We must support them like never before!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

We must support them like never before!

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Having been away at the week end, I only caught the game on TV, and have only just been through the reaction on here. For what it's worth, I remain positive for the future, just not the immediate future. Our schools, clubs and junior sections produce enough talent to see us back near the top some time in the next few years...

I have watched the boys since 1980, but the team we have now reminds me in some respects of the ones we used to watch just after having come up from Division 2 - some glimpses of talent, spirit but little mature class. Certainly no chance of winning anything.

What made that time more enjoyable was perhaps that we did not have huge expectations...

To enjoy this year, I think we need to adjust our expectations from previous years. We cannot be relied upon to win any game, save for possibly Leigh and Widnes.

In the light of this, never have our lads needed our support - whether we think they or the management deserve it or not.

Now is the time to stand up and be counted! Starting with this Friday, we have a couple of winnable games even by this team. Let's give our boys all our support.

People hark back to the Hanley era, and rightly so. But it was very easy to follow our lads in those times. We may be small like Beswick, we may be young like Harrison, but now is the time for all Wiganers to put their support on the line.

We may be a long way behind them in the league, but let us continue to put the Skints supporters to shame in numbers and passion!!!

Not Ancient, but certainly Loyal!
GeoffN

Re: We must support them like ...

Post by GeoffN »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
Having been away at the week end, I only caught the game on TV, and have only just been through the reaction on here. For what it's worth, I remain positive for the future, just not the immediate future. Our schools, clubs and junior sections produce enough talent to see us back near the top some time in the next few years...

I have watched the boys since 1980, but the team we have now reminds me in some respects of the ones we used to watch just after having come up from Division 2 - some glimpses of talent, spirit but little mature class. Certainly no chance of winning anything.

What made that time more enjoyable was perhaps that we did not have huge expectations...

To enjoy this year, I think we need to adjust our expectations from previous years. We cannot be relied upon to win any game, save for possibly Leigh and Widnes.

In the light of this, never have our lads needed our support - whether we think they or the management deserve it or not.

Now is the time to stand up and be counted! Starting with this Friday, we have a couple of winnable games even by this team. Let's give our boys all our support.

People hark back to the Hanley era, and rightly so. But it was very easy to follow our lads in those times. We may be small like Beswick, we may be young like Harrison, but now is the time for all Wiganers to put their support on the line.

We may be a long way behind them in the league, but let us continue to put the Skints supporters to shame in numbers and passion!!!

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
mrs_carney

Re: We must support them l...

Post by mrs_carney »

Well said
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Joanne2809

Post by Joanne2809 »

EXCELLENT ATTITUDE well said !! :D :D :D :D
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Joanne2809 posted:
Suppose we'd all better shut up, close down this site and be happy with the fact that 3 don't go down this year.

What the hell does the title of this thread mean?? Our gates are way up on last yesr - we ARE supporting them like never before!!

It isn't support you ask for but blind, unquestioning loyalty. When other have posted about Farrell's loyalty the "positive platoon" pipe up that "he's just an employee with a better opportuniy", etc. Therefore, if you want to equate things with running a business, the consumers are entitled to value for money and to complain when they don't get it!!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Well said :exc: :exc:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Joanne2809 posted:
Suppose we'd all better shut up, close down this site and be happy with the fact that 3 don't go down this year.

What the hell does the title of this thread mean?? Our gates are way up on last yesr - we ARE supporting them like never before!!

It isn't support you ask for but blind, unquestioning loyalty. When other have posted about Farrell's loyalty the "positive platoon" pipe up that "he's just an employee with a better opportuniy", etc. Therefore, if you want to equate things with running a business, the consumers are entitled to value for money and to complain when they don't get it!!
Depends what you mean by value for money - If you mean to imply that people pay to go just to see their club win, then no fans apart from Leeds (and to a lesser extent, Saints) are getting value for money.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

JJ - I usually agree with most of what you say. My point is that the team will need our support more than ever this year. Of course we are right to feel let down by the club, but amidst all the negativity we must all continue to show that we are Wigan till we die!

I didn't mean to imply we should not criticise or accept second best. Quite the opposite. By sticking to it even while knowing things are far from right, we will be doing the right thing by the club. To paraphrase Randy Newman "they may be rubbish, but they're our rubbish".
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Exiled Wiganer, I don't want to say they are "rubbish" simply for the sake of it. Also, when I have a go about Orr, for example, it's as much aimed at the person responsible for his signing (and the role he is playing) as the player himself. Using him as an example, I know he doesn't want to play cr*p and I'm sure he is putting every effort in (probably too much if he has been playing with painkilling injections, etc). You certainly can't blame him for joining us from Cas when the opportunity arose (Farrell? Loyalty? Oh, leave it!!)

My gripes now are:-
Why do playmakers like him and finishers like Moran play a totally different game at Wigan? Probably because they are told to by the coach.

The whole Farrell fiasco.

Even though we have been badly hit with injuries the squad we are able to turn out should not be conceding 100 points in 3 games.

Betts constantly plays people out of position.

I have serious doubts about the ability of our fitness/conditioning staff.

I can, however, see positives:-

Godwin
DV (sory Rob!)
Hock & Lockers next yr
Hansen

I do support the team, In fact I watch out for all sporting activites in Wigan to some extent. They can rely on my support, but it is the TEAM we are talking about here. This will always be transient in nature and will contain individuals who don't satisfy me. Also, seeing us in 7th position at this stage of the season doesn't exactly float my boat!!

I'll be there on Friday, though for the must win game against the Chemics :)
thegimble

Re: We must support them like ...

Post by thegimble »

Exiled Wiganer posted:

Are you listeining WNAC