Bowen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dobby

Bowen

Post by Dobby »

Would you retain him or not?

Although he shows some brilliance at times, like tonight, I personally wouldnt as I dont think he fits into our style of play. He does some freakish things and defensively and positionally is far superior to Sam imo. However I do think he is a major reason as to why our right side is often starved of the ball and he blows a lot of overlaps by going himself when there would be tries if he just passed.

With the way we attack it certainly doesnt function the same without a playmaking fullback. For me we either need to change our style of play to accomodate him or change full back. I cant see the style of play changing and certainly dont think we can leave out Hampshire for another year and would simply play Hampshire at full back next season instead.
Kaii

Re: Bowen

Post by Kaii »

Why not have a night when you are just happy for a good win
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kaii wrote:Why not have a night when you are just happy for a good win
Where's the fun in that for a lot of people on here :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Dobby wrote:Would you retain him or not?

Although he shows some brilliance at times, like tonight, I personally wouldnt as I dont think he fits into our style of play. He does some freakish things and defensively and positionally is far superior to Sam imo. However I do think he is a major reason as to why our right side is often starved of the ball and he blows a lot of overlaps by going himself when there would be tries if he just passed.

With the way we attack it certainly doesnt function the same without a playmaking fullback. For me we either need to change our style of play to accomodate him or change full back. I cant see the style of play changing and certainly dont think we can leave out Hampshire for another year and would simply play Hampshire at full back next season instead.
Are you being serious or baiting someone.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

cherry.pie wrote:

The problem with the last part is that Hampshire is pretty poor defensively and not very safe under the high ball. It's not like Tomkins who has always caught the easy ones but sometimes struggled to compete. Hampshire drops some of the easy ones and I don't think has ever caught a ball he's had to compete for.
It's going to be a big risk having him as our first choice fullback.

I do agree that Bowen doesn't quite fit into our attacking style of play though. Most of the tries he scores are long distance, broken field runs because he's just a freakish player who has always been capable of things like that.

He seems to have the tendency to play much narrower than Tomkins ever did and as a result the centres have had less space to work with. It was bound to be hard for him to adapt though given he's played his entire career for one club before moving here.

I do think our next fullback is likely to come from within, whether it's Sarginson (who I think is currently the best understudy to Bowen), Hampshire (who needs work on the defensive aspects of his game - his attack is excellent), Tierney (who still has plenty to work on) or in the longer term Gabriel Fell (who in my opinion has more potential as a fullback than all 3).

Any new signing would take time to adapt. It's useful to have a player of the quality of Bowen, even if he's at the end of his career and his body seems to be suffering a bit. I'd rather have Bowen as an option right now than not.
Very good post Cherry and summing up of the facts. Hampshire is an exciting player but his lack of experience at present is a negative for his position of full back. He also looks smaller and slighter even than Sam so will struggle in any competitive battle with an opponent. He just needs time and patience from the fans if he makes a mistake or two, as he'll continue to learn for a youngster that he is, and has a brilliant future, hopefully at Wigan.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

He's a class act, enjoy him whilst you can!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:

Are you being serious or baiting someone.
Can't say much or I will receive another two week ban for speaking my democratic mind. And here was I believing a yellow card was issued first. :cool:
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

cherry.pie wrote:The problem with the last part is that Hampshire is pretty poor defensively and not very safe under the high ball. It's not like Tomkins who has always caught the easy ones but sometimes struggled to compete. Hampshire drops some of the easy ones and I don't think has ever caught a ball he's had to compete for.
It's going to be a big risk having him as our first choice fullback.

I do agree that Bowen doesn't quite fit into our attacking style of play though. Most of the tries he scores are long distance, broken field runs because he's just a freakish player who has always been capable of things like that.

He seems to have the tendency to play much narrower than Tomkins ever did and as a result the centres have had less space to work with. It was bound to be hard for him to adapt though given he's played his entire career for one club before moving here.

I do think our next fullback is likely to come from within, whether it's Sarginson (who I think is currently the best understudy to Bowen), Hampshire (who needs work on the defensive aspects of his game - his attack is excellent), Tierney (who still has plenty to work on) or in the longer term Gabriel Fell (who in my opinion has more potential as a fullback than all 3).

Any new signing would take time to adapt. It's useful to have a player of the quality of Bowen, even if he's at the end of his career and his body seems to be suffering a bit. I'd rather have Bowen as an option right now than not.
Sarginson is a good call and is someone who I tipped as having great potential at full back when we signed him, I even thought he might have been signed to play there before we signed Bowen. He would be a safer choice than Hampshire and is fast and elusive. I cant say I have seen much evidence that he could be a playmaker based on what I have seen at centre but that is a completely different skillset. He has experience at Stand Off so you would imagine he has some playmaking ability.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:He's a class act, enjoy him whilst you can!
Yes he's one class act something I said from the outset.I for one will enjoy this guy's skill until he or the club decide a parting of the ways is the order of the day :D
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Must retain him.
His experience is invaluable with such a young squad.
That interception try was exceptional. How could we not want to keep such an outstanding talent.