Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kaii

Re: Gelling

Post by Kaii »

menpond wrote:Goulding should have been let go 3 years ago. The team has been carrying him. Competition for places is driving up standards across the board. How do you know who can do it in big games when there are no big games till the play offs? So how do you decide your best side? Wish we were at Wembley!!!!
IMO until this season Daz was our best center but now he's 4th choice behind Sarg, Thornley & Gelling
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

menpond wrote:Goulding should have been let go 3 years ago. The team has been carrying him. Competition for places is driving up standards across the board. How do you know who can do it in big games when there are no big games till the play offs? So how do you decide your best side? Wish we were at Wembley!!!!

Are you for real??

He was the second highest try scorer behind Pat Richards when playing out of position!

Josh has scored more tries with Goulding as his centre, than with any other player as his centre.

Their partnership led him, Josh, to being top try scorer last season & every one questioned McBanana's decision to not select them together, as they were the best wing/centre combination in the league, to play for England.

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
John Ferguson

Post by John Ferguson »

medlocke wrote:He is fast becoming a fan favourite, Dean Bell was not wrong
You not giving Kevin Iro any credit then??
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I am not giving any credit to those who called the lad rotten when he first came to the club, but now are ending up with a little bit of egg on their face.

And he will not be the first or the last to get the treatment!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:Prepares to be unpopular.
His 3 tries were outstanding and very impressive, even against a side that has a lot of problems
but...........

He consistently failed to pass to Josh and battered on into blind alleys. I can't see Josh putting up with that next season when Goulding is elsewhere. No problem when you're winning but what about in a tight match?
Basically, he is not a natural RL player or a team man. Watch his third try and it doesn't matter what the score is. As soon as he crosses the line he puts the ball down and celebrates. Every other one of our 17 men would have got as near to the posts to help the kicker. It's professionalism.

I applaud his performance and he was rightly MOM but I'd want someone else when the going is tough.
Did he not set Josh up with a try?

To pick up on the third try and the fact he didn't go under the posts is laughable!! He has had to wait months, years in fact for a run in the team and he scores his first hat-trick for the best RL team in the World, no wonder he couldn't wait to get it down. Every other one of our players would have got closer to the posts? I would have been more angry for Smith missing the kick not Gelling getting closer.

By the way it wasn't a tight game so who knows what he would have done if it was.

I know you have praised him as well but clearly you are a Goulding fan and rightly so because he never let us down, but for whatever reason he is moving on!! It's Gelling's time now, give the lad a break, your post in my humble opinion is not fair and way off the mark.
Nothing to do with Goulding. Actually, Gelling didn't set Josh up with the try - Josh made it pretty much all himself after a decent pass (note where Josh finally touched down as well). It was Gelling's only pass during the first half and Josh's line-speed was wasted waiting for a pass that never came.

As for the 3rd try touchdown - Wigan pride themselves on being the ultimate professionals and even if Frano was kicking - always made the effort to make the conversion as simple as possible. You never know when those 2 points might come back to haunt you.
I simply worry that Gelling doesn't seem to be learning in the way that say, Burgess has done. Note the dodgy off-loads in both halves.

He was deservedly MOM but I still don't see him as the complete answer.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I said it very early into Gellings career with us that this lad was going to be an excellent player for us. And could not believe some of the comments coming from the so called experts on this forum of how he was a waste of space, shite, you name it he was called it. Suddenly the penny as dropped for some and they suddenly forget that they lead the line of attack on him. He never got the game time to become the player that he's fast becoming an (excellent player).Well done Anthony Gelling. :D
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

John Ferguson wrote:
medlocke wrote:He is fast becoming a fan favourite, Dean Bell was not wrong
You not giving Kevin Iro any credit then??
Forgot about Kevin Iro thanks for reminding me
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think sense check is needed on Gellings performance.

On the one hand he played very well taking his 3 tries, the solo of which for me was the highlight, very well

however we shouldnt forget that he produced 2 ridiculous offloads coughing up possession in our half and a better team would have punished us on both we were just lucky that salford had a very bad night.

Gelling does a lot of things well but he is prone to absolute brain farts which in big games could ending up costing up especially when coupled with matty smiths goal kicking. The reason i bring that up is that we are far from certain to convert tries scored out wide so basically if we get in a try for try battle with a team like leeds we are sailing close to the wind. Smiths kicking is a massive improvement from the start of the year but its still a work in progress and we cannot afford to ship points easy.

So for me Wane has 2 options with gelling;

1) he tries to work with him on his brain farts - however i think its a natural thing that he will struggle to train out of him

2) he limits Gellings involvement in our own 20

When we get away with it like last night its easy to paper over it but that part of his game needs to go away because he could be an awesome player but if he gives away tries you cant trust him in big games

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

KOOCH wrote:I said it very early into Gellings career with us that this lad was going to be an excellent player for us. And could not believe some of the comments coming from the so called experts on this forum of how he was a waste of space, shite, you name it he was called it. Suddenly the penny as dropped for some and they suddenly forget that they lead the line of attack on him. He never got the game time to become the player that he's fast becoming an (excellent player).Well done Anthony Gelling. :D
Too many so called experts these days, especially on this website where the signing of Wigan players are concerned.

Don't know why we bother to have Scouts!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Funny how nobody ever brings up Gouldings Brainfarts that he does every game, Goulding fanboys really need to deal with the fact he is gone, why not bring up Bowens Brainfarts in another thread, after all he made just as many