Re: On reflection a very strange game.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Just on tonight's performance I think Sarginson deserves a massive pat on the back, he really stepped up! As for your post God, you make some fascinating observations, a real good read.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
magsrads

Post by magsrads »

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: Dan :D
Ed Osmond

Post by Ed Osmond »

Overall, a big step up by Wigan tonight. Much more energy, very good in defence.
Attack still very stilted but a good base to work from again? Leeds scrapped well but Wigan were too good. Kept calm after conceding ridiculous try and finished the job.
Sarginson played a good game too. Farrell sowing signs of return to form, Bateman involved too. Lockers solid.
Good signs for the playoffs
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Good summary of game. I'd add that Matty Smith had an outstanding kicking game.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
TrueBlueWarrior

morley pie eater wrote:Good summary of game. I'd add that Matty Smith had an outstanding kicking game.
I thought the kicking by everyone was pretty bang on, even Faz (the lightweight, no metre maker, amateurish) with his left peg attacking dab through was class!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I thought it was odd that from being virtually flawless in the first half, we looked rattled after what was a flukey Leeds try.

To be fair to SW, he got his defence absolutely right - Charnley played a purely defensive game - Sarginson had his best game for us - thought Hughes did well - Green and Smih showed that they always turn up for big games - Burgess is class - Farrell was immense. Flower - that try took some scoring. SOL just chimed in when necessary.
How can they turn in a performance like that after Widnes?

Weak links? Harsh to say but Clubb struggled and Pettybourne is just an average player.

Still not sure that this is a GF winning team though. If they play like they did in the first half - yes - for 25 minutes of the second half - not really.

An impressive win but a bit confusing.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The game was won when Wane brought Flower, Crosby and Micky Mac back on about 10 mins or so into the 2nd half (or whenever it was).

Leeds were gaining field position off the back of mistakes and penalties (which they never had in the 1st half) and Clubb, Eddie and Powell were getting dominated.

Wigan gradually reasserted themselves and finished the stronger.

As to Sarginson, you watched a different game to me. Hughes looked a better centre and if Burgess got more than one pass all night off Sarginson I'd be surprised.

The most pleasing performance for me was in fact Burgess who looked back to the kind of form he had earlier in the season. I thought Bowen played well also and was in several occasions a shirt tail away from another fantastic break. No issues with Flower being MoM though.

I also thought Leeds played the ref very well and got away with slowing us down several times without getting pinged for it when a quick PTB could have cause them problems.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:I thought it was odd that from being virtually flawless in the first half, we looked rattled after what was a flukey Leeds try.
Weak links? Harsh to say but Clubb struggled and Pettybourne is just an average player.
I think you answered your own question. When they went off and Flower, Crosby came back on we improved (along with the return of MM).
Still not sure that this is a GF winning team though. If they play like they did in the first half - yes - for 25 minutes of the second half - not really.
Me either. I think we have Taylor to replace either of the two you mention but I was concerned about our bench tonight and it didn't work very well when it came on.

TrueBlueWarrior

When Williams is fit I would definitely have him on my bench.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:When Williams is fit I would definitely have him on my bench.
Just said the same thing more or less on rlfans. Is he out long term?

I hope not as we need the kind of spark he gives.

I was concerned when the team was read out we had nothing but players on the bench (Bateman aside) who would do well just to hold Leeds never mind cause them problems.

It doesn't help when Wane takes both starting props off at the same time either.