Facts!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: Facts!

Post by robjoenz »

Doveoverdave posted:
Lots of the "gloom mongers living in yesteryear"
(that's in Yorkshire I think) have watched some of the finest sport on the planet, and it is easy to become addicted.

Unless your GeoffN who apparantly would be content with 1 pot in a generation.
Do you not understand Geoffs flipancy or am I not noticing your sarcasm :conf:

I too am an addict of the finest sport on the plant, however, the glory years were happening before my eyes were awakened to this sport!

If you compare Wigan to other top SL teams, there is not an awful lot of difference. We get a similar gate, we have a similar core of skillful, experienced players, we have some very talented youth, we have slumps and we have injury problems. I do think there is plenty of room for improvement and some squad building is still required but all this talk for radical changes is just an over reaction to a few bad performances, which has not at all been helped by injuries and allowing so many players to leave last season.

These are minor problems that can be fixed with hard work and a little bit of luck!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

If we stay in our currant 7th position these minor problems will become serious financial ones that will take YEARS to get over.

And there appears an awful LOT of difference between Leeds and Wigan at the moment.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

doveoverdave are you wnac in disguise?
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Doveoverdave posted:
If we stay in our currant 7th position these minor problems will become serious financial ones that will take YEARS to get over.

And there appears an awful LOT of difference between Leeds and Wigan at the moment.
:eh: When I make comments along these lines I get the "little faith" routine!! Where's the consistency Doveoverdave?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Doveoverdave posted:

Stop being a drama queen, we'll get ourselves back in business with a run of good form and the board will go from being a site of depression to an enthusiastic one again. I notice no-one has looked a few games ahead and are just dwelling on bad results and calling for radical change!

Looking back at the last five SL games, we've had:
  • Bradford
    Leeds
    Hudds (away)
    Hull (away)
    Saints
We've been seriously understrength and were beaten but Leeds and Bradford, we also lost away to our bogie team and we beat Saints and Hull.

Coming up in the next five SL games are:
  • Widnes
    Warrington
    Hudds (home)
    Salford
    London (home)
We should see a better forward show now we have four props and we'll have Carney back within a couple of weeks, which means we have our first choice 3/4 line and Radders will be back at fullback. We need Moran to regain fitness and form, then Vaealiki, Brown and Orr to get back to their best. This is not inconcievable and we wouldn't even need to be on our best form to beat any of the above teams.

From our next five SL games we should get 8 points atleast which will put us a lot healthier in the table.

In reply to your second remark... yes, we're having our slump early on and we've got lots of injuries.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Doveoverdave posted:
That may well be what we are just starting to get over now. Don't forget, that we made our first profit in years last season. Those of you who were shareholders when we sold Central Park will know just how close the club was to extinction back then - at the end of a period of domination and glory!

The club is now on a much sounder financial footing and there are signs that the professionalism of the playing staff is finally being replicated throughout the club - with improvements in marketing and financial management.

It seems to me that the mid to long term of the club is sorted out pretty well now - if we can put together a better squad in the next two seasons, based on the better kids already here, its not out of the question to see Wigan dominating the competition for a few years, as Leeds are at the moment. That will be fun whilst it lasts (all the more so for the hard-times between trophies!)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

Mike posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
That may well be what we are just starting to get over now. Don't forget, that we made our first profit in years last season. Those of you who were shareholders when we sold Central Park will know just how close the club was to extinction back then - at the end of a period of domination and glory!

The club is now on a much sounder financial footing and there are signs that the professionalism of the playing staff is finally being replicated throughout the club - with improvements in marketing and financial management.

It seems to me that the mid to long term of the club is sorted out pretty well now - if we can put together a better squad in the next two seasons, based on the better kids already here, its not out of the question to see Wigan dominating the competition for a few years, as Leeds are at the moment. That will be fun whilst it lasts (all the more so for the hard-times between trophies!)
:( Optimism, who said there was no optimism in Wigan, well we can all stop worrying, as it's "all sorted now", "better kids ?"

I for one feel much better, must be spring !

No. no, wait a minute, it's, it's bulls**it.

:angry:
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Doveoverdave posted:

:eh: When I make comments along these lines I get the "little faith" routine!! Where's the consistency Doveoverdave?
jj I,m talking about not making the 6.

You believe were not good enough for the division!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

Doveoverdave posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Doveoverdave posted:

Doveoverdave posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Doveoverdave posted:

At this moment in time I think we are definately good enough for the division but not good enough for the top 6. At this rate its really unbelivable but I cant see us finishing in the top 6..

My god I would be absolutely gutted as I guess you all would be if that happened but from what I saw in the last 4 games we are not good enough :(
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

True Pedro, but if you like to witness a good thrashing get to he game Friday 'cos we'll HAMMER Widnes.