Cold Light of Day !!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Cold Light of Day !!

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
Rads is hurt and Newton seems incapable of lasting the distance lately. Betts needs to instill some self-belief, character and leadership skills into ONE individual to carry the team over this leadership crisis. This, I believe is beyond his capabilities.
Cosidering he's already on his 4th choice of captain, through no fault of his own, I still don't see why Betts is getting the blame for Newton's lack of captaincy experience.
He is not being critiscised for Newtons captaincy experience but because he gave it to a player he fully intended to subsitute on a regular basis.

He also has two players in the team in Orr and Moran who have captaincy experience and would be expected to be on the pitch the full 80 so his choices for captain seem to be based on seniority along the lines of how long have you played for Wigan.

Previously I would have said give to Moran as I would hope it might get him to organise things but he seems on a different planet at the moment. So when Orr returns I'd give to him as it might help his confidence and despite not playing well he is trying IMO.

The original decision to give it to Rads was also a mistake IMO. Betts may have thought it was a temporary measure with Faz to return but that was not reason to give to someone who I see as quiet thoughtful player as opposed to a boss and on-field motivator.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted
He is not being critiscised for Newtons captaincy experience but because he gave it to a player he fully intended to subsitute on a regular basis.

He also has two players in the team in Orr and Moran who have captaincy experience and would be expected to be on the pitch the full 80 so his choices for captain seem to be based on seniority along the lines of how long have you played for Wigan.

Previously I would have said give to Moran as I would hope it might get him to organise things but he seems on a different planet at the moment. So when Orr returns I'd give to him as it might help his confidence and despite not playing well he is trying IMO.

I was replying to this from "Dove":
Betts needs to instill some self-belief, character and leadership skills into ONE individual to carry the team over this leadership crisis. This, I believe is beyond his capabilities.
I agree with you (yes, again!), DaveO, but that's with the benefit of a few games worth of hindsight. Many people (on this board and elsewhere) were calling for Newton to be given the chance even while Rads was fit, the only perceived drawback being Newton's "temperament", which hasn't really been an issue.
Had Betts given the captaincy to Orr or Moran (when fit) he'd have been criticized for overlooking Newton in favour of a player in their first season at the club.
As I said, though, I do now agree with you that it's time to try someone else.
bertina

Post by bertina »

excellent post GEOFFN
WNAC TAKE NOTE!!!
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

At last someone talking sense! I said all along to give Danny Orr the captaincy its certainly worth a try. But i dont really think the captaincy is the issue. All along i've stuck up for Denis Betts but i don't how long i can keep defending him. Somethings not right and whilst it's easy to blame the players if they are not been motivated and coached in the right way then there's only one person to blame - The coach. I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of having a go at Denis because he is doing his best but i think the lack of experience is one of the major reasons why he is struggling. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a new coach (who, i don't know) and put Denis back as assistant so he can get more experience and learn whilst still being involved with this great club. It's only a suggestion but somethings got to give soon otherwise our season could be over.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

hayley 04 posted:
At last someone talking sense! I said all along to give Danny Orr the captaincy its certainly worth a try.
To enable us to do this, surprisingly he has to play which he has been doing very little of recently
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

mrs_carney posted:
hayley 04 posted:
At last someone talking sense! I said all along to give Danny Orr the captaincy its certainly worth a try.
To enable us to do this, surprisingly he has to play which he has been doing very little of recently
:angry:
You beat me to that reply Mrscarney !!!

:angry:
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

its not worth a try giving danny orr the captains job as mrs_c said he never players and all he does do when he does play is limp off injured or tackle all the time. What an unreliable captain he would be.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
warrior till i die

its not worth a try giving danny orr the captains job as mrs_c said he never players and all he does do when he does play is limp off injured or tackle all the time. What an unreliable captain he would be.

in 85, at wem ber ley

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

warrior till i die

in 85, at wem ber ley

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Lockers15

Post by Lockers15 »

ME N A FEW LADS HAVE STARTED A CAMPAIGN!
"lets kick betts out of wigan rl- Bring in Ian Millward"
weve made a banner and you can see it up in the south stand!