Jack Hughes

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dobby

Jack Hughes

Post by Dobby »

I know he is not always everyones cup of tea but Hughes has impressed me in recent weeks and I think that he deserves a mention. He is a great athlete, has pace to burn and is still only 22. If he can continue to improve technically he will get even better. Unfortunately he is often made a scapegoat by some fans and seemingly the coaching staff as well at times and never seems to get a good run in the side to build up any sort of form. Where he will be left with a backrow of Bateman, Tomkins, Farrell and O'Loughlin all competing I dont know.

He is one of those players that is much better when he starts games as I think he struggles a little when coming off the bench to get involved. When he starts a game he is a different player imo.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Jack Hughes

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Dobby wrote:I know he is not always everyones cup of tea but Hughes has impressed me in recent weeks and I think that he deserves a mention. He is a great athlete, has pace to burn and is still only 22. If he can continue to improve technically he will get even better. Unfortunately he is often made a scapegoat by some fans and seemingly the coaching staff as well at times and never seems to get a good run in the side to build up any sort of form. Where he will be left with a backrow of Bateman, Tomkins, Farrell and O'Loughlin all competing I dont know.

He is one of those players that is much better when he starts games as I think he struggles a little when coming off the bench to get involved. When he starts a game he is a different player imo.
Funny that because I thought he was one of our worst players last night.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Funny that because I thought he was one of our worst players last night.
I thought he did a ton of work and seemed to make a lot of tackles and drives compared to some of the forwards.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Dobby wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Funny that because I thought he was one of our worst players last night.
I thought he did a ton of work and seemed to make a lot of tackles and drives compared to some of the forwards.
The stats say he was one of our best performers.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Post by markill »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Dobby wrote:
They say he was hard working but don't suggest much quality to me. He's been in strong form, particularly when Faz was injured but last night I don't think he played well. He didn't really hit any holes, although Saints defence had something to do with that, and he didn't seem very strong in the tackle, not dropping off many but being forced back in the tackle a few times. Not his best game, not his worst.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

markill wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Dobby wrote: I thought he did a ton of work and seemed to make a lot of tackles and drives compared to some of the forwards.
They say he was hard working but don't suggest much quality to me. He's been in strong form, particularly when Faz was injured but last night I don't think he played well. He didn't really hit any holes, although Saints defence had something to do with that, and he didn't seem very strong in the tackle, not dropping off many but being forced back in the tackle a few times. Not his best game, not his worst.
I would go with that description. Distinctly mediocre
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

butt monkey wrote:
markill wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: The stats say he was one of our best performers.
I would go with that description. Distinctly mediocre
But better than most?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

TBH he stood out as a problem for me rather than a solution. He must have done the graft well because I didn't notice anything good or bad there, but when we were attacking it did seem that we lost a lot compared to Faz. He didn't seem to have that threat that Faz often has last night. He is young though and I am more than happy for him to continue improving at Wigan. Right now he wouldn't be in my first choice team though (but then half of that team is injured).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I tend to agree with Mike but equally he did everything Faz does BAR looking dangerous as the lead runner. Hughes tends to like to hit the ball fast and direct whereas Faz is comfortable slowing / adjusting / stepping before taking the defensive line on.

Bateman having his worst game in Cherry and White did not help. Personally I think someone like Burke on the bench would have offered more flexibility than Medlocke James.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Dobby wrote:
I would never question his commitment but I thought his basic RL skills on the night were poor, handling, tackling technique, passing, carries!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett