James to Headline Super League Grand Final

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

James to Headline Super League Grand Final

Post by josie andrews »

Super League are delighted to announce that British rock band James will headline the pre-match and half-time entertainment at the 2014 First Utility Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford on Saturday October 11 (6.00pm).

With a prestigious career spanning over 30 years, Manchester band James are, without doubt, one of Britain's most influential bands. Their classic hits include ‘Sit Down', ‘She's A Star', ‘Laid' and ‘Destiny Calling' amongst their 20 top 40 UK singles.

They have sold over 12 million albums worldwide, performed sell-out shows all over the world visiting venues in Europe, America, and Asia and this year have been receiving rave reviews for their latest album ‘La Petite Mort'.

James will be playing a number of hits and new songs from current album ‘La Petite Mort' pre-match and at half-time at the Grand Final ahead of their 10 date UK tour that starts in Oxford on November 10.

Frontman Tim Booth said: "Performing in front of 70,000 people at Old Trafford for the Super League Grand Final should be a blast."

Blake Solly, Super League General Manager said: "With the announcement of a headline band as big as James the pinnacle of the First Utility Super League season guarantees to deliver an amazing experience for fans both on and off the field. The excitement around the Grand Final is building nicely with tickets sales significantly up on last year and with further entertainment announcements to follow the 2014 Grand Final promises to be a memorable experience not to be missed."

The band's 13th studio album ‘La Petite Mort' is an incredibly uplifting record that finds James at the top of their game. It is available to buy now from www.wearejames.com

One hundred exclusive seats located next to the stage in the stand where James will perform are available from just £30. These amazing seats can be booked by calling 0844 856 1113 and quoting block W210.

Tickets for the First Utility Super League Grand Final, played at Old Trafford on Saturday October 11 (6.00pm) are available from as little as £20. To purchase your tickets, please either visit www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk or call the Rugby League Ticket Hotline on 0844 856 1113.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 6EIq4mx.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Re: James to Headline Super League Grand Final

Post by cpwigan »

Takes me back 20+ years :wink:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Awesome, if it had been 1991 :wink:, not knocking James, i used t like them back then, i'd have thought they would have pulled out all the stops to get a much more modern act like Arctic Monkeys, The Pigeon Detectives, Ian Brown, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand etc, not that these are my kinds of bands i just think they are more high profile and relevent to todays younger generations, personally i would love to see Motorhead but that would never happen
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very much Meds. Back in the day James were amazingly big for a brief time IIRC after a period of struggle and obscurity. After their 15 mins of fame I believe Tim Booth left and James eventually ended. Booths looks very different now to then (bald from a straggly hair style). James + Booth reformed 12 months - 2 years ago.
British rock band James
Indie yes but rock band?
James are, without doubt, one of Britain's most influential bands.
Not sure they influenced many, even anybody?
"With the announcement of a headline band as big as James the pinnacle of the First Utility Super League season guarantees to deliver an amazing experience for fans both on and off the field.
Big in my day 20+ years ago, unknown to most people any younger

One of the most profitable things James ever created was the James emblem poster that adorned many a student bedroom alongside the likes of the Smiths/Morrisey.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

James were bigger and more influential that you seem to think CP, they were a major part of the "Madchester" scene in the late 80's / early 90's (they really struggled early on). Tim booth has had some acting accolades and did a great job of acting out the part of Jesus in the Manchester Passion. Not that I'm religious, but it was a great show and use of popular Manchester music.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It could be worse, they could have got Jesus Jones :eusa6:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sutty wrote:James were bigger and more influential that you seem to think CP, they were a major part of the "Madchester" scene in the late 80's / early 90's (they really struggled early on). Tim booth has had some acting accolades and did a great job of acting out the part of Jesus in the Manchester Passion. Not that I'm religious, but it was a great show and use of popular Manchester music.
I do not remember James influencing anybody Sutty personally and albeit they were from Manchester I never associated them with Madchester bar their origin.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

They totally passed me by, never heard of them, mind you for the most part I was serving in Germany or Canada between 1978 and 1987, edit just re-read Sutty's post that is no excuse I was back in the UK by late 80's early 90's still didn't register them.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

southernpie wrote:They totally passed me by, never heard of them, mind you for the most part I was serving in Germany or Canada between 1978 and 1987, edit just re-read Sutty's post that is no excuse I was back in the UK by late 80's early 90's still didn't register them.
Ditto, except for the bit about being out of the country! :lol:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQ5NzFrqPs

Probably the most recognisable song which basically was very popular with students and people of a similar age as everybody sat down on the dancefloor etc. This video was at their pomp. Sit down was released earlier and only at this time did it become big.

James merchandising was a simple flower/petal emblem but it was hugely successful and James t-shits/posters were ubiquitous amongst students.