Is Betts doing such a bad job?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Is Betts doing such a ...

Post by DaveO »

mario posted:
Dave O. The point is,Saints lost 10 games last season with only 2 players missing long term. We have been without far more players for longer.
Great coach that Millward is,he could'nt manage to coach Saints any better last season than Betts is with Wigan this season, and Milly had far more Experienced Players available than Betts.
He took Saints to victory in the Challenge Cup in case you forgot so IMO he managed Saints quite well enough last season. But who cares about him? The question was is Betts doing a good job and if he isn't saying someone else would not hack it either doesn't solve the problem.

You have to judge Betts on how Wigan are playing not how some other team played last season and Wigan are not playinmg well at all.

Dave
mario

Post by mario »

Saints had a full squad available that day.
All i'm doing is comparing what most people think is a good coach with Betts and IMO in our current situation, Millward would'nt be doing any better than Denis.
Were not playing well at the moment,but with the injuries that we have it is only to be expected.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mario posted:
All i'm doing is comparing what most people think is a good coach with Betts and IMO in our current situation, Millward would'nt be doing any better than Denis.
Were not playing well at the moment,but with the injuries that we have it is only to be expected.
It doesn't make any difference what squad Millward had available that day. Saints won one of only two trophies available. In fact comparing Betts to Millward or anyone else is pointless.

You should judge Betts how our team are playing.

The injury excuse doesn't wash anymore because it is a question of how he is getting those players that ARE fit playing not how the team might go if we had a full squad.

It is up to Betts to get whoever is available doing the basics right and playing to what strengths they have not (for exmaple) trying to take Bradford on up the middle.

As I said before quite a few players have not been injured but are still performing below par or making mistakes.

We don't seem to have any tactics, we can't catch the ball, we drop it and we have no leader on the pitch.

We are only one player short this weekend from a full squad and any team should be able to cope with that. We need a much better display than v UTC by a long way.

If they look devoid of ideas yet again and come up with another error-strewn performance then Betts won't last much longer IMO.

Dave
heydude

Post by heydude »

DaveO posted:
mario posted:
It doesn't make any difference what squad Millward had available that day. Saints won one of only two trophies available. In fact comparing Betts to Millward or anyone else is pointless.

You should judge Betts how our team are playing.

The injury excuse doesn't wash anymore because it is a question of how he is getting those players that ARE fit playing not how the team might go if we had a full squad.

It is up to Betts to get whoever is available doing the basics right and playing to what strengths they have not (for exmaple) trying to take Bradford on up the middle.

As I said before quite a few players have not been injured but are still performing below par or making mistakes.

We don't seem to have any tactics, we can't catch the ball, we drop it and we have no leader on the pitch.

We are only one player short this weekend from a full squad and any team should be able to cope with that. We need a much better display than v UTC by a long way.

If they look devoid of ideas yet again and come up with another error-strewn performance then Betts won't last much longer IMO.

Dave
what happens if they win convincingly and do a tremendous performance can we then say it is down to injuries then or has betts just got lucky.
don't eat yellow snow
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

How does this feel DaveO? :eusa17:

Do you expect Mario to change his mind? I agree with you 100% but I wouldn't bother posting my views more than once because you won't get your message through.
mario

Post by mario »

One player short of a full squad?
Are you sure?
I don't think we'll be in that position till next season.
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

mario posted:
:( You are very, ery easily pleased Mario, Betts has no idea, perhaps you will all agree after Sunday, because IMO after that he'll be gone !!!

:wink: :wink:
mario

Post by mario »

And if we win on Sunday, you'll go on holiday for 5 days and not post any messages.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
In fact comparing Betts to Millward or anyone else is pointless.

Dave
Not really, because we have to make some comparison too see whether we'd do any better with Millie or anyone else. IMO, it would make little, if any difference who was coaching our current squad.