Time for changes? Player wise

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Time for changes? Player wise

Post by cpwigan »

Several players in the U19s and out on DC seem desparate for an opportunity. Yet, the same faces are repeatedly forgiven by Wane, even rushed back to the 1st team from injury.

Are some players getting a fair opportunity?

Are some players being treated too favourably?

WHOLESALE CHANGES would be suicidal (normally) but whatever happened to selection bsed on merit?
butt monkey

Re: Time for changes? Player wise

Post by butt monkey »

Normally I would fully agree with you regards rushing players back.

It is a very tough decision though, with three league games left (prior to last night), little opportunity for returning players to play for the u19's and the lack of real competitive/high pressure rugby required to see these players make genuine comebacks in the championship, then how can (could) Wane bring them back?

The question that should be asked is should Wane bring them back or should he have decided they are "no longer required" for this season? It is not an easy choice and lets face it, the REAL competition starts in a couple of weeks time now. I see these last few games as nothing more than a precursor and chances for players to start to regain match fitness, irrespective of how well covering players have performed in their absence

And the sad fact is I can really see us losing our last two games in the process
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is indeed tricky but you then consider whether or not some changes are bewildering. Powell / Williams have played 9 regularly so we know Mac will not last the 80, why are they not back in there. Doran has been playing half/stand off in the 19s.

Burke never seems to get many opportunities. Sutton did very well but since rumours of Sydney City being interested he is nowhere to be seen.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

cpwigan wrote:Sutton did very well but since rumours of Sydney City being interested he is nowhere to be seen.
Maybe they cant keep tabs on him if he isn't playing, out of site out of mind and all that....
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

cpwigan wrote:Several players in the U19s and out on DC seem desparate for an opportunity. Yet, the same faces are repeatedly forgiven by Wane, even rushed back to the 1st team from injury.

Are some players getting a fair opportunity?

Are some players being treated too favourably?

WHOLESALE CHANGES would be suicidal (normally) but whatever happened to selection bsed on merit?

I think there is some merit in your post CP. I think that Budgie,Powell,Gelling and George W should be given more game time on every possible occasion especially has these players have never let anyone down when selected. When players come back after long lay off through injury or suspension for example and walk into the team it must be soul desroying for these players to have to play second fiddle to them when they have played exemplary when selected. I remember Radlinski being injured and Ashton replaced him. He was an eye opener but lost his place when Rads was fit again to play.I think he should have been allowed to continue playing until his form started to slip.It's a conundrum I know. Who'd be a coach?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

To what extent is this the down-side of us having a big squad? Is it possible to maintain a squad of, say, 25 plus half a dozen fringe players, keep everybody match fit AND win matches?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dobby wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Sutton did very well but since rumours of Sydney City being interested he is nowhere to be seen.
Maybe they cant keep tabs on him if he isn't playing, out of site out of mind and all that....
Is that not self harming ourselves
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Is Goulding injured or has he took a hit cos he's off?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Is Goulding injured or has he took a hit cos he's off?
Anybodys guess

Mr Gelling has dropped off a bit since hitting the heights IMO
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Is Goulding injured or has he took a hit cos he's off?
He had a knee op in July and currently has a knee brace on, he has probably played his last Wigan game and Wane said as much in Wigan today last week.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6800099

Its just a pity he didn't have the operation at the start of the season instead of playing all season with it and it getting worse and worse. Maybe though Wane only became confident of Sarginson's and Gelling's ability to play centre once he said he was leaving...