Bowen’s feeling the heat for spot

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bowen’s feeling the heat for spot

Post by josie andrews »

MATTY Bowen insists he is not taking his place in the Wigan team for granted.

The emergence of Ryan Hampshire has given Shaun Wane another strong option for the full-back role.

Bowen rates the 20-year-old highly and has tipped him as a Super League star of the future.

And with the new season looming, the former Australia international admits he can feel Hampshire snapping at his heels.

“He keeps me on my toes,” said Bowen, 32.

“We’ve got the competition there now and it’s good, it’s healthy competition and that’s a good thing for the club.”

Yorkshireman Hampshire started four games at full-back last season, figuring as many times from the bench.

“He’s already played well, when he got his chance last year,” said Bowen.

“He will be one of the kids who does well, not just at Wigan but in Super League in general.

“I love watching him play and I love training alongside him.”

Bowen arrived a year ago as Sam Tomkins’ replacement.

After a slow start, he showed fans just why he was a firm crowd-pleaser in the NRL. The jet-heeled Queenslander signed a one-year extension for 2015, with part of his role to help nurture Hampshire and fellow academy-graduate Lewis Tierney.

“It’s not just me teaching them, they teach me,” he smiled.

“I’m learning off them too. You can always learn and get better, you never stop.”

Hampshire started in the No.1 role against Leigh last Sunday, and moved to stand-off when Bowen was introduced in the second-half.

He scored a try, which he converted himself, in the 18-14 defeat.

Wane has another full-back option from within his senior squad – centre Dan Sarginson scored four tries in as many appearances in the No.1 role last season.

Meanwhile, the Warriors coach was today planning to run the rule over several injured players before deciding his squad for Sunday’s friendly at St Helens.

Recruit Taulima Tautai suffered a rib injury at Leigh.

Tickets for Wigan’s opening Super League game at Widnes, on February 5, went on sale yesterday priced £20 adults, £13 concessions and £10 for Under-17s – across the board, £3 cheaper than if bought on matchday.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-7060197
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The booze hound

Re: Bowen’s feeling the heat for spot

Post by The booze hound »

I'm glad Bowen is 'feeling the heat'. Im not doubting his pedigree or talent but I thought he was poor in every big game last season, from the WCC to The playoff semifinal and grand final. Maybe it was down to the pressure of filling STs boots or the oxymoron of 'trying too hard' but he must produce the goods in the big games, not just against mid table teams at home.
menpond

Post by menpond »

ref alcoholic hound, MB is too old to play professional RL. Mystery is why he got a second year.?Suspect its a face fitting issue with the club trio. Increasingly the record seems to show a culture of favouritism.Not good.
mp
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

V Leigh I thought Tierney looked far sharper, slimmer, speedier than he was in 2014.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

In terms of sarge

Up until the england games I would of said fullback would be potentially his best role but in the england games he showed potential to been a simply awesome centre

He needs to continue to play for his winger which was something that was missing from his game

His footwork is as good as ive seen
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure