Doris must Go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TomThumb

Re: Doris must Go

Post by TomThumb »

I was clearly making the point that doris is paying over inflated prices therefore reducing the amount we can spend on other players!! Its no wonder saints and bradford can have a team full of stars and all we get is average players and a team full of kids.. why else cant we afford to go out and buy some world class players... cause there is no money left in the pot!!!
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

its hard for mo to find players at this stage of the season as all the players are tied up in their contracts with their clubs. And also hock and lockers are out for the season but we still have to count them under the salary cap? :conf: Does anyone know why?
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

because they are still being paid by wigan as they are still under contract with wigan
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

:conf:
ancient and loyal upon my chest

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

mrs_carney posted:
because they are still being paid by wigan as they are still under contract with wigan
I wouldn't have thought they were on that much anyway. I bet your bloke is on more than the pair of them :)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

TomThumb posted:
I was clearly making the point that doris is paying over inflated prices therefore reducing the amount we can spend on other players!! Its no wonder saints and bradford can have a team full of stars and all we get is average players and a team full of kids.. why else cant we afford to go out and buy some world class players... cause there is no money left in the pot!!!
Sorry, this is just wrong. The salary cap rule that prevents us signing players is not the £1.8M limit - its the 20/20 rule. If we want to keep any of our kids after a couple of seasons they end up earning over 20K, therefore occupying a salary cap 20/20 spot. Its either this, or releasing them. This limits the number of players we can offer big money to, but there isn't much of a limit on the amount we can offer them under the cap. If you look at Saints and Bradford and count the number of kids they have brought through in recent years, its no where near the number we have at the moment - that's why our squad is full of kids.

The major mistake made was the release of too many experienced players in one go at the end of last season. Looking back, we ripped the heart out of the club at a time when the only backup we had were inexperience, young and lightweight kids. At least a couple of O'Connor, Smith, Cassidy, Connolly should have been retained, if only to sit on the bench for a year if the season had gone according to plan.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

i dont know, wigan had stiff competition to keep o'loughlin this season apparantly he had some huge offers from other clubs so i'd imagine hes on more than hock anyway
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Agreed. I think Hock had started to show he was worth a decent contract too but I don't think he was on the real money prior to getting hurt. I just hope they both come back spot on, well paid and raring to go (for our new coach, on our new ground, under our new chairman.... :wink: )
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

Mike, i wasnt specifically refering to this season, i am aware and fully understand the 20/20 rule and the 1.8m salary cap.I understand we cant go out and buy players now, but the problem is doris is paying our players too much for what they are worth and this has meant that instead of getting a team that is strong across the full squad, you get a few highly paid players and then we have to rely on younsters coz there is not enough left in the pot. Were before the salary cap we could go out and snap up all the best british and aussie players coz we had enough cash to pay them good wages. This is not possible now as the salary cap is mostly taken up by a few top players.

jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Spot on Doug apart from the gratuitous ageism!! :D