Re: Mike Gregory

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
I appreciate all that is mentioned about contract law, but there must be a line somewhere where Mike Gregory himself must think, will I ever be fit enough to do this job again. I really feel for him, but I also see it from a business point of view, he is unable to do the job and we need somebody there to fill the vacancy. He's been really unlucky, but I fail to see what Wigan have done wrong by him. He couldn't do the job so they have drafted in replacements rather than wait.
And if he can't do this job, what job can he do? He might not be able to work elsewhere so his personal financial security must be a concern. You can't blame the bloke for making sure he gets all he's entitled to, I would do the same if I were unlucky enough to be in the same, sad situation. Who knows what may happen to him financially once the Wigan money runs out.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

robjoenz posted:
Out of interest... are any of those that think Mike Gregory is getting a raw deal those that think we ought to cut our losses with Carney because it is mad to have him in the wage structure when he's injured so often?

I know with Carney the salary cap is involved but I can see why Wigan as a business will see this as a waste of resources.
Yes i agree. Carney is a fan favourite and seems excempt from critisisums on here. Hes missed so much in the last 2 seasons we need a change.

Were over a third of the way now and he has not played a full match. I feel the same must apply to Sculthorpe.

Both are great players but are usless to us on the treatment table.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Fraggle posted:
robjoenz posted:
I appreciate all that is mentioned about contract law, but there must be a line somewhere where Mike Gregory himself must think, will I ever be fit enough to do this job again. I really feel for him, but I also see it from a business point of view, he is unable to do the job and we need somebody there to fill the vacancy. He's been really unlucky, but I fail to see what Wigan have done wrong by him. He couldn't do the job so they have drafted in replacements rather than wait.
And if he can't do this job, what job can he do? He might not be able to work elsewhere so his personal financial security must be a concern. You can't blame the bloke for making sure he gets all he's entitled to, I would do the same if I were unlucky enough to be in the same, sad situation. Who knows what may happen to him financially once the Wigan money runs out.
Amazing isnt it we accept Faz leaving for a better financial package but when MG makes sure his security is sorted for the future we moan about legality of it.

Difference is MG would be here now but for his illnes.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Interesting one about Carney.

When Hull discarded both wingers in Carney and Viakona we definetly came off worse than Bradford. TV was beating all before him and scoring for fun while Carney looked distincly average.

However Carney plugged away for a season or two and BANG, he's 2 metres quicker, suddenly defences are struggling to cope with his pace and positioning and he's a dead cert GB player.

Irreplaceable in the Wigan squad.

He's never been fit since - except for GB.

Whether to off load him is a tough decision, but if he does go we must have a decent player to replace him immediatly.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Doveoverdave posted:
Interesting one about Carney.

When Hull discarded both wingers in Carney and Viakona we definetly came off worse than Bradford. TV was beating all before him and scoring for fun while Carney looked distincly average.

However Carney plugged away for a season or two and BANG, he's 2 metres quicker, suddenly defences are struggling to cope with his pace and positioning and he's a dead cert GB player.

Irreplaceable in the Wigan squad.

He's never been fit since - except for GB.

Whether to off load him is a tough decision, but if he does go we must have a decent player to replace him immediatly.
TV has been the most consistant winger since the SL started. He was class. Vainakolo got all the attention but TV was better defencivly and just as good going forward.
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

thegimble posted:
Fraggle posted:
robjoenz posted:
Amazing isnt it we accept Faz leaving for a better financial package but when MG makes sure his security is sorted for the future we moan about legality of it.

:( You speak for yourself I certainly did'nt accept traitor Farrell leaving for a questionably better package(easier life, fewer games more like).

I for one think Mike has been treated deplorably by the club, but having said that, if he is to go after his current contract, why not pay him up, and allow everyone who remains to carry on, at the moment IMO he casts a big shadow over the club.

:angry:
Joanne2809

Post by Joanne2809 »

Dont think we need a coach will ever be happy really !!!!!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

we_need_a_coach posted:
I for one think Mike has been treated deplorably by the club
In what way? Keeping him on the payroll? Organising fund-raising events to help pay for his treatment? Holding his job open for him? I don't understand what you mean.

It would be more deplorable to "pay him off", as you seem to suggest, as he would then have no job if/when he recovers.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:

Very true. I still don't accept the reasons for the club releasing Faz, but as you say it is really the same situation. If the club do release Gregory let's all hope they've paid him all that he's due to receive, he's got a difficult enough future as it is without him having to worry about money for a while.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

we_need_a_coach posted:
thegimble posted:
Fraggle posted: And if he can't do this job, what job can he do? He might not be able to work elsewhere so his personal financial security must be a concern. You can't blame the bloke for making sure he gets all he's entitled to, I would do the same if I were unlucky enough to be in the same, sad situation. Who knows what may happen to him financially once the Wigan money runs out.

:( You speak for yourself I certainly did'nt accept traitor Farrell leaving for a questionably better package(easier life, fewer games more like).

I for one think Mike has been treated deplorably by the club, but having said that, if he is to go after his current contract, why not pay him up, and allow everyone who remains to carry on, at the moment IMO he casts a big shadow over the club.

:angry:
#

The bit RE: us accepting Faz leaving was being sarcastic. Do you read what suites you in a post to justify your point of view all the time.