No more signings for next season?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

No more signings for next season?

Post by southportcdm »

With all of the players recently 'rumoured' to be interesting the club now certain to stay with their present club or having signed elsewhere, how do you all feel about the possibility that we don't make any more signings next season? This assumes that we have sufficient cover at half back to cover for the loss of Blake Green and we're happy with our present group of props plus Tautai (who played well again this weekend).
menpond

Re: No more signings for next season?

Post by menpond »

We are favoutites for this years GFINAL., so lets see how we go and hope for the best. A bad loss ought to mean some changes,but speculation is futile. Even if we win,I would like to see players leaving who do not look like they are going to make it, and the odd signing from a player of huge promise currently not getting a chance,or playing semi pro. Competition is important,even within a top squad. Another Gells would be useful. !!!Our 12 month aim is 15% improvement to get to OZ teams top level.
mp
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

I would be amazed if we didnt make at least 1 more signing for next season.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I'll be amazed if we do!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I suppose it depends really on the signing, id rather us make no signings at all than ones we dont need.

IMO we are weakest in the centres and the whole team would benefit a world class centre on staff to develop some of the other players. However i cant see that happening so again i would rather us not strengthen in that position at all than sign someone who wont bring either experience or talent. Also by experience i dont mean someone old i mean someone who has played on the big stages in the big games.

I think we have a strong team, a little weak in the 3/4's but everywhere else i think we are quite strong in depth.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

IMO our centers will be fine Gelling, Thornley & Sarginson will all end up being quality. Dan has the most potential and i really think he'll end up a legend here.
For me it's our props that need sorting out, we should go all out to buy George & Tom Burgess. With those two we would destroy sides, we need big strong props who don't look like kids compared to Peacock
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Kaii wrote:IMO our centers will be fine Gelling, Thornley & Sarginson will all end up being quality. Dan has the most potential and i really think he'll end up a legend here.
For me it's our props that need sorting out, we should go all out to buy George & Tom Burgess. With those two we would destroy sides, we need big strong props who don't look like kids compared to Peacock
All three would benefit from a class centre here for 1-2 years IMO, imagine them learning from Tate or someone of that level. I know it wont happen but imagine how much a Star could bring them on
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote: All three would benefit from a class centre here for 1-2 years IMO, imagine them learning from Tate or someone of that level. I know it wont happen but imagine how much a Star could bring them on
I can see what you mean but Sarg's natural talent just needs a bit of guidance and we already have the people to help him with that. Iain is a good solid center who'll end up being a international regular. Now to Gelling, tbh i can see him going back to the NRL with his size, strength and flashes of brilliance he's likely to be poached soon.
Given a choice i'd have Sarg & Iain, Dan with Josh and Iain with Budgie.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Whatever happened to the Larne Patrick rumour?

I know he is out of contract at the end of this season (or was) and Wigan had apparently tried to sign him at the start of the season. Are the club still interested in him?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
menpond

Post by menpond »

Not sure Wane knows what a prop is. Always fiddling about,never the same 4 to see how they go. Flower is not a prop. Try Dudson, Clubb, Taylor ,Crosby, and give it to them straight. You are the men, get on with it. If it fails,move on.I dislike some of the drivel you sometimes hear ,such as moving up to prop. You do not move up to prop. You are born to it,and at 21 you can prop or you cant. Still feel there is not enough direction within the Wigan set up.
mp