A chance for us all to improve the club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

A chance for us all to improve the club

Post by Mike »

The club has asked for suggestions to help improve the atmosphere at the JJB so nows the chance for everyone here with their strong opinions on the state of the club to actually influence things directly.

Now I know that we will get a lot of posts like "sack Wane", "make the team play better", "change tatics" etc, but outside of that sort of thing what would you change or introduce at the JJB to encourage atmosphere.

I also think despite what I've said above that we'll probably get a bunch of posts saying that if you ignore things like "sacking wane", "playing better" etc, then you are ignoring the problems at the club.

However, even though I know its tempting, *try* not to post along those lines. I'm interested in non team measures and I'm aware of most poster's positions on team matters and that those factors have a major influence on atmosphere.

So any suggestions for practical measures on atmosphere, perhaps taking inspiration from other sports.

To set the ball rolling, I recently went to an NFL game and they encouraged the crowd to make a lot of noise when the opposition had the ball. The aim was to disrupt there play calling. Could this work in RL to prevent the organisation of the attacking plays? You'd certainly need to be very loud to have an effect. However just trying would increase the atmosphere and intensity of the crowd. Thoughts?

Oh and sack wane. :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Re: A chance for us all to improve the club

Post by josie andrews »

I recently went to an NFL game and they encouraged the crowd to make a lot of noise when the opposition had the ball. The aim was to disrupt there play calling.
Didn't the guy with the trumpet at Leeds do that when the opposition were kicking off to disrupt the kicker?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

1. Fill the stadium.

And to do that you will have to make tickets a lot cheaper unless the marketing department posses a genius no one knows about. And not at the expense of season ticket holders so that means cheap tickets all around.

The Big ones seem to work but I think they do because we get a lot of opposition fans in the DW and we Wigan fans react to them.

2. Sign a very good player not from Wigan.

I reckon the club needs to pay what it needs to pay to get very good overseas signing. Will put bums on seats (better atmosphere should result..). Wigan has a great tradition of quality imports from anywhere as much as it does a great youth set up.

No 2 will improve the team and sorry Mike but the best way to improve the atmosphere really is to improve matters on the pitch. The crowd is more nervous than the players and in my view the side is crying out for in, an ideal world, Trent Barrett MkII to walk in and take the team by the scruff of the neck.

A player of that quality is beyond us financially but we need a smart signing like Green in that case.

If those two are not options then it really is sack Wane as we need a new coach to get the team we have playing better. Do that and the atmosphere will improve.

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Each player has their own signature tune/song, and when that player scores, their tune/song is played over the tannoy.
It's old school Bradford but I enjoyed it when the mrs went to watch her team.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Rentacrowd.

What about employing someone to get the crowd going . Didnt someone do that last season and it worked?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
markill

Post by markill »

josie andrews wrote:
I recently went to an NFL game and they encouraged the crowd to make a lot of noise when the opposition had the ball. The aim was to disrupt there play calling.
Didn't the guy with the trumpet at Leeds do that when the opposition were kicking off to disrupt the kicker?
I think it was at Bradford and it was a trumpet sound over the tannoy.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I thought we already had one of these requests and that led to the 'creation' of a singing /standing area.

My suggestions would be v the majority of clubs with little away support we open the North Stand to Wigan fans, alternatively make the stand on such occasions amateur junior RL events with very low cost entry and encourage junior participation in RL to help the RFL actually meet its target.

Every home game have a past legend as guest of honour, videos of match clips involving said player and interview on pitch / walk the pitch to encourage crowd to 'recognise' / applaud. Imagine Ellery or Edwards.
markill

Post by markill »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Rentacrowd.

What about employing someone to get the crowd going . Didnt someone do that last season and it worked?
Us and Leeds both did it. It was good.

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
markill

Post by markill »

Drums have always been the best way to get the noise going in my opinion. Get more drums back across the top of the South and Boston stands.

Maybe play a recording of a fans song when the players come out to get people started. Could do the same at important parts of the game like before drop outs or something if we're allowed to.

Make a bigger deal out of substitutions maybe too. If the announcer is more into what is going on and what the players have done or can do it might get more of a response.

It's not just at home our crowd noise has been suffering this year though. Other than Widnes it's felt like turning up hoping we don't make mistakes/penalties, hence the nervousness Dave talks about.

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

After a date cut off time, give all the unsold tickets to the local schools for the young local supporters who cannot afford to buy one. This will get a great atmosphere & also get the kids into the habit of coming to watch Wigan and hence future supporters, also give them flags to wave if we score a try, " you will notice I didn't say when "