Go easy on Ben - It's only a game!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The booze hound

Re: Go easy on Ben - It's only a game!!

Post by The booze hound »

cpwigan wrote:Dave if it was a fact that a man being sent loses a team a game then can you explain how teams a man down frequently play better (inspired) and often win the game.
Being a man down doesn't lose the game, but can contribute, but to say teams frequently play better and often win from this situation is a little bit whimsical.
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

Once again. Everyone has an opinion & mine is that there is no way on this earth that we should get rid of Ben Flower!
"Shame", "disgrace"?!?!?!
He has shamed himself NOT this club and he knows that! We have had plenty of tough cookies in this team who have had bust ups - if we got rid of everyone who flares up we'd have no players left! I know what Ben Flower did was unquestionably wrong but come on!! This guy made a handling error and then got his chin knocked off by an elbow off the ball - its not unreasonable to think a temper might flare - especially when the coach has been telling them all week that this is going to be a fight to the death. Reality check - this was not premeditated, we are not convicting a mass murderer and he is a bloody good prop (apart from a 1 off dumb indiscretion). Why on earth would we get rid unless the pressure of the Team and our own fans never letting him forget it mean he can't play like he used to???
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think it's in the club's best interests to sell someone who has lost us the Grand Final and won't be able to play for us again till Easter. And will then be a marked man.
I think the club must stand by him and support him as a person, monitoring his mood and offering him good advice.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I think it's in the club's best interests to sell someone who has lost us the Grand Final and won't be able to play for us again till Easter. And will then be a marked man.
I think the club must stand by him and support him as a person, monitoring his mood and offering him good advice.
So by that reckoning:-

England should never have picked Beckham again!!
United should have sold Cantona!!
Keane should never have played for United again after the infamous tackle!!
Rooney should never have played for England again!!
What about all the drug cheats? Should they be banished?

Sportsmen make huge mistakes all the time that cost their team or themselves trophies but come on give the lad a break. He deserves a 2nd chance with Wigan to play in another GF and this time put a MOM performance in to help win us the trophy!

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I think it's in the club's best interests to sell someone who has lost us the Grand Final and won't be able to play for us again till Easter. And will then be a marked man.
IF he is that marked then who will buy him. If he needs support and has issues who will buy him.

Also he is the best prop at the club so why sell him as he was never playing a full season. As no one in our squad does.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The booze hound wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Dave if it was a fact that a man being sent loses a team a game then can you explain how teams a man down frequently play better (inspired) and often win the game.
Being a man down doesn't lose the game, but can contribute, but to say teams frequently play better and often win from this situation is a little bit whimsical.
Not really. Adversity brings out the best in players whatever the sport. Ordinarily too whatever the sport when you lose a player, the referee starts turning a blind eye to whatever you do and treat you more favorably (unless you are Wigan)

I have been sent off several times in my lifetime and my team never lost the match. Several dismissals involved a match where several of my teammates were colleagues of many of the opposition team. The game lacked intensity until I would ignite it usually being dismissed. Minus me the captain, the team raised their effort and intensity. Some would say minus me was no great loss :wink:

GB minus Edwards beating Aus is the classic example

GB greatest victories have been in adversity, 58-62!! Likewise Wigan won matches carrying unfit/injured players even at Wembley in CC Finals.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

Sportsmen make huge mistakes all the time that cost their team or themselves trophies but come on give the lad a break. He deserves a 2nd chance with Wigan to play in another GF and this time put a MOM performance in to help win us the trophy!

I think he deserves a second chance, of course I do. I just don't see that it is in Wigan's best interests for him to have it with us. If we are giving Taylor away, we will need another good prop. Why pay Flower for his, say, 12 match ban? The league could be gone by the time he's playing. In which case he will have directly adversely affected 2 seasons. Seasons in which we could have won something.
As a person, I wish him all the best. I think Harris would take him at Salford like a shot and we could get a transfer fee.
As for being our best prop, he showed on Saturday that he could not handle the pressure, and that's one less Grand Final victory for the club.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

I think he deserves a second chance, of course I do. I just don't see that it is in Wigan's best interests for him to have it with us. If we are giving Taylor away, we will need another good prop. Why pay Flower for his, say, 12 match ban? The league could be gone by the time he's playing. In which case he will have directly adversely affected 2 seasons. Seasons in which we could have won something.
As a person, I wish him all the best. I think Harris would take him at Salford like a shot and we could get a transfer fee.
As for being our best prop, he showed on Saturday that he could not handle the pressure, and that's one less Grand Final victory for the club.
Tell me who do we replace him with.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would work out a way to get Taylor back into the fold. Who is a better player anyway. I also assume there are some big South Pacific forwards out there we could bring in.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I would work out a way to get Taylor back into the fold. Who is a better player anyway. I also assume there are some big South Pacific forwards out there we could bring in.
Not from the speculation he is gone.

So there is no one available of the same quality so we give him away for free and then get a half decent player in. That makes it worse.