Whats happening to us

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Re: Whats happening to us

Post by mrs_carney »

Fraggle posted:
Doug Stand posted:
Now I've picked a good few overseas there and I don't know how many spots are available.
I think it's down to 3 for next year. This year we've got Dallas, Vaealiki, Moran and SeeYou Jerry, not sure if any of them can get exemption due to having been on a plane that had once visited Scotland, or whatever the criterion is for being classed as 'home'. I suspect Dallas will soon have been here long enough to drop off the quota (5 years?).
Vaealiki and seuseu dont count because of samoan relations i think, its something to do witht he south sea islands anyway
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mrs_carney posted:

Vaealiki and seuseu dont count because of samoan relations i think, its something to do witht he south sea islands anyway
Correct. DV has a Samoan passport, JS, although a Kiwi by birth, has Samoan parents.
Brett comes off the quota at the end of this season, under the 5-year residency rule.
As Fraggle says, the quota is down to 3 next season though (except for London and Perpignan)
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN posted:
Brett comes off the quota at the end of this season, under the 5-year residency rule.
I thought they scrapped that last season with the exception of players that had already been in the country five years.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

robjoenz posted:
GeoffN posted:
I thought they scrapped that last season with the exception of players that had already been in the country five years.
i think they have
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
GeoffN posted:
D'oh!
:wink:
yeah, of course you're both right, I'd completely forgotten about that.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN posted:
robjoenz posted:
GeoffN posted:
D'oh!
1 - 1 :D
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
GeoffN posted:
D'oh!
Can't even blame the ref! Must be the coach's fault!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Canute.

How about Fletcher at prop/2nd row, (Purdham and Sykes from London if we can sell any of our deadwood) and another prop - Korkidas (Greek and so exempt)? I would have thought the Farrell money should stretch that far. Having watched the London lads masses of times, I think they would both have been better bets than Moran...

So, our pack could be Korki/Newton/Seu Seu/Hock/Fletcher/O'Loughlin with Tickle/Godwin/Scully... for backs - Rads/Dallas/DV/Sykes and 2 halves from Orr/Purdham/Brown/Coyle/Moran...
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN posted:
robjoenz posted:
GeoffN posted:
D'oh!
Can't even blame the ref! Must be the coach's fault!
Haha.

Speaking of referees, I've been to see three games of RL in the last 5 days. Bradford -v- Wigan, Whitehaven -v- Doncaster and Wath Brow Hornets -v- Leigh Miners Rangers. The best referee out of all of those games was the referee in the amateur game. He watched the offsides whilst keeping an eye on the play the ball, he called for forward passes, penalised for laying on, he communicated well with both teams, even with his touch judges.

I know the game is faster at a high level but why is it a referee in an amateur league can be so much better than referee in a pro or semi-pro league? Only thing I can think of is that he didn't have the arrogance.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
How about Fletcher at prop/2nd row, (Purdham and Sykes from London if we can sell any of our deadwood) and another prop - Korkidas (Greek and so exempt)? I would have thought the Farrell money should stretch that far. Having watched the London lads masses of times, I think they would both have been better bets than Moran...

So, our pack could be Korki/Newton/Seu Seu/Hock/Fletcher/O'Loughlin with Tickle/Godwin/Scully... for backs - Rads/Dallas/DV/Sykes and 2 halves from Orr/Purdham/Brown/Coyle/Moran...
Korkidas would be a good signing for us, powerful, big and yet skillful. Can't see Wakefield letting him go unless they take a turn for the worse and Widnes pick up form.

Purdham is now playing loose forward for London but he'd not come to us. His girlfriend has only just moved down to London from Haven to be with him. Can't see London selling Sykes either, he's on fire for them.

Don't think Fletcher would be great either, I'd say we should give him a trial if he wants one but I remember him as being a prop of the Union physique, unless I'm getting him confused with someone else.