker at fullback, while they were still without the injured Danny McGuire, Rob Burrow and Paul Aiton.

Robbie Ward was selected to start as hooker, while Josh Walters, who made his debut in the Challenge Cup a week earlier against Leigh, was on the bench for his Super League debut, alongside Tom Briscoe’s younger brother Luke.

The Giants were without Leroy Cudjoe, who pulled out on the day of the game with illness, and hooker Shaun Lunt. Aaron Murphy moved into the centre, with Jodie Broughton coming into the side on the left wing.

Once again the Giants started a match slowly, as the Rhinos opened the scoring after five minutes with a try by Kallum Watkins, who stepped beautifully between Joe Wardle and Danny Brough to touch down.

Sinfield’s conversion gave Leeds a six-point lead, but then the Rhinos skipper blotted his copybook by kicking out on the full, giving the Giants the chance to get back into the game. And they did, when halfback Kyle Wood stepped through the Leeds defence for Brough to convert and level the scores.

After a Sinfield kick won a goal-line drop-out, the Rhinos moved the ball quickly to the left, and Joel Moon laid it back inside for Jones-Bishop to touch down, with Sinfield’s conversion restoring a six-point lead.

There were mistakes aplenty by both sides, but neither side scored again in the first half.

But it was a different story in the second, as the Giants posted three converted tries in ten minutes to take a 12-24 lead after 57 minutes.

Jermaine McGillvary got the first after a great tackle by Joe Wardle dislodged the ball from Jones-Bishop and the Giants spread the ball beautifully to the right.
And they took the lead when Eorl Crabtree scored under the posts from a Luke Robinson pass.

Wardle scored their fourth try after great work by Brett Ferres down the left.
But the Rhinos weren’t finished, and after Zeb Taia knocked on and then conceded a penalty, Ryan Bailey scored a try that, crucially, Sinfield couldn’t convert.

But on 66 minutes the Rhinos edged to within two points, when a Sinfield kick to the corner was not taken by Murphy, and Liam Sutcliffe pounced to touch down, with Sinfield adding the conversion from near touch.

The Giant thought they were safe when Brough landed his second 40-20 on 78 minutes, but in a thrilling final move of the game, the Rhinos kept the ball alive superbly and Tom Briscoe followed up a Joel Moon kick to the line and thought he had won the game.

However, the video referee ruled that he had pushed Brough out of the way when chasing the ball, and the try was disallowed.

It was the Giants fourth successive win in Super League at Headingley.

http://www.totalrl.com/2738806/?utm_sou ... gn=2738806
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Giants hold on to beat Rhinos

Post by medlocke »

Sick to death of these Thursday night fixtures, why can't we have Sunday night games back
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

medlocke wrote:Sick to death of these Thursday night fixtures, why can't we have Sunday night games back
Exactly, all games with the exception of the ones chosen by Sky should be on a Sunday with a standard 3.00 pm kick off.

Far more atmosphere when on a Sunday as more supporters had chance to have a drink prior to a game which in turns helps to create more atmosphere!

And you get more away supporters, especially from the opposite side of the pennines than you do at night because of the M62 being a nightmare at the time supporters travel for a game.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why do you need to have a drink to create an atmosphere???

My friends & myself dont have a drink & we are always singing!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I prefer Friday nights.
Most games are under lights and have a great atsmosphere.
It's a good end to the working week, watch the game have a drink and a chat afterwards then wake up in the morning with the whole weekend ahead of you.
SKY are the ones who want Thursdays, most certainly not the fans. 13k at Headingly last night way down on their usual Friday attendance numbers.

As for the game, a good spectacle with many controversial incidents. Felt sorry for Ta'ai who made those mistakes. Two errors made and the SKY crew slaughtered him as it changed the game.
Unlike the previous Giants game when two mistakes by the officials changed the game and nothing was said.
If they laid into the officials when they make match changing errors the way they do players we would probably have far higher reffing standards than we do now.

A good game and shows the importance of the VR as they can decide the result of a game. They were right to disallow Briscoe's effort last night as they were right to disallow the Moon touch down v us at Manchester.
We need them at every game not just televised ones.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

josie andrews wrote:Why do you need to have a drink to create an atmosphere???

Drunk on anticipation? :o
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I darent with my waterworks if i have a drink,i'm up & down like a newly-weds night dress. :conf:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I consistently forget there is a match on and only remember when I find out the score afterwards.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

No doubt you and your friends do, but many others need a bit of the 'amber nectre' to stir them.

All part of a great day out for many on a Sunday!

p.s. Are you and your friends 'temperance' by any chance and by singing, a rendering of 'we will gather by the river' (nearby Douglas being in mind) ?

Just joking!