Possible Signing?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Possible Signing?

Post by Fraggle »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Go to the Hull board on RLFans.com - there's some interesting stuff on this Fletcher lad there!!
You mean like they can't decide if he's called Richard or Paul???!!! Always an interesting read, RLFans, it amazes me how so many messages can be posted and how little of it contains any truth or relevance to anything!

Anyway, I can't remember this Richard Fletcher bloke playing against us, but by the sound of things he's been injured a lot of the time. Having said that, Easts seems like a half-decent club, Darren Smith's the coach, they've got Brandon Costin and Nigel Roy on their books and Steve Renouf played for them last year, finishing the season with a broken arm - sounds painfully familiar for The Pearl!. A feeder club for Brisbane Broncos with some recognised professionals, so they should train pretty well.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

Stapleton played for Parramatta last year and was one of our better players. He's a very strong, no nonsense player who gives his all every game. He was in trouble a few times for high tackles so needs to work on that but he's not a thug.
There was actually an incident with Hopoate at the start of the season where Hoppa and him got into a fight and both got sin binned. The cameras showed the two players standing in the tunnel waiting to come back on after the 10 minutes. Hoppa was still giving it to Stapo, wanting to carry on with it and start another fight. Stapleton just stood with his back to Hoppa and laughed at his carrying on. He then apologised to the ref while he was running back on. So despite the trouble he had at times, he's a hard man but also a very disciplined one.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Vaealikis Girl posted:
Stapleton played for Parramatta last year and was one of our better players. He's a very strong, no nonsense player who gives his all every game. He was in trouble a few times for high tackles so needs to work on that but he's not a thug.
There was actually an incident with Hopoate at the start of the season where Hoppa and him got into a fight and both got sin binned. The cameras showed the two players standing in the tunnel waiting to come back on after the 10 minutes. Hoppa was still giving it to Stapo, wanting to carry on with it and start another fight. Stapleton just stood with his back to Hoppa and laughed at his carrying on. He then apologised to the ref while he was running back on. So despite the trouble he had at times, he's a hard man but also a very disciplined one.
Top info from down under as usual VG - many thanks and please keep it going!!! What do you know about Richard Fletcher?
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

I don't actually know anything about a Richard Fletcher but could you mean Brian Fletcher?
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Vaealikis Girl posted:
I don't actually know anything about a Richard Fletcher but could you mean Brian Fletcher?
Richard, Paul, Brian... what's a name between friends eh?! I wonder if he's really Portuguese with 15 forenames?

He's an ex-Hull FC player who was released by them due to injury and moved to Aus after our season finished last year. That's all we know, but I guess he may not have played outside the local Queensland League?

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Will we have money available for him now or do we have to wait until Farrell buggers off?
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Will we have money available for him now or do we have to wait until Farrell buggers off?
There's that £10k that ML said we made as profit. But the issue isn't money to buy the player out of his current contract (and a Queensland League contract shouldn't be as expensive as an SL/NRL contract) but more the salary cap rules and I guess until Farrell has gone he's still occupying a 20/20 slot. Why they've kept him on the books until June is a mystery to me, he should have either stayed or gone straight away.

[hr]
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I agree but I went on a Hull board last night and they weren't too happy about us signing their Ex - seems there were a lot of them not too pleased that he was released. Now worried he will come back to haunt them!!
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:angry: We are realy clutching at straws now, Fletcher ?? Lam to come out of retirement ?

This does'nt sound like a solid foundation for a long term plan does it !

What on earth is Doris playing at, I am realy starting to get a bad feeling about the lack of effort, and the lack of any comments coming from the Wigan camp, (apart from the rantings of Betts that is)

Come on Doris do something, I'm dreading the trip to Bradford !!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

wnac,
As I've said before, who else can we sign at this stage of the season but players like this? I'm happy to give him a go if it's on a performance basis - don't give him a 2/3 yr deal. With Hock and Lockers back next yr he could be way down the pecking order.