Rugby Codes Collide

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Rugby Codes Collide

Post by josie andrews »

Two rugby codes collided again this week as Wigan Rugby League hosted Bath Rugby Union for a two-day training camp.

The pair worked together last year when the Warriors travelled down to the South West of England in August as they neared the end of their First Utility Super League campaign and Bath started their Aviva Premiership campaign.

Now with the roles reversed, both Head Coaches felt it was a great time to train together again.

Wigan Head Coach, Shaun Wane said: "They looked after us last year down in Bath, I was really impressed with the facilities and when we came back we went on a decent run in the play-offs and it paid off. This was sorted a few months ago, we wanted to return the favour and we've had a great couple of days together. We're running against players that don't know our systems so it's been really beneficial, to have people like Sam Burgess, Mike Ford and Kyle Eastmond here has been great and we've really enjoyed it.

"They probably took a little bit more out of the attack as we've been doing it for years but Mike Ford is a very forward thinking coach, he is trying to think of ways to make his team the best in rugby union and I admire that. We've worked on certain things like their kickers and trying to improve ours so we're just trying to get benefits for both clubs.

Mike Ford, Bath Head Coach said: "We've got a lot out of it. If you've been watching Bath play over the last 18 months, we've been very much playing like a rugby league team.

"What's happened in rugby union in the last 10 years is that a lot of rugby league coaches have gone over to work in defence and they put in some good systems which take some breaking down. So we need some rugby league attacking ideas to break down the rugby league defences these guys, including myself, have put in.

"What we learn from Wigan is the actual detail on the execution. We've learned loads this week, like we did last August when Shaun came down to Bath. We're really grateful to Shaun and to Wigan for this opportunity."

Exclusive footage of the session will be available on Wigan TV later today.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... VRlvhWt.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Re: Rugby Codes Collide

Post by BriH »

Not that relevant, but there was a clip on Boots 'n'All from 1995(?) Wigan v Bath.
The look on Shaun Edwards' face when they came out for the first match said it all!! I think Wigan put 80 odd points on the RaRas. Afterwards Shaun said Maurice Lyndsay told him to go easy on them otherwise it would have been a 100!
Apparently Shaun was spitting tacks at that.
I think my laal Marra from Whitehaven, Craig Murdoch, scored the first RL try ever scored at Twickenham(?)
menpond

Post by menpond »

yes ,they were mostly amateurs though some were frauds as they got paid for pretend tv jobs but would not train.. some did some training and were at a reasonable standard. some would never be any good at all.Some were potentially great players but could not be bothered. Once the Union money was on the table ,the RL stalwarts were off ,forget league. Think Farrell and Edwards and lots more.
mp
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I recall Jeremy Guscott shitting bricks at being tackled by big rough Northern men so he claimed to have a cold or some other poncy injury so he didn't have to play in either game
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

think the quote was somewhere along the lines of "i was S*** scared of Tiguamala(sp) in Union, so i'm going nowhere near him now"
menpond

Post by menpond »

Jeremy Guscott was the most useless rugby player Ihave ever seen. non negotiable.
mp
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

IIRC Guscott stated that the union game had to be played with certain restrictions so the Wigan boys wouldn't be hurt during scrums, what a bell of the highest order
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

menpond wrote:Jeremy Guscott was the most useless rugby player Ihave ever seen. non negotiable.
With you 100% on that point MP.
What's your thoughts on Stuart Barnes and John Inverdale?
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
menpond wrote:Jeremy Guscott was the most useless rugby player Ihave ever seen. non negotiable.
COCKS
jobo

Post by jobo »

slimshady wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
COCKS
Too kind. Barnes especially.