Next weeks attendance

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Next weeks attendance

Post by Fraggle »

pedro posted:
counts for the salary cap 50% can be used to recruit. Something like that
I think I posted a few days ago some figures of how much income I think the club brings in through ticket sales during the season, based on our current average crowd figure and guesstimates of the numbers of adults and chilren. A hundred or so at one game isn't going to make the tiniest difference to the salary cap. We've effectively got the cap covered from ticket sales alone, irrespective of any other income that comes in.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

pedro posted:
counts for the salary cap 50% can be used to recruit. Something like that
The 50% figure only comes into effect if total income is lower than £3.6 million - doesn't apply to us. It's the £1.8m that counts.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Are the SL players contracts open to public scrutiny as in the NRL?

It would be interesting to know who's "on the money" at Wigan.

Presuming we are spending the full £1.8m some players must be getting BIG money as we are constantly told the team is full of youngsters and these are surely not getting big bucks.

Where's the money??
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Doveoverdave posted:
Are the SL players contracts open to public scrutiny as in the NRL?

It would be interesting to know who's "on the money" at Wigan.

Presuming we are spending the full £1.8m some players must be getting BIG money as we are constantly told the team is full of youngsters and these are surely not getting big bucks.

Where's the money??
Faz was/is on £167k/annum, that was well documented. I guess the other senior players are on heading off for £100k/annum, the likes of Rads, Carney, maybe Dallas. I don't think the wages are open to scrutiny outside the club and SL, it's not a publically-funded organisation (ie taxpayers money, even though we, the public, pay our £15/game or whatever), but I guess the salaries may be quite high. Remember that it's only a 10-15 year career at best, less than that for most players, and that money's often got to last them for a lot of years afterwards. Some of them are going to struggle to get decent jobs afterwards, although it is good to see the club pushing some of the younger ones towards getting degrees, and Carney is a trained lawyer or some such thing so there's a few who'll do ok, but the rest of got to make the most of what they can get whilst playing and try to live off that for a long time.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Rough reckoning:
Faz 167k
Rads 100k
Carney 100k
Dallas 100k

Total 467k

£1.8m - £467k = £1333000

Divide this by 16 (remaining no. of squad players) is

£83K EACH!!

Considering the 20/20 rule I say again where's the money??
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It costs more than the players salary to employ someone - don't you have to do NI etc.

Also, I reckon Dallas isn't on that much as he took a one year deal becasue the club were thinking of releasing him because of his injuries.

BTW Those of you that are getting on Carney's back now should remember how much BD struggled a couple of seasons back. Yet, he has been an ever present since then. Hopefully Brian will see the back of his injury troubles this time (and Danny Sculthorpe!)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

When Scully is fit he appears to need a set of lungs after 10 mins
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Doveoverdave posted:
Rough reckoning:
Faz 167k
Rads 100k
Carney 100k
Dallas 100k

Total 467k

£1.8m - £467k = £1333000

Divide this by 16 (remaining no. of squad players) is

£83K EACH!!

Considering the 20/20 rule I say again where's the money??
Yeah, but who else is likely to be on the top money? I reckon Vaealiki, SeuSeu and Moran will be on big pay, Newton's been there a long time as well and Orr won't be cheap. The squad is bigger than you say, recent recruits put us at 29 players (see official site, and ignore the fact that Faz is missing since we're still paying his wages), so that brings the average of the rest down to £42k (obviously 9 of the 29 will be on less than that because of the 20/20 rule). Given there are "senior" (in Wigan terms given our young squad) and even international players we've not mentioned like Lockers, Wild, Guisset, Sculthorpe, Hock, Aspinwall, Tickle and McDonald, who will all be on more than £20k (or are McDonald and Guisset on pay-per-play?) then the numbers start to add up. If we're guessing at £100k for the big payers, £50k for the 2nd group (Lockers et al) and £20k for the 9 outside the 20/20, then you're only just shy of £1.8m.

[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Mike posted:
Also, I reckon Dallas isn't on that much as he took a one year deal becasue the club were thinking of releasing him because of his injuries.
On the other hand, when we signed him he'd got Origin experience, Test experience?, and so probably wanted quite a nice pay packet. I think you're right that he took a cut in pay, but even so the numbers are not too far out if my guesswork is right.

[hr]
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Fair enough just thought I'd ask.

Not really good money pro league unless you are on the big salaries.

Better of down pit - if youget the drift.