Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Wane

Post by Suzieb »

i wonder if Mr Wane reads these comments because he sure not taking note of the people who pay his wages THE FANS
sc74

Re: Wane

Post by sc74 »

He doesn't come across as the kind of person who listens to anyone. Sure he even said something to that effect on the Down Under dvd.
Smart people listen to smarter people.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

what realy scares me is in Wanes after match interview he states he was PLEASED with the effort. My question is wich part.The thuggery? :(
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

His after match comments are ridiculous.

He's got his head in the sand.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

He is far too focused on the "combative" element of the game for my liking, dont get me wrong this isnt a game for the weak and in the past Wigan sides particularly under noble i felt were bullied and not aggressive enough, but again and i hate to keep refering back to it, Madge got it spot on, we were physical were but we always kept it the right side of the line. Our defence hurt sides more under Madge than under Wane
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Madge played RL in the right part of the pitch whereas Wane wants RL played in the wrong parts of the pitch, mistakes result, the opposition enjoy field position with great possession and the Wigan players become fatigued and make even more mistakes.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:Madge played RL in the right part of the pitch whereas Wane wants RL played in the wrong parts of the pitch, mistakes result, the opposition enjoy field position with great possession and the Wigan players become fatigued and make even more mistakes.
You can see it CPW, I can see it, many others can see it, some choose not to! It is not rocket science it is rugby league - a simple game if played correctly! If we adopted an Aussie type game plan then very few teams would prosper against us due to the personnel at our disposal.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

sc74 wrote:He doesn't come across as the kind of person who listens to anyone. Sure he even said something to that effect on the Down Under dvd.

A coach who listens to the fans ends up sitting with them.
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Aaron C. Rescue wrote:
sc74 wrote:He doesn't come across as the kind of person who listens to anyone. Sure he even said something to that effect on the Down Under dvd.

A coach who listens to the fans ends up sitting with them.
I am pretty sure sc74 wasn't suggesting he did listen to the fans.

It seems pretty clear to me though (and it's been something mentioned about his character when he was playing as well) that Wane is plain stubborn and a person who thinks he knows best all the time.

It's about being open to improving yourself by learning off others. Madge learned off Bellamy whereas Wane decided he knew better than Madge!

I think one way this manifests itself in him coming up with a game plan and expecting his players to fit into it rather than adopting his game plan to fit the personnel. It's "plan A or nothing".

I also think if you as a player don't fit in then regardless of the quality you will be frozen out.

Putting square pegs in round holes is the result of that with players playing out of position because Wane wants them to. It's only natural they want to be selected and they aren't going to be if they tell him they are not a full back or centre for example but it doesn't work well. I think the fact we have the likes of Farrell trying to be an enforcer and it spoiling his game is also part of doing what Wane says regardless of it making any sense.

I also thinks he believes his own propaganda in that he decides his young players are better or more ready than they are.

I think when he has put a team of kids out in the past he has genuinely believed he picked a side good enough to win matches we lost but we did lose and yet he carries on as if it's the players fault rather than his selections (and tactics).
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: It seems pretty clear to me though (and it's been something mentioned about his character when he was playing as well) that Wane is plain stubborn and a person who thinks he knows best all the time.

It's about being open to improving yourself by learning off others. Madge learned off Bellamy whereas Wane decided he knew better than Madge!

The bit in bold i think hits the nail squarley on the head.

Even when he was over here Madge was consistently reaching out to coaches in different sports etc to improve what he was doing

The longer Wanes reign goes on at wigan the more i question was his success down to him or the hang over in culture that Madge left, and is that what we are seeing wear off recently
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure