Would you have him...?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Would you have him...?

Post by ian.birchall »

WNAC, it does matter, he has spent years slagging off Wigan, the same reason I do not want Ellery back at Wigan, he was utterly disrespectful at the last match at central park.
I am of the school that says forgive your enemies but only after you have hung them
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
heydude

Post by heydude »

sorry but i would have him as coach here like a shot, i don't like the guy as a person but as a coach he gets the best out of his players.
don't eat yellow snow
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Couldn't agree more with WNAC & ianbirchall. Denis Betts is once again bemoaning his teams lack of experience. Sure we have several young players but players like Aspinwall and Wild have been in the first team for long enough to lose that tag. In fact, Wild was in the Tri-Nations squad. Brown made his debut two years ago. Hansen won the Man of the Match.
The only player who could really claim lack of experience out there last night was Melling and Betts proved whart a master coach he is by leaving him at full back after he had completely cocked up three bombs and after that decided not to try at all. Any half decent coach would have moved him. He could have swappe dpositions with Brown or even Aspinwall. Melling almost cost us the game with his inability to catch a high ball.
I find it incredible reading some of the postings that there are still speccies out there who seem to think everything in the garden is lovely.
We swwm to be making a big thing out of Wigan born players. I agree with ianbirchall, let's have a Wigan born coach, Shaun Edwards. You say he is probably to outspoken for the management. Well the good news is that a change of management may be sooner rather than later. The quicker Little Mo goes to Australia the better. My info is that it is only a matter of time and that negotiations are already under way.
One subscriber said he didn't want Edwards because he didn't believe in the old boy network and that Edwards had no experince of Superleague coaching. If Betts isn't a product of the network, who is? As for experience, I pointed out in a previous posting that Betts' only previous experience was as Assistant to Mike Gregory.
Paul Cullen's eaten my dictionary!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Do me a favour!

Edwards would be back at Wigan in a shot given the oppurtnity IMO.

And he'd toe (w?) the line just to get back to the ONLY club he's had success with.

Too strong a character my bum! :angry:
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

GeoffN posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
[
Millward is the type of coach I'd go for, one with a track record of achievement, ability to make tough decisions (Gleeson).
Millward is on record as saying Gleeson was sold against his (millward's) wishes.
Accept that Geoff but the tough decisions are made by some body on the managemet team. And do you really expect a coach to admit to releasing the best players in the club?

Any coach would keep all his best players and just add to the squad. Remember us having internationals in "A" team or on the bench.

He must have had some input into the release of is star players just as he must have had in his replacement . Business is business.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Doveoverdave posted:
GeoffN posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
[
Millward is the type of coach I'd go for, one with a track record of achievement, ability to make tough decisions (Gleeson).
Millward is on record as saying Gleeson was sold against his (millward's) wishes.
Accept that Geoff but the tough decisions are made by some body on the managemet team. And do you really expect a coach to admit to releasing the best players in the club?

Any coach would keep all his best players and just add to the squad. Remember us having internationals in "A" team or on the bench.

He must have had some input into the release of is star players just as he must have had in his replacement . Business is business.
Not sure how much input any coach has these days. As you say, business is business, and coaches, by and large, are not businessmen...The Gleeson sale was a purely financial one.
The "balance of power" probably varies from club to club...in our case, I feel, too much towards the board, and too little for the coach (any coach).
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

You know hpw to stir things up. But its a good one fair play.

Simple answer is yes he has a fantastic record in SL with the Saints we can not buty our heads in the sand and think hes not as good as most say he is.

Hes done it over a good few years now and he would be the top choice as the best coach in the SL era.

If Betts went there is only 3 people i think we shouls approach.

Chris Anderson
Ellery Hanley
Shaun Edwards

These are potentially better for the club than Millward. Anderson is the best out there. Ellery starteds the Saints domination period. Edwards is potentially better than them both.

Yes id have him but there are better out there, but we need to give Betts a fair run as he did a great job last season as coach and did a good job as the assistant. As they say 1 swallow does not make a summer.

1 MEDIOCRE SEASON DOES NOT MAKE HIM A BAD COACH.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

ian.birchall posted:
Have Millward, not in a million years. Bring back Shaun Edwards, you would have a team where everybody gave 100% throughout the game to Wigan or else they would not be in the next games team.
ian.birchall posted:
Have Millward, not in a million years. Bring back Shaun Edwards, you would have a team where everybody gave 100% throughout the game to Wigan or else they would not be in the next games team.
edwarda coach gregory assistant what a dream maybe hanley defence coach wat do u say would they come under salary cap lol
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Dream on .

They'd be spending all their time remenicing about the good times and telling the juniors how good they all were-backslapping old boys club a real retrograde step IMO.

Admit Hanleys done nothing wrong and has a decent RL coaching record. However we can't turn the clock back, he's been missing from the game for years (as has Edwards) and would be found wanting now in our progresive sport.

If you don't agree why not bring back Murphy :conf: :conf:
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Doveoverdave posted:
Do me a favour!

Edwards would be back at Wigan in a shot given the oppurtnity IMO.

And he'd toe (w?) the line just to get back to the ONLY club he's had success with.

Too strong a character my bum! :angry:
Where did I say Edwards was to strong a character? I was supporting ian.birchalls view that the present management would not welcome him as they would consider him as to strong a character. For management (this is my opinion) read Lindsay.[/img]
Paul Cullen's eaten my dictionary!