Hampshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Hampshire

Post by Suzieb »

Ryan certainly deserves that no1 shirt
cpwigan

Re: Hampshire

Post by cpwigan »

Suzieb wrote:Ryan certainly deserves that no1 shirt
He does but he will be better as a halfback eventually. Today playing anything but Waneball he would have been much more dangerous with ball in hand. His defence / positioning was top drawer.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Indeed. And much as I'd like to see him partner George at HB, he should get the nod ahead of Bowen now!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I was pleased for Ryan today, he did very well but was protected by our great defence and didn't have to withstand any high balls under pressure. Today should b great for his confidence and should mean that Waney has to keep him at fullback t least until he has a poor game. Lets hope he now gets a good run at fullback because Waney won't play him at 6 until he's more confident about his tackling. George did a huge amount of tackling today and I don't think Ryan could have done the same. Defence will always come first for our coach. I still think George would be best at scrum half but if he continues to build an understanding with Matty he will stay at six for this season.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Indeed. And much as I'd like to see him partner George at HB, he should get the nod ahead of Bowen now!
Would love to see that myself. Move Sargison to fullback, Rocky to Standoff, and give Bowen an early release.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

He did well and that goal kick was sweet and important. Lots of pressure on him for that.

However I think that is the sort of game in which Bowen would have done really well in. Experience counts for a lot in games like that and given how tight it was I think he might have proved his doubters wrong had he played. We'll never know of course!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:He did well and that goal kick was sweet and important. Lots of pressure on him for that.

However I think that is the sort of game in which Bowen would have done really well in. Experience counts for a lot in games like that and given how tight it was I think he might have proved his doubters wrong had he played. We'll never know of course!
Dave you have just give the biggest reason why Rocky should play before Bowen. Goal kicking.

As you say we will not know it had an impact on the result but a good goal kicker can.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Yes and Josh to centre
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
DaveO wrote:He did well and that goal kick was sweet and important. Lots of pressure on him for that.
Dave you have just give the biggest reason why Rocky should play before Bowen. Goal kicking.
I was surprised he lined up to kick it but I immediately thought of the 1985 cup final where Gill kicked then from one side and Stephenson (I think it was him) from the other.

I wondered if that had anything to do with it, Smith not so good from the left?
As you say we will not know it had an impact on the result but a good goal kicker can.
It got Botica a place and it's been an issue for us for a while but I don't think people should be so quick to write Bowen off.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:
I was surprised he lined up to kick it but I immediately thought of the 1985 cup final where Gill kicked then from one side and Stephenson (I think it was him) from the other.

I wondered if that had anything to do with it, Smith not so good from the left?
Not writing him off but Rocky did nothing wrong to deserve the drop for the next game. Unless Bowen decides he wants to go home he still is a Wigan player.

It got Botica a place and it's been an issue for us for a while but I don't think people should be so quick to write Bowen off.