We Need our Fans more than ever - Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

We Need our Fans more than ever - Wane

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane has today called for unity ahead of a crucial run of games for his team.

The Warriors are set to play four home games in as many weeks with Wane insisting the Club's fans can help his side pick up as many points as possible and move up the Super League table.

Wakefield visit the DW Stadium on Friday evening with the Good Friday derby with St Helens just a week later. Catalans travel over from France the following Sunday before a crunch clash with local rivals Warrington.

The Warriors are yet to lose a Super League game at the DW but Wane recognises his team needs to improve performances and knows how important the fans' support can be in helping his team.

"There is no better stadium in the country than a rocking DW Stadium and we really need to get back to that," said Wane. "It has been a frustrating time for everyone lately and believe you me, there is no one more frustrated than myself and the Coaching Staff.

"The players are just as frustrated and the dressing room after the Leeds game showed me that. I know we've not given the fans much to celebrate in our opening few games, I understand that. As a team we are not performing to the standard that we have come to expect, the players know it, I know it and the fans know it. The Wigan fans are very knowledgeable and certainly know their Rugby League, now is the time though when we need their support more than ever.

"I said recently that other clubs and people from outside of Wigan love to see us lose and they really do. Some people are already writing us off. As a Club we need to stand together, be positive and support each other; players, staff and fans. We have a young squad who need to be able to play with freedom so they can show their talents. I also need my leadership team and the senior players to step up. The players have been working overtime lately and we are all confident it (the results) will come."

The Warriors Head Coach has certainly given youth a chance in his time in charge with 13 of the current first team squad making their debut under Wane having progressed through the Wigan Warriors Academy. The Club has also opted to sign young players with Dan Sarginson, Anthony Gelling and John Bateman all developing under his stewardship.

Wane said: "I'm giving these players the chance because I believe in them and know what they can do, they are very talented. The youth setup here at Wigan is the best in world rugby and we are the envy of pretty much any club rugby team. Believe me, Kris Radlinski has done an incredible job in keeping a lot of these players here. We have had interest in pretty much every one of our young players and work tirelessly to convince them that Wigan is the best place for them to develop as players and win trophies. We've also re-signed Joel Tomkins and Lee Mossop in the last 9 months, two household names that would be huge signings for any team. I genuinely do think we are in a better place than last year and working together as a Club we will get back to where we all want to be."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... QJtOlWG.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Re: We Need our Fans more than ever - Wane

Post by cpwigan »

Replace Wane problems solved.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Same old same old. blah blah blah. Sick of hearing him talk the talk. Think it's about time he walked the walk.I also will bet him all the money in the world he's not as frustrated as me. Actions speak louder than words Mr Wane.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We have a young squad who need to be able to play with freedom so they can show their talents
So why are they clearly playing to a rigid game plan then?

Is this just more flannel?
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

well Shaun after reading this yes you do need the fan behind you but the fabs also need comitment from the players on paper you have got the best players in the league si what has gone wrong some players not good enough give the youngers a chance drop players that are not performing
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

He could please the fans by playing Hampshire at 6, and Williams at 7.

And drop the players not doing it.
markill

Post by markill »

First Try Tickle wrote:He could please the fans by playing Hampshire at 6, and Williams at 7.

He needs to find someone to pay full back too though.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

markill wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:He could please the fans by playing Hampshire at 6, and Williams at 7.

Who would you go with to play fullback?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Charnley or Sarg at full back for me.
He does have a point insofar as they need all the support we can give them. That is the one thing the club can rely on. Critics, yes, but always supporters.
markill

Post by markill »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
markill wrote:

Who would you go with to play fullback?
Personally, I think it's time Rocky got a run there. If the club see that as his most effective first grade position they need to get him playing it. Otherwise he'll never be ready to play. Raw and unpolished as he is he needs game time. There are people at the club who can teach him the things he needs to learn and full back gives him more space at the higher level to express the abilities he had that can't really be taught. I know everyone is obsessed with him being a stand off but I think the transition can be made by him successfully given the support.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod