Josh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Josh

Post by Suzieb »

I dont pretend to be an expert at rugby but i know enough to comment can anyone enlighten me as to why Josh Charnley (winger) spends most of his match way inside of his line an leaves himself wide open on his wing noticed this towards the end of last season he is my hero but there seems to be somrthin not right at the minute
DaveO

Re: Josh

Post by DaveO »

Suzieb wrote:I dont pretend to be an expert at rugby but i know enough to comment can anyone enlighten me as to why Josh Charnley (winger) spends most of his match way inside of his line an leaves himself wide open on his wing noticed this towards the end of last season he is my hero but there seems to be somrthin not right at the minute
Because if he didn't he'd never see the ball all night? The problem is on his inside not with him.
phild1

Post by phild1 »

Suzieb wrote:I dont pretend to be an expert at rugby but i know enough to comment can anyone enlighten me as to why Josh Charnley (winger) spends most of his match way inside of his line an leaves himself wide open on his wing noticed this towards the end of last season he is my hero but there seems to be somrthin not right at the minute
==phild=a top class centre is what josh is short of. The centre would keep him in his correct position and know where he is when there's a try on. I suggest you look up some of the great wing centre partnership past and present.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Fair point DaveO
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Who would you suggest at being his centre
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Suzieb wrote:Who would you suggest at being his centre
I think we are a bit stuck on that score. I don't think Thornley is any more of a wingers centre than Gelling.

Does Gildart play on that side of the pitch?

I am pretty certain though that Josh is being underutilized and we'd be scoring a lot more tries if he had some decent service.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

phild1 wrote:
==phild=a top class centre is what josh is short of. The centre would keep him in his correct position and know where he is when there's a try on. I suggest you look up some of the great wing centre partnership past and present.
He's missing Goulding and Sam T.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Suzie, defensively wingers tend to defend inside of their opponent. The idea being that the winger and the rest of his team can drift to cover any overlap. IIRC, St George left a large area on the wing which they then tried to cover v Wire. The most famous extreme was Ross Strudwick who at Halifax compressed the defensive line to the extent it left 1/2 the width of the pitch to try to attack.

Offensively, winger are expected to do the early hard yard returns after a kick down field is caught.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
phild1 wrote:
He's missing Goulding .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Suzieb wrote:Who would you suggest at being his centre
I'd say Goulding.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐