Close!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Re: Close!

Post by ChrisA »

DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:

Therefore, looking logically at the situation, if we have the best individual players (and that is beyond doubt) then the reason we are struggling must lie with the coaching staff.
I think it does to a degree and that is because Newton who is supposed to be our captain in the absence of rads is subbed by the coaching staff, i.e Betts. He has said we looked leaderless on the pitch but if he subs the captain, what does he expect?
After tonight's display can anyone who isn't still (unbelievably!!!!)wearing the goggles tell me where we can win away from home???
Leigh.
I've said it before - I have only been watching Wigan consistently for 21yrs but we have never been this bad :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
I agree. I have actively watched them since 1981 and this isn't looking good.

Dave
Yea I have been watchin them since around the 84-85 season, to date this is the worst sqaud we have had in that whole time.

What has happened this season is the culmination of years of bad recruitment, we signed the likes of Furner, Renouf, Lam, Craig Smith, but when these have left or retired they havnt been replaced, and the young talent coming through barring the obvious few havnt been good enough to warrant not recruiting some star names.
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

ok.. bottom line.. we won.. remember one thing, they done us over at the jjb last season ( or season before??).. when we went on that great run of hme wins.. till bradford done us earlier in the season, yes widnes were the last team to beat us... if you remember that day.. we were awful first half, with a side that got to the GF eliminator..

we were the better side tonight... no excuses from me bout injuries.. we all know bout that, the ref, never mind.... & every team will raise the bar 100% when they play wigan.. regardless of who is in our line-up!

we know were not playing well but to slag of our team AFTER we win is a bit to heavy handed for me.. don`t forget we lost 3 on the trot, pressure is on to win..has anyone never played sport at any level & been no that kinda run.. you take the win any way u can!
NSW

Post by NSW »

Regarding the "dodgy" widnes try, the lad next to me in the west stand had a scanner tuned to Kirkpatrick's earpiece and his linesman actually told him it was no try, in fact his words were, alledgedly, you've got it wrong! That's teamwork for you.
Thought Hansen was outstanding last night, everyone else seemed a bit muted,but a win is a win.
p.s. Anybody heard the mutterings i heard about a consortium taking over from the beloved Mr. Whelan?

100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

There's been plenty of mutterings in the media recently concerning a possible "takeover" but nothing solid.

So at present I think it's just speculation possibly due to the fact that there's a real chance that the Latics could be gain promotion to the Premiership next season.

However, most important last night was that we won. Doesn't matter if this was achieved by 1 or 41 points ... a win is a win. It was vital we won last night considering the bad run we've been on lately, at least now we've put a halt on the losing run.

What can't be overlooked is the continuation of our poor 2nd half performances. In each of the 3 matches we lost recently we have been in contention at half time then let the game slip away from us.

Last night we were leading 18-6 at half time, but the pattern of recent matches appeared again and we end up losing the 2nd half 16-5.

It was perfectly illustrated last night how much we miss Radders when he's not there, any team playing us soon will look at a video of that game and know exactly where to target us.

There was absolutely no confidence under the bomb whatsoever, and I'm not just blaming Melling. His team mates should have seen that he was having a rough time and helped him out. There was no confidence shown by anyone when Craigie used the bomb.

Also, I know around me there was mutterings about Mr Lindsey but I'd sooner we ride out a rough season and sign the correct players for the team, rather than ask Maurice to rush out and buy any Tom, Dick or Harry. That is not the way forward, that is just panic buying.

We all know it's gonna be tough this season but let's stick behind the guys, you never know what'll happen next ... who'd have thought Wakefield would have beaten Leeds at Headingley ???
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

ChrisA posted:
DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:

Therefore, looking logically at the situation, if we have the best individual players (and that is beyond doubt) then the reason we are struggling must lie with the coaching staff.

I think it does to a degree and that is because Newton who is supposed to be our captain in the absence of rads is subbed by the coaching staff, i.e Betts. He has said we looked leaderless on the pitch but if he subs the captain, what does he expect?
After tonight's display can anyone who isn't still (unbelievably!!!!)wearing the goggles tell me where we can win away from home???
Leigh.
I've said it before - I have only been watching Wigan consistently for 21yrs but we have never been this bad :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
I agree. I have actively watched them since 1981 and this isn't looking good.

Dave
Yea I have been watchin them since around the 84-85 season, to date this is the worst sqaud we have had in that whole time.

What has happened this season is the culmination of years of bad recruitment, we signed the likes of Furner, Renouf, Lam, Craig Smith, but when these have left or retired they havnt been replaced, and the young talent coming through barring the obvious few havnt been good enough to warrant not recruiting some star names.

:angry: Hear, hear ChrisA, the worst bunch ever, and I personally don't agree in giving Hansen a 2yr deal, OK he wes better than average tonight, but he's not a proven player yet, and should, IMO, have been made to wait for the promised land, of a new contract !!!

:angry:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

we_need_a_coach posted:
:angry: Hear, hear ChrisA, the worst bunch ever, and I personally don't agree in giving Hansen a 2yr deal, OK he wes better than average tonight, but he's not a proven player yet, and should, IMO, have been made to wait for the promised land, of a new contract !!!

Wait for what? Someone else to offer him a more lucrative offer?
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:( If they don't want to play for Wigan, let em go I say !!! (I have mt doubts about Hansen anyway) !!

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Robjoenz, I know we normally agree on that useless lump Vaelaeki but have to say that you have not got your feet on the street her with your comment about him pulling his socks up. Maureen who sits next to me says he might be crap but he does have nice legs! Would you take hers and Mrs Lams only bit of enjoyment out of his being on the field.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

It might not be a case of wanting to play for Wigan, it comes down to having a contract tied up, it's his living, players can't be too fussy just incase Maurice suddenly decided he didn't want them.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

of bad recruitment, we signed the likes of Furner, Renouf, Lam, Craig Smith, but when these have left or retired they havnt been replaced, and thWhat has happened this season is the culmination of years e young talent coming through barring the obvious few havnt been good enough to warrant not recruiting some star names.[/quote]"Quote"

Renouf, Lam, Furner, Smith and more all joined the retirement club. Where's the ambition?

Sonny Bill would be a good signing instead we'll probably go for let me see?????/ Stacey Jones.

Once a fine player who could probably have the odd star game at Wigan (same as Lam did) But way way past his best as was Lam when he arived here.

But hey a couple of years at Wigan - some sycophantic star struck staff who make his record out to be beter than it is(re Lam again)and he could be on the coaching staf._Retirement club.