Is Betts doing such a bad job?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Is Betts doing such a ...

Post by Fraggle »

warrior till i die posted:
what you on about fraggle your kris rads remember. :)
Be thankful you've never seen me try to play rugby! Actually, about the only thing I do remember from the very basic rugby training I did was how to take a high kick, but UTC only faced two of those on Friday and they were dealt with as casually as Kris normally does. Our efforts at dealing with the high kicks caused a few more heart problems and were much more akin to my own feeble skills!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
mario

Post by mario »

DaveO posted:
mario posted:
On friday night and most of the season we have been forced to field weaker sides than the ones Milly gets slated for putting out.When Millward has put these teams out, he has also failed to coach them to anything other than big defeats.Everybody agrees that Millward is a great coach,so if he can't do it, what makes people think Betts should?
Think about the players we were missing on friday that should have been in our starting line up at the start of the season.
Are you being serious?

When Millward has put out rubbish sides he knows very well what the result will be. He even played Bradford with 12 men for 40 mins in one game.

He wasn't even trying to win those games, Betts is and still can't get it right and that is the difference.
Radders,Carney,Orr,Tickle,hock,o'loughlin,Davico and FAZ.Put this together with Mos' poor signings. Is Denis doing such a bad job?
Yes he is doing a bad job IMO. He has players like Brown, Godwin, Newton, Wilde, Tickle, Moran, Guissett, Vaeliki, Seu Seu, McDonald, Aspinwall and Dallas who have all been fit more than injured. They are experienced players and are not playing to their potential in many cases. That is down to him IMO. Things like making Newton captain then taking him off the pitch every game isn't exactly a master stroke of coaching IMO.
I'd happily give ANY superleague club a 10 point start if they were missing 8 players from their first
I'd even let their coach chose them.
The fact of the matter is the players we do have available are playing very poorly. No ideas in attack and making basic mistakes.

It is not the opposition that worries me but our own team and coach at the moment. I beleive they have the potential to do much better than they are and if a team doesn't reach its potential you have to look to the coach as being the problem.

Dave
Yes i was being serious. So on easter Monday you think Milly did'nt coach Saints at all? Not long after that, he lost just 2 Players for the rest of the season which had the same effect as Wigan losing several players this season. Unless of course he decided not to coach Saints for the rest of the season.
we_need_a_coach

Re: Is Betts doing such a bad ...

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:angry:

YES, he is doing a bad job !!!

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mario posted:

Yes i was being serious. So on easter Monday you think Milly did'nt coach Saints at all? Not long after that, he lost just 2 Players for the rest of the season which had the same effect as Wigan losing several players this season. Unless of course he decided not to coach Saints for the rest of the season.
What has easter monday got to do with it? You said about Millward not being able to coach a poor side as was shown when his reserve team failed to beat Bradford. I was pointing out he didn't even try to win those games so it is hardly a comparative test of his coaching ability compared to Betts who is trying to win games.

His team have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat numerous times in the past few years the latest effort v Wire. We on the other hand snatch defeat from the jaws of victory v Bradford!

The best we seem capable of at the moment is raising our game when we play Saints but for the rest of the time against sides like Wakefield, Hudds, London, Widnes and even UTC we look terrible and make the same mistakes week in, week out.

If it was the bad games that were the rarity it would not be such a big deal but they aren't. The team isn't improving makes the same fundamental errora and it is experienced players who are coming up with mistakes.

Betts is the coach and is the one who needs to get the players playing better. He isn't doing a good job of it.

Dave

NTA1

Post by NTA1 »

Sorry, but yes is the true answer.
mario

Post by mario »

Dave O. The point is,Saints lost 10 games last season with only 2 players missing long term. We have been without far more players for longer.
Great coach that Millward is,he could'nt manage to coach Saints any better last season than Betts is with Wigan this season, and Milly had far more Experienced Players available than Betts.
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

we_need_a_coach posted:

:angry: :angry: :angry:
mario

Post by mario »

we_need_a_coach posted:
we_need_a_coach posted:

:angry: :angry: :angry:
Still don't know why then?
What do you care anyway? I read on another topic that your not going to continue watching Warriors.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Take Wellens, Albert, Hooper, Sculthorpe, Gilmour, Wilkin, Feunati and Fozzard out of the saints squad, and look at what's left. (as the closest equivalents to Rads, Carney, Orr, Hock, O'Loughlin, Farrell, Tickle and Davico)
Their starting squad was no bigger or better than ours.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
Take Wellens, Albert, Hooper, Sculthorpe, Gilmour, Wilkin, Feunati and Fozzard out of the saints squad, and look at what's left. (as the closest equivalents to Rads, Carney, Orr, Hock, O'Loughlin, Farrell, Tickle and Davico)
Their starting squad was no bigger or better than ours.
The point I have being trying to make is that the squad we have should be playing better than it is and that it is the coaches responsibility to get it playing to the best of its ability.

It is falling short of that IMO and despite the disruption by injuries it should be playing better. Basic mistakes that school kids would not make as often such as dropping the ball are getting bizarre to watch they occur so often.

These guys are paid to play this game and I bet every amateur player in the Wigan area is wondering why at the moment!

Dave