2015 SL Fixtures

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

2015 SL Fixtures

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors will get their 2015 First Utility Super League campaign underway when they travel to face Widnes Vikings on Thursday 5th February.

The game will be the first of the new season as the most exciting season in the history of Super League starts with six Super League fixtures on the opening weekend.

The sport's flagship competition features 12 clubs from next season, when a league structure allowing for the return of promotion and relegation will ensure that every minute of every match in every competition matters.

Wigan's first home game will be against Huddersfield Giants on Friday 13th February before the World Club Series game with Brisbane Broncos the following weekend.

The Warriors host St Helens on Good Friday before travelling to Salford on Easter Monday. The return fixture with St Helens at Langtree Park takes place on Friday 12th June.

Round 16 will see the 2015 Magic Weekend visit Newcastle on the weekend of 30th/31st May, with fixtures being announced on Monday 17th November.

After all 23 rounds of the regular season, Super League and the 12-team Kingstone Press Championship will split into three separate leagues, the Super 8s called Super League, the Qualifiers and Championship Shield.

The top eight of Super League will compete for a place in the Grand Final while the bottom four will join the top four from the Championship to make up the Qualifiers. The Super 8s will begin on the weekend 8th/9th August.

Season Tickets for the new exciting era of rugby league are already on sale starting from just £199 for adults, for more information [click here].

Wigan Warriors 2015 First Utility Super League fixtures

Round Date KO Time (Local Time)

1 05 February 2015 Widnes Vikings (away) 8.00pm Sky

2 13 February 2015 Huddersfield Giants (home) 8.00pm Sky

21/22 February 2015 World Club Series

3 01 March 2015 Hull KR (away) 3.00pm

4 08 March 2015 Castleford Tigers (away) 3.30pm

5 13 March 2015 Hull FC (home) 8.00pm

6 20 March 2015 Leeds Rhinos (away) 8.00pm Sky

7 27 March 2015 Wakefield Wildcats (home) 8.00pm

8 03 April 2015 St Helens (home) TBC Sky

9 06 April 2015 Salford Red Devils (away) TBC

10 12 April 2015 Catalans Dragons (home) 3.00pm

11 16 April 2015 Warrington Wolves (home) 8.00pm Sky

12 23 April 2015 Wakefield Wildcats (away) 8.00pm Sky

13 01 May 2015 Hull KR (home) 8.00pm

14 08 May 2015 Castleford Tigers (home) 8.00pm

16/17 May 2015 Challenge Cup Round Six

15 23 May 2015 Catalans Dragons (away) 6.00pm Sky

16 30/31 May 2015 Magic Weekend (Newcastle)

17 07 June 2015 Huddersfield Giants (away) 3.00pm

18 12 June 2015 St Helens (away) 8.00pm Sky

19 19 June 2015 Salford Red Devils (home) 8.00pm

27/28 June 2015 Challenge Cup Quarter-Finals

20 02 July 2015 Warrington Wolves (away) 8.00pm Sky

21 09 July 2015 Leeds Rhinos (home) 8.00pm Sky

22 17 July 2015 Widnes Vikings (home) 8.00pm

23 23 July 2015 Hull FC (away) 8.00pm Sky

1/2 August 2015 Challenge Cup Semi-Finals

8/9 August 2015 Super 8s Begin

29 August 2015 Challenge Cup Final

3/4 October 2015 Super League Semi-Finals

10 October 2015 First Utility Super League Grand Final

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Re: 2015 SL Fixtures

Post by Kittwazzer »

"The sport's flagship competition features 12 clubs from next season, when a league structure allowing for the return of promotion and relegation will ensure that every minute of every match in every competition matters."

Is someone at RFL suggesting that there may have been minutes in previous seasons which 'didn't matter'?
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I make it six games on a Thursday night. Including wakey and hull fc away.

These games will kill rugby league, it's bad enough having to travel to Widnes on a Thursday evening, but hull.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Glad about the WCC format though as it is a stand alone weekend for us.
Last year we had Widnes listed and had to play them in a catch up game. It was that IMO which led to the defeat at Wakey the following Sunday which really cost us League points wise.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

First Try Tickle wrote:I make it six games on a Thursday night. Including wakey and hull fc away.

These games will kill rugby league, it's bad enough having to travel to Widnes on a Thursday evening, but hull.

all games should be on sunday and fff to sky
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:I make it six games on a Thursday night. Including wakey and hull fc away.

Think you are correct there.

It's the four at home that bother me. That is four poor attendances at the DW relative to what they might have been.

Ironically for me they are better in that the M56/M6 are quieter on a Thursday than a Friday but that said I prefer the chance of som atmosphere.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

So presently our home games will fall on the following days:

Huddersfield FRIDAY
Hull FC FRIDAY
Wakefield FRIDAY
St Helens FRIDAY
Catalan SUNDAY
Warrington THURSDAY
Hull KR FRIDAY
Castleford FRIDAY
Salford FRIDAY
Leeds THURSDAY
Widnes FRIDAY

Plus I've read that Wigan are reportedly in dispute with SKY as they want us to switch the derby match to Thursday as they want to screen the Hull derby on Good Friday.

If that rumoured shift comes off it would mean our 3 biggest home games of the season being shunted to a Thursday night.

Sadly for me this is the straw that breaks the camels back and it's highly likely I won't renew my season ticket.

I love supporting Wigan but Thursday night games aren't for me, going to the game for me is part of my weekend and SKY have now taken that away. I don't want to think about getting up for work the day after a game, selfish I know but it's me who has to fork out £200+ for my season ticket.

Looks like it'll be a Wigan TV subscription from next season to keep up to date with the team.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

OAMJSS wrote:

all games should be on sunday and fff to sky

Correction, all games should be on a Sunday except for those on Sky which should only be on Friday and Saturday Nights.

Without the Sky contract, irrespective of the amount of money, our game would be knackered!
OJ

Post by OJ »

Not happy about those Thursday nights - we both play team sports ourselves on Thursdays which we obviously enjoy so it doesn't half mess things up when we have to decide which option to choose. Rugby normally wins but we're not exactly happy about it and neither are our team mates when we say we'll be missing again.

Does anyone know when the squad for next year will be announced?
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

markill

Post by markill »

Don't have the numbers to hand at work, but I know that across Super League as a whole the average crowd was higher on the Thursday night games last year than it was for all regular season games. It was something like 8,500 compared to overall regular season average of 8,100. That included two non-televised Thursday games at Easter (which is sort of like a Friday for a lot of people) and two London home games (one of which was the lowest ever attended Super League game I think against Catalan at Easter). They've not killed it yet.

Definitely Thursday games can be a problem for some people, as can Friday games and Sunday games if we're honest. But I think in general you hear the dissenting voices speak louder though when you actually look at the numbers they aren't cuasing that much of a problem.

If grounds were full on Fridays and Sundays then only hlaf full on Thursdays then maybe the extra TV exposure of not going up against live Premier League football (if Sky didn't show a teatime game BT would!) amongst the other things that fight for your time and family viewing at a weekend then yes we could say Thursday games are killing the sport. At the moment I don't think thats a reasonable conclusion to make.

Also, at least we can watch the Thursday games. Hull FC play a lot of Friday home games, just like we do, and many would find it just as hard on a Friday as a Thursday to go there, but on a Thursday its guaranteed to be on TV, unlike on a Friday.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod