Betts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Betts

Post by DaveO »

MrsLam posted:
From
http://www.superleague.co.uk/news/1099
Wigan coach Denis Betts revealed he was “never worriedâ€� after watching the Warriors sneak through to the last eight of the Powergen Challenge Cup with a last-gasp 16-10 win over Union Treiziste Catalane at the JJB Stadium.
Oh well Im glad he was never worried :angry: I dont think winning 16-10 was part of the plan Dennis. I was shaking like a leaf in the last few minutes. And we weren't lucky? Oh somehow I think we were, very lucky.
I think he is telling porkies. Apparently there was no players player award as he said no one deserved it and backed each other up and they were all hauled off to the gym for a talking to.

I hope this is true because if he really beleives what is in that quote there isn't much hope.

Dave

MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I really do hope you're right DaveO.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

MrsLam posted:
I dont think winning 16-10 was part of the plan Dennis.
no, the plan was to win 11-10...fortunately Moran had a plan 'B' when the drop goal attempt was broken up.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

GeoffN posted:
no, the plan was to win 11-10...fortunately Moran had a plan 'B' when the drop goal attempt was broken up.
Ah, that's a nice thought. It means that we have actually achieved more than planned! A positive at last people :D

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrsLam posted:
I really do hope you're right DaveO.
Just spotted this from someone on the rlfans site:

"For the first time that I can recall since they started doing a player's player of the match in the South Stand Bar after the game, there wasn't one tonight. For those who weren't in there, Craig Beck from Rock FM appeared and said that there wouldn't be a presentation tonight as Denis said that not one of the players deserved it, and that they were in the gym in the East Stand where they were probably "being punished" for that excuse for a performance. It was without doubt the best thing to have happened, as if anyone had appeared and tried to put a brave face on it, I can't imagine how they would have been received. Absolutely disgraceful."

Dave
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I dread to think waht would have happened if we had lost. How many would have stayed to clap because had we lost, the effort would not have been even clappable. At least we did come back for whatever reason. I sincerely hope Wigan wake up and realise that kind of effort is totally unacceptable.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

MrsLam posted:
I dread to think waht would have happened if we had lost. How many would have stayed to clap because had we lost, the effort would not have been even clappable. At least we did come back for whatever reason. I sincerely hope Wigan wake up and realise that kind of effort is totally unacceptable.
A lot of people in the East Stand were leaving before the end of the game, it shows who the fickle ones are, those who weren't at work or had to visit relatives that is. I also thought it was terrible to boo your own team off the pitch, I can't understand how anyone with an ounce of intellect would think this will help confidence.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

robjoenz posted:
MrsLam posted:
A lot of people in the East Stand were leaving before the end of the game, it shows who the fickle ones are, those who weren't at work or had to visit relatives that is. I also thought it was terrible to boo your own team off the pitch, I can't understand how anyone with an ounce of intellect would think this will help confidence.
How should the fans make their opinions known?
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I never boo the team off but as I've said I could understand it tonight. The players needed to know that the fans weren't happy with this kind of performance. We had paid both in time and money to see that match and were not willing to clap off a team that hadn't even tried in that first half. It hurt me to hear the boos and to see the team walk off with their heads down though.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I have made 2 posts about this before, we have to many young inexperienced players to have an inexperienced coasch aswel. WIth the players we have, their age, and experience, we need a strong coach whos been there and done it at the highest level, someone who knows what to do when things are desperate like they are now, Betts isnt that man, no way in hell, not yet.

I am very reluctant to call for his head as the guy is a legend at the club, and is Wigan through and through, but being loyal and defending him isnt the right thing to do.

It's not his fault at whats happened regarding injuries, poor recruitment and Farrel leaving, the thing is he doenst have the experience to get the best out of whats left to work with, we need someone who has and we need them now.