Superleague Set Up

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Superleague Set Up

Post by robjoenz »

jinkin jimmy posted:
It's been my opinion for ages that we should be working towards a 15 team full time competition with no promotion or relegation, totally separated from the other part time clubs.

If the fear of relegation was removed clubs like Leigh and Widnes could build long term in the same way that Huddersfield have managed to do.

The part time clubs could run their own competition, like the country clubs in Aus.
Whilst what you say about scrapping relegation does make sense it will be at the expense of the National Leagues. It would be good if currently struggling clubs could build for the future, however, it would remove all ambition from NL1.

A 15 team league like NRL would be great, the fixtures would be evenly balanced and the more teams the more interesting and exciting a league in my opinion. However, there is always the issue of sharing SKYs money. You could argue with three extra teams they ought to increase their payment as they have more games to chose from, why not allow them a Sunday evening slot also, or is Spanish football that popular? However, I can't see SKY increasing the money proportional to the number of teams.

I don't think there is any real answer to this problem, it's like the salary cap, you remove it and the league would be split between those with a large fanbase and those with few fans. However, with the salary cap it restricts the growth of the bigger clubs and evenly balances talent throughout teams. For example, would De Vere have gone for Huddersfield if bigger clubs could offer unlimited salaries. Then the smaller clubs would go bust trying to compete (the whole reason salary caps were introduced).
wiganrldeanh

Re: Superleague Set Up

Post by wiganrldeanh »

robjoenz posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
It's been my opinion for ages that we should be working towards a 15 team full time competition with no promotion or relegation, totally separated from the other part time clubs.

If the fear of relegation was removed clubs like Leigh and Widnes could build long term in the same way that Huddersfield have managed to do.

The part time clubs could run their own competition, like the country clubs in Aus.
Whilst what you say about scrapping relegation does make sense it will be at the expense of the National Leagues. It would be good if currently struggling clubs could build for the future, however, it would remove all ambition from NL1.

A 15 team league like NRL would be great, the fixtures would be evenly balanced and the more teams the more interesting and exciting a league in my opinion. However, there is always the issue of sharing SKYs money. You could argue with three extra teams they ought to increase their payment as they have more games to chose from, why not allow them a Sunday evening slot also, or is Spanish football that popular? However, I can't see SKY increasing the money proportional to the number of teams.

I don't think there is any real answer to this problem, it's like the salary cap, you remove it and the league would be split between those with a large fanbase and those with few fans. However, with the salary cap it restricts the growth of the bigger clubs and evenly balances talent throughout teams. For example, would De Vere have gone for Huddersfield if bigger clubs could offer unlimited salaries. Then the smaller clubs would go bust trying to compete (the whole reason salary caps were introduced).

i agree. although superleague is great the management of it absolutley crap and needs sorting out :exc: