New signings for next season???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jinkin jimmy

Re: New signings for next ...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Compared to you, yes :D
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

billyboy posted:
Re discussion on takeover. As they say, no smoke without fire! I reckon it's a bonfire.

Make no mistake, this Club will have new owners before to long, all that remains to be sorted is the amount of money involved. Has anyone in Wigan ever known DW to turn a profit down? Just remember, he bought the Club by paying off its' debts (£4.5 m) and then got £8.5 m for the sale of the ground. Yes, I know we then got JJB, a hell of a lot of which was paid for via grants and tax breaks. When it comes to the old mazuma, Dave is the shrewdest cookie in town. Loyal to the Warriors he may be, but he is a hell of alot more loyal to King Sterling.

I have been posting for a while now that a takeover was in the offing. Don't be to surprised if someone with previos Club connections is in volved!
:( You've got this one wrong, Robinson and Rathbone had already sold Central Park for £6M DW stepped in when we had no ground and we where looking at places like the Reebock !!
But you are right about him being shrewd, if he's talking about selling, then IMO we'll be sold pretty quickly, the only alternative would be if the Latics don't get promoted, but don't hold your breath !!!!
:angry:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

we_need_a_coach posted:
:( You've got this one wrong, Robinson and Rathbone had already sold Central Park for £6M DW stepped in when we had no ground and we where looking at places like the Reebock !!
It's not often I agree with you, but you're more or less right!
DW originally offered to buy Central Park for £4m, and spend £11m developing it. Shareholders voted for this scheme, but despite this Robinson & Rathbone went ahead with the Tesco sale (for £12m, not 6, BTW) in 1997, and were then effectively forced to resign.
As you say, DW then stepped in, in '98, when the club was £6m in debt.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

we_need_a_coach posted:
[quote

:angry:
Both you & GeoffN are wrong. Robinson agreed the deal with Tesco but was out before it was completed. The ground was sold for £8.5m. The other £4m to which GeoffN refers was the Tesco sponsorship.
Paul Cullen's eaten my dictionary!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

£6 mill in debt - sold the ground for £11 mill or £8.5 mill. Where's the cash gone? :conf:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

billyboy posted:
Both you & GeoffN are wrong. Robinson agreed the deal with Tesco but was out before it was completed. The ground was sold for £8.5m. The other £4m to which GeoffN refers was the Tesco sponsorship.
My information was taken from the "Central Park Memories" book; if it's not accurate I'd be very surprised.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Like your Facts Geoff, but any idea what happened to the balance of this money.

Crikey Hull & Huddersfield have rebuilt their clubs on the strength of £1m each gained by mergers.

We have had £5m and the backing of DW and even with the constraints of the salary cap etc. the quality of the playing staff has continued to spiral downwards over recent years.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Doveoverdave posted:
Like your Facts Geoff, but any idea what happened to the balance of this money.

Crikey Hull & Huddersfield have rebuilt their clubs on the strength of £1m each gained by mergers.

We have had £5m and the backing of DW and even with the constraints of the salary cap etc. the quality of the playing staff has continued to spiral downwards over recent years.
Great point but "crikey"?? You read too much Enid Blyton :lol: :lol:
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

"Lashings of ginger beer" - just about my level :)
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I remember when it was lashings of Stones bitter. Not good but better than Okells :D