Is Betts doing such a bad job?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mario

Is Betts doing such a bad job?

Post by mario »

On friday night and most of the season we have been forced to field weaker sides than the ones Milly gets slated for putting out.When Millward has put these teams out, he has also failed to coach them to anything other than big defeats.Everybody agrees that Millward is a great coach,so if he can't do it, what makes people think Betts should?
Think about the players we were missing on friday that should have been in our starting line up at the start of the season.
Radders,Carney,Orr,Tickle,hock,o'loughlin,Davico and FAZ.Put this together with Mos' poor signings. Is Denis doing such a bad job?
I'd happily give ANY superleague club a 10 point start if they were missing 8 players from their first
I'd even let their coach chose them.
we_need_a_coach

Re: Is Betts doing such a bad ...

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:( Yes he is !!!!!!!!!!!

:(
mario

Re: Is Betts doing such a ...

Post by mario »

W.A.N.C
WHY?
craigbeck

Post by craigbeck »

Denis is doing the best he can with a young inexperience side. I hope he does not become the scapegoat for all the injuries that have dragged the team down this season.

:cool:

http://www.rockfm.co.uk
Sponsor Of Wigan Warriors
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am with Mario to an extent. We have been stuffed by injuries and the sale of Faz. I am not sure Denis is the best man to develop what we have, simply through his inexperience, though.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Exactly right, Mario. I've been saying this all season - our starting squad would have been a match for anyone, had we ever been able to field it. I, and many others, felt that we were probably one prop short, but other than that we'd certainly have been competitive.
Sides can lose 2 or 3 players at a time, without suffering too much, but any more than that (under this 20/20 rule) and any squad will suffer.
Faz's leaving is a "red herring" since he would still be out injured anyway, even if he wasn't going.

Rads, Dallas, Vaealiki, Aspinwall, Carney, Orr, Moran, Seuseu, Newton, Davico, Farrell, Tickle, O'Loughlin.
Hock, Sculthorpe, Wild, Brown

as a starting 17.

Godwin, Hansen, Beswick, Allen, Colbon, Hargreaves, Coyle, Melling and Prescott in reserve.

Looked pretty much OK to me!
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

now when and if they are all fit i could think of this squad which wouldnt do a bad job..

rads,dallas,aspinwall,vaealiki,carney,orr,moran,seu seu,newton,sculthorpe,guisset,hansen,tickle subs godwin,brown,wild,mcdonald. That would be a match for the top 6 the problem is getting them all fit.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Do you see what we mean WNAC.

A detailed thorough message is posted with a question and all you say is "yes" without even thinking of the situation in hand, the players or management. You tell us why it is Dennis Betts fault that over the last few years we have not signed many experienced players that are actually playing rather injured this season? Come on, we are ALL awaiting your experienced, older "I've seen the best Wigan team EVER" response.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

As another point... a few people have posted that we need a more experienced coach to get the most out of the inexperienced players.

Can anyone explain exactly what this means?

Having watched every Wigan game this season the main thing I have noticed is that we make loads of stupid errors, now I can't see how any different type of coaching will change this, unless of course Denis is teaching them to catch the ball with clenched fists, but I ver much doubt that.

Going back to Marios initial point, Saint Helens were beaten 54-8 by Bradford and they still had some quality in there in the likes of Gleeson and Wilkin. The squad is very much comparable to the one which Wigan have been forced to field in the past few weeks yet our greatest defeat was 40-8 also at Odsal. I can only conclude that having a top coach doesn't really count for much if you have a severely weakened squad.

As with MrsLam I do hope that these WNAC and co. will read and give a sensible response to these well supported arguements because I am interested to hear why they think things are so different.
ChrisA

Re: Is Betts doing such a bad ...

Post by ChrisA »

He has nothing to work with we are poor team, but hes not the man to get the best out of them because he has no experience of dealing with situations like this.