Warriors "take over"

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Warriors "take ov...

Post by DaveO »

oldtimer posted:
wages were trebled when sky money came in,a close friend who played at wigan at the time,went into to see ------- ------- and told him he had been approached by another club ,when asked who replied that is for me to know and you to find out.he came out of the office three times better off.i know this happened at other times.if you dont beleive me,check back shareholders balance sheets[i am sure some one will let you have a look.
Stories of Edwards following Gregory into the board room asking for a pay rise are almost legendary but for a number of years now there has been a salary cap of one for or another. It used to be 50% of turnover and is now a flat rate of 1.8 million quid.

The Sky money wasn't deposited with the clubs in one fell swoop but is and was paid on a yearly basis.

So the salary cap has prevented the club blowing all its dosh on wages for the majority of the SL era and Sky payments are an annual event so I don't see how Wigan can have blown all the Sky money as you put it.

You might also remember the SL v ARL war which forced the club to offer silly money to the likes of Robinson and Connolly to prevent them from leaving for down-under. It was Wigan's "misfortune" to be the home of many great players at the time making them the target for such approaches. Few other clubs if any faced the prospect of half their team being poached. Wigan had little alternative but to match the wages on offer so wage inlfation wasn't just down to idiots offering silly money for the sake of it but down to them competing for the players on the open market.

While we are on the subject of finance have you forgotten about the Whitbread stand? Here the club was trying to be progressive and invest money in the ground and not just players wages. It backfired as costs escalated but you would think the thing never existed the way some go on and that the debt at the club was all down to paying silly wages. It wasn't.

If the books are open what do that say about costs associated with building the whitbread stand?

Dave
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

couldnt agree more with daveo(i'm new on here) ....anybody willing to bet on wigan still being at jjb stadium next season?? i will...i'll put my house on wigan still being there ( mind you i've just put it up for sale and in the current climate with interest rates falling house prices, rising inflation, dampening consumer confidence..) still put my house on it!!! :D
maurice lindsay is a pixie
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

interest rates falling ? not where i live but yes i to think we,ll still be at the jjb next year
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

waterside glens posted:
interest rates falling ? not where i live but yes i to think we,ll still be at the jjb next year
:conf: I certainly wish I had your optimism, everything that has been written / reported in the last couple of months is suddenly coming to fruition !!
As I have said before, i can't see the point in DW selling, if it's not to get us out of the stadium, hope I'm not saying told you so in the near future, but IMO i think I will !!

:angry:
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

:blush: meant rising actaually!!!!
i admit i'm not perfect....its just the weight of expectation n being so young and inexperienced :wink:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

oldtimer posted:
wages were trebled when sky money came in,
Here is an artical about Sky and SL for you:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyleague ... 73,00.html

Dave
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

:doz: now now wnac lrets just get back on the couch and delve into your past...... :D

again i say lets wait and see...patience!!
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

:D well said Daveo.......you know your onions :D
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:conf: Now I seem to be seeing double Dreamer, Dreamer !!

:wink: :wink:
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

dont believe anything untill it becomes fact....therefore lets wait and see

cheer up...we could support leigh :lol: