Doris must Go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Doris must Go

Post by ian.birchall »

Black Pearl, where where?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

El Rifle posted:
whats the point sacking doris? his hands are tied with an iminent takeover. He should have recruited more in the off season yes but he has made a lot of good signings for us - remember he is not the coach. Although they havent played well for us i was excited when i heard Danny orr was coming to us, and Moran. he has brought in guys like Craig smith, Dallas, carney, lam, renouf - his only problem is he hasnt recruited enough.

The team are playin bad because we have a bad coach, ive said it from the start. Betts' best attribute is motivating his team to tackle, but the same speech every week will wear off after a while. A new coach and add some players....why bother sacking Doris? what difference will it make?
Can I apologise to Adrian Lam he has been a good oversea's signing. Why blame Maurice because he picks the players we sign. I can't actually believe a man who has never played the game is scouting oversea's players. I agree that at this moment his hands may well be tied but that's no excuse for the signings he made in the off season. I also have reservations about Denis Betts as a coach but I have to reserve judgement as he is working with a bunch of young lads who are clearly now feeling the strain of getting bashed about every week. I think that you can only work with what you have and unfortunately we haven't got much.
Pain is temporary pride is forever
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

Although i feel the time has come for doris to pack is troubles in his old kit bag and bugger off to aus, you cant really argue with the signings hes made, but I feel these have been at a cost. I heard from a reliable source that before craig smith came to wigan, he was offered 40k a year by leads and 50k by another club and wigan offered him 80k to come to the JJB, I have no problem with the type of players he goes for but offering stupid money when it could be better spend elsewhere has been doris's biggest problem and his failings have been highlighted as the salary cap restrictions are now really beginning to bite.

lest we forget he tried signing the best centre in the world in Mark Gasnier and at the last moment he turned us down, just like wendall Sailor and what about andrew johns who was gonna come to wigan if not for all his injury problems.

I do think its time for someone else to take charge, we do however owe this man our sincere gratitude as black pearl if it wasnt for maurice, ellery would have been at wigan and all those great trips to wembley may have never happened!!

we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

TomThumb posted:
Although i feel the time has come for doris to pack is troubles in his old kit bag and bugger off to aus, you cant really argue with the signings hes made, but I feel these have been at a cost. I heard from a reliable source that before craig smith came to wigan, he was offered 40k a year by leads and 50k by another club and wigan offered him 80k to come to the JJB, I have no problem with the type of players he goes for but offering stupid money when it could be better spend elsewhere has been doris's biggest problem and his failings have been highlighted as the salary cap restrictions are now really beginning to bite.

lest we forget he tried signing the best centre in the world in Mark Gasnier and at the last moment he turned us down, just like wendall Sailor and what about andrew johns who was gonna come to wigan if not for all his injury problems.

I do think its time for someone else to take charge, we do however owe this man our sincere gratitude as black pearl if it wasnt for maurice, ellery would have been at wigan and all those great trips to wembley may have never happened!!

:( You can't say that, we could have been even greater, had a chairman with more hands on experience been in charge for the last few years !

It's time Doris was on his bike, we are at our lowest ebb for years, and if StHelens knock us out of the cup, unless our lads can raise their game, then our season is more or less over, lets also hope for a decent result against Warrington, but I dopn't think many people are confident about that one either.

:angry:
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

I can say whatever i want to MATE!!!

I fully appreciate what doris did for us in the late 80's and early 90's and i think in sport its to easy to forget what people have achieved. I also was very happy when he came back and to over from that solicitor guy (norbury) and although i think he hasnt done what he said he was going to and I do thinks its time for him to go!! I just think people should just remember the fact that he helped bring a lot of sucess to the club and deserves a bit more respect than you WNAC and the rest of you give him credit for!!
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

TomThumb posted:
I can say whatever i want to MATE!!!

I fully appreciate what doris did for us in the late 80's and early 90's and i think in sport its to easy to forget what people have achieved. I also was very happy when he came back and to over from that solicitor guy (norbury) and although i think he hasnt done what he said he was going to and I do thinks its time for him to go!! I just think people should just remember the fact that he helped bring a lot of sucess to the club and deserves a bit more respect than you WNAC and the rest of you give him credit for!!
:angry: There are many people I am glad to call mate, however you are not one of them, and i would appreciate it, if you would, in this instance, stick to the criticism !!

:angry: :angry:
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

And the there's me thinking i wanted to be friends with someone with someone who gets out of bed on the wrong side every day!!!

Its bad enough that i have to put up with my mother in law!!!!

:wink:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

The Black Pearl posted:
El Rifle posted:
whats the point sacking doris? his hands are tied with an iminent takeover. He should have recruited more in the off season yes but he has made a lot of good signings for us - remember he is not the coach. Although they havent played well for us i was excited when i heard Danny orr was coming to us, and Moran. he has brought in guys like Craig smith, Dallas, carney, lam, renouf - his only problem is he hasnt recruited enough.

The team are playin bad because we have a bad coach, ive said it from the start. Betts' best attribute is motivating his team to tackle, but the same speech every week will wear off after a while. A new coach and add some players....why bother sacking Doris? what difference will it make?
Can I apologise to Adrian Lam he has been a good oversea's signing. Why blame Maurice because he picks the players we sign. I can't actually believe a man who has never played the game is scouting oversea's players. I agree that at this moment his hands may well be tied but that's no excuse for the signings he made in the off season. I also have reservations about Denis Betts as a coach but I have to reserve judgement as he is working with a bunch of young lads who are clearly now feeling the strain of getting bashed about every week. I think that you can only work with what you have and unfortunately we haven't got much.
Apart from the last few seasons, Lindsays oversas signings have been awsome. Hes been here since 1979 I think, in that time you look at the quality overseas players he has brought in.

I do agree though that recently our signings have been dull and not what we expect at Wigan, look back to 99-00 season when we brought in Renouf, Dallas, Lam, Johns, Furner and the season after Criag Smith. All of those where awsome signings and showed we had ambition, Johns time wasnt great but everyone was excited by his signature at the time. And its since these people have left the club thats the problem, we have not replaced them with players of the same quality.
I dont no whether this seasons recruitment was down to money, salary cap or there just wasnt the players available, or whether Lindsay/Whelan have just lost interest, we need to sign some genuine quality in our recruitment for next season, genuine matchwinners, player who excite the crowd. We dont want any more steady-Eddies, we have enough of those already.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ChrisA posted:
Apart from the last few seasons, Lindsays oversas signings have been awsome. Hes been here since 1979 I think, in that time you look at the quality overseas players he has brought in.

I do agree though that recently our signings have been dull and not what we expect at Wigan, look back to 99-00 season when we brought in Renouf, Dallas, Lam, Johns, Furner and the season after Criag Smith. All of those where awsome signings and showed we had ambition, Johns time wasnt great but everyone was excited by his signature at the time. And its since these people have left the club thats the problem, we have not replaced them with players of the same quality.
I dont no whether this seasons recruitment was down to money, salary cap or there just wasnt the players available, or whether Lindsay/Whelan have just lost interest, we need to sign some genuine quality in our recruitment for next season, genuine matchwinners, player who excite the crowd. We dont want any more steady-Eddies, we have enough of those already.
I agree but it seems harder to sign exciting players these days. They seem to want to stay in Australia to seek representative honours and only come here at the end of their career. Craig Smith would have stayed put had he not fallen out with the Aussie RL Judiciary over his rnning style and Lyon over at Saints would not be there were it not for going walkabout beforehand.

Few of the other recent signings in SL are what you would really call top players.

If I have a critisim of Lindsay it is being slow to act when situations arise such as the Lyon one described above.

While we were triyng to tempt one of the London second row forwards to come here Saints signed Anderson who was originally London bound from under our noses.

How did we miss him when we are down in experienced forwards?

I think Mo knows a decent player when he sees one but just does not seem to have the connections he once did to actually know which class players are available.

The other thing I wuld add is that if we do manage to sign a top player you will have people queuing up on here saying we are wasting the Farrell money on one player when what we really need is a couple of steddie-eddies. He can't win on that one whatever he does because if he does sign a couple of steady-eddies he will be accused of signing players not of Wigan standard.

My view on this is that with an overseas quota of three we should fill those slots with three really good players who can excite the crowd and add something extra to the squad. Whether that is possible these days with the seasons in sync and the Aussies wanting to stay at home, I don't know.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TomThumb posted:
I heard from a reliable source that before craig smith came to wigan, he was offered 40k a year by leads and 50k by another club and wigan offered him 80k to come to the JJB, I have no problem with the type of players he goes for but offering stupid money when it could be better spend elsewhere has been doris's biggest problem and his failings have been highlighted as the salary cap restrictions are now really beginning to bite.
Sorry to bring facts into the debate once again, but £80k (if your source is correct) is only an average SL salary.
A club has £1.8m to spend; only 20 of the squad can be on more than £20k...leaving, say, 8 players on £19.9k = £160k
That leaves £1.64m to share on the 20/20 players, at an average of £82k each.

I'd say we got, in Smith, an above average player on an average wage - looks like a good deal to me.
I do agree that we were stupid to let him go, though.