Re: Hansen signs new two-year ...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jinkin jimmy

Re: Hansen signs new two-year ...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Why only 2 yrs? He has been a great success this season - I would have thought we would have tied him up longer than that. Also, will he be a £20K man now, unlike the 27yr old Liam Botham at Leeds? :roll:
Doveoverdave

Re: Hansen signs new two-y...

Post by Doveoverdave »

I agree he's been brill this year and we should tie this rising star down now.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
I would have thought we would have tied him up longer than that.
Farrell had a six year deal and look what happened !!

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
I would have thought we would have tied him up longer than that.
Farrell had a six year deal and look what happened !!

Dave
Farrell chose not to honour his contract and did so with the club's blessing!! But on a positive (what, me!!) note the 6 yr deal kept other RL clubs off him.

I'd hate to lose Hansen at 21 yrs old - the list is long enough already - Gilmour, Johnson, Briscoe, Robinson, Hodgson
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Farrel honoured his contract for 14 years, and asked for a realease. He didnt refuse to play and throw a hissy fit.

As for Hansen, hes a good prospect, hes not ready or good enough to play every week yet, but he has no choice, needs to bulk up and play with more aggresion, but he has the attitude and heart to succeed.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

ChrisA posted:
Farrel honoured his contract for 14 years, and asked for a realease. He didnt refuse to play and throw a hissy fit.

As for Hansen, hes a good prospect, hes not ready or good enough to play every week yet, but he has no choice, needs to bulk up and play with more aggresion, but he has the attitude and heart to succeed.
Farrell didn't have a 14 yr contract so what are you talking about?

"Asked for a release"?? If we decided we had had enough of him and asked him to leave early, what do you think he would have said?

A contract is legally binding both ways but forget the legalities. The fact is the security of his contract suited him fine at the time but he chose to weedle out of it when he thought the grass was greener on the other side.

I'm all for people taking decisions in their own best interests but for god's sake be a man and stand by what you signed!!!! :angry:
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

jinkin jimmy posted:
ChrisA posted:

Farrell didn't have a 14 yr contract so what are you talking about?

"Asked for a release"?? If we decided we had had enough of him and asked him to leave early, what do you think he would have said?

A contract is legally binding both ways but forget the legalities. The fact is the security of his contract suited him fine at the time but he chose to weedle out of it when he thought the grass was greener on the other side.

I'm all for people taking decisions in their own best interests but for god's sake be a man and stand by what you signed!!!!
:angry:
:( Well said JJ, I watched hin on B an A last night, what a load of wishey washey ar*e licking drivel, made me heart sick !

Let's not go overboard on Hansen, ok to sign him on 2 yr deal, but not worth 20K yet, with a fit squad, he would only get the odd match at the moment IMO, if we had a decent coach !!

If he does'nt improve dramatically next season we will have another bench hogging lemon on our hands tying down a cap.

:(
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:

I'd hate to lose Hansen at 21 yrs old - the list is long enough already - Gilmour, Johnson, Briscoe, Robinson, Hodgson
A two year deal for Hansen is a fair deal IMO. The club don't know how he will develop. If he comes on leaps and bounds then the club can offer him a new deal.

There is an anti-tampering rule that says clubs can't approach a player befire a certain date in the season and so Wigan will have the time to decide if they want to offer him a new deal.

If someone outbids the club for his services then that is just hard lines but is the way the contract system works.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ChrisA posted:
It was a six year contract for a million quid which he was happy to sign and which he has only honoured four years of.

It didn't take a genious to do a few "what if" scenarios to assess the impact of him leaving the club.

Here's one. Farrell to play second row, O'Loughlin at 13. O'Loughlin gets injured so Farrell reverts to 13. No problem, we cope with the injury.

Heres's another. Wigan let Farrell leave. O'Loughlin gets injured and we, err, don't have a loose forward with any experience and are reduced to playing a 13 stone rooky in that pivotal position. When that doesn't work we weaken the second row by moving Tickle there who isn't that good as a loose forward anyway.

I just can't believe Mo needlessly weakened the team as he did. Had he offered Farrell a release at the end of the season then that wold have been more than fair giving Wigan time to recruit and plan the squad properly for 2006.

I think Mo was believing his own propaganda at how good out young players are and forgot they can get injured when he decided to let Farrell leave. Worst decision he has made in all his time at the club IMO.

Dave
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

What I meant was, hes been here for 14 years and been totaly loyal, now he fancies somthing new before hes to old, I can understand that and respect his decision, but just because i understand it, that doesnt mean that im not gutted we are losing one of the best players in the world, because I am well and truely devastated that we have lost him, the thought of Wigan not running out again with farrel leading them is somthing that makes me pretty sad to be honest.

But im not going to get bitter over it and question his loyalty, because to me that is without question as proved by his commitment to this club opver the last 14 years.

If wanting a new challenge is a crime then he is guilty, hes asked for a release and he got it, just like Luke Davico did when he signed for us. if you comopare the two, the players and skill level are diferent but the end result is still the same, hes still leaving your club, whether its to a super league team or rugby union. Nobody moaned when we signed a player who was released early from his contract, nobody at Canberra questioned Davicos loyalty because he wanted to try somthing new while he still had the chance, so why are you lot questioning Farrels loyalty, just because he wants a new challenge.