Fatigue ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Fatigue ?

Post by cpwigan »

RL is an energy sapping sport but increasingly Wigan look tired compared to opposing teams. Why is that?

Strength & conditioning? We have the best in RL

Medical treatment? We have the best in RL

Playing style? IMO yes. NO club uses the same amount of energy when in possession as we do. When you move the ball laterally so much, when you involve so many players in each play then you are IMO utilising a greater amount of energy and the end result; field position and possession can be comparatively poorer.

Having wasted so much energy for nothing you are then being asked to use vast anounts of energy defending. The way Wigan play defeats themselves more often than not.
Dobby

Re: Fatigue ?

Post by Dobby »

I would blame injuries as much as anything and a lack of match fitness from many players. Some players have been out for quite a while and depending on their injuries wouldnt have been training properly or to anything like the same level and it shows. Flower yesterday was a prime example, started off on fire then faded badly.

For the last couple of months our pack has also been very small and playing against much bigger teams. Being constantly dominated in the collision also adds to the fatigue.
menpond

Post by menpond »

In his first season,Wane insisted on full contact in training,and some of the props reputedly did not think that was the best way to prepare on a weekly basis. Season fizzled away. Last year We came hard at season end, and did the double,admittedly the challenge cup run was the easiest in history. Just how good was the form in the PLAY OFFS to the Grand Final? Good enough to win,for sure. If it was a weak year,ie top 4 other clubs in transition,has it lead to Wane overrating his own YOUNG players? Sending them out at LEEDS with strict instructions to smash the opposition,exhorting them onwards with etcetera left them physically shattered/? Hence Castleford debacle.? Injuries are killing the season,plus starting the season one prop short. If WANE can put it all together and run to the GF then he will be in Mcguires class. Lets hope he is.
mp
curryman

Post by curryman »

menpond wrote:In his first season,Wane insisted on full contact in training,and some of the props reputedly did not think that was the best way to prepare on a weekly basis. Season fizzled away. Last year We came hard at season end, and did the double,admittedly the challenge cup run was the easiest in history. Just how good was the form in the PLAY OFFS to the Grand Final? Good enough to win,for sure. If it was a weak year,ie top 4 other clubs in transition,has it lead to Wane overrating his own YOUNG players? Sending them out at LEEDS with strict instructions to smash the opposition,exhorting them onwards with etcetera left them physically shattered/? Hence Castleford debacle.? Injuries are killing the season,plus starting the season one prop short. If WANE can put it all together and run to the GF then he will be in Mcguires class. Lets hope he is.
I concur. I think the young ones have been looking shattered since Magic. Against Saints I thought several players played whilst carrying injuries - Bateman, O'Loughlin, Charnley, Dudson - whilst others just look worn out, Taylor and Gelling being obvious examples.

Fortunately, the toughest part of the fixture list has been completed, we have 7 games in the 10 weeks left before the Leeds game, so should hit the playoffs relatively fresh.

I do think, though, that despite our enormous squad, we need some new recruits for next season. I'd say we need a top of the range centre and an experienced half back to replace Green.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Recruitment needs to focus ,as it has vbeen for 4 years,on getting some power into the side,and a better balance. One more prop ,ie a real 17 stone ,prop is a must,and a proper second row Betts/Hoffman style to go with Tomkins.AND gelling in the second row.Bateman is very small for a forward,and why not look to develope him as stand off /centre? He will kill himself playing as he does now weekly. A Centre might be handy, but forwards need sorting outfirst . The lightweight second rowers Hughes Farrell. would have to fight for their places.,. Centres need beefing up as well. There is too much talk on here on them needing to get their man away. Thats a basic requirement for any top Rughy player,but what about making a break / beating a man to score. Wayne ball lets them hide by just passing on. Any top centre should be good enough to play second row.,at a pinch. I fear Wayne thinks Wiganers are all SUPERMAN,. even the smaller ones.BESTS
mp
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

menpond wrote:In his first season,Wane insisted on full contact in training,and some of the props reputedly did not think that was the best way to prepare on a weekly basis. Season fizzled away. Last year We came hard at season end, and did the double,admittedly the challenge cup run was the easiest in history. Just how good was the form in the PLAY OFFS to the Grand Final? Good enough to win,for sure. If it was a weak year,ie top 4 other clubs in transition,has it lead to Wane overrating his own YOUNG players? Sending them out at LEEDS with strict instructions to smash the opposition,exhorting them onwards with etcetera left them physically shattered/? Hence Castleford debacle.? Injuries are killing the season,plus starting the season one prop short. If WANE can put it all together and run to the GF then he will be in Mcguires class. Lets hope he is.
Sorry but I do not think that Waney insisted on full contact at training, where is your proof. Maybe a few sessions in pre season but there is no way a coach will have players smashing each other prior to a game, that would be beyond stupid. The players have nothing to prove by that, the coach knows they can tackle so why risk them. Yes I know players have been injured in training sessions, these things happen because they are highly trained athletes pushing their bodies to the limits and muscles can tear, you can twist your ankle trying to side step someone in an unopposed session or pull your groin.
I'm absolutely positive that Waney sends his team out and tells them to smash the other team, I would be concerned if he didnt because I'm sure the opposition are sent out with the same instructions. Which was in evidence with all the late shots from saints on friday. From what I can see we have forwards on the small-ish side who are mobile and bulked up to their physical limits. We do need some naturally big forwards rater than players like Flowers who is a great player but is probably a couple of stones over his natural weight. That said I think we have been unlucky with injuries but I have every faith in the team, backroom staff and Waney that we will be firing on all cylinders when we reach the playoffs and once again win them.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

slimshady wrote:
Sorry but I do not think that Waney insisted on full contact at training, where is your proof. Maybe a few sessions in pre season but there is no way a coach will have players smashing each other prior to a game, that would be beyond stupid. The players have nothing to prove by that, the coach knows they can tackle so why risk them. Yes I know players have been injured in training sessions, these things happen because they are highly trained athletes pushing their bodies to the limits and muscles can tear, you can twist your ankle trying to side step someone in an unopposed session or pull your groin.
I'm absolutely positive that Waney sends his team out and tells them to smash the other team, I would be concerned if he didnt because I'm sure the opposition are sent out with the same instructions. Which was in evidence with all the late shots from saints on friday. From what I can see we have forwards on the small-ish side who are mobile and bulked up to their physical limits. We do need some naturally big forwards rater than players like Flowers who is a great player but is probably a couple of stones over his natural weight. That said I think we have been unlucky with injuries but I have every faith in the team, backroom staff and Waney that we will be firing on all cylinders when we reach the playoffs and once again win them.
Well said!! :eusa2:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
slimshady wrote:
Well said!! :eusa2:

Agree ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think it has little to do with training and/or contact BUT rather how Wigan play requires tremendous excessive effort leading to fatigue and thus injuries.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Do we have any stats on metres run per attacking play for the team in comparison to other sides? I know the club will because of the stats boxes in each player.

IMO we are playing more conservatively in our out sets now than last year, so maybe our tactics are evovling.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆