Charnley to centre!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Charnley to centre!

Post by cpwigan »

IMO watching today the biggest improvement we can make to the team is to play Josh at centre, leave Manfredi on the wing and drop Gelling who IMO is not good enough.

I would then look for a winger to replace Budgie next season. Carney? or someone from the NRL.
The booze hound

Re: Charnley to centre!

Post by The booze hound »

cpwigan wrote:IMO watching today the biggest improvement we can make to the team is to play Josh at centre, leave Manfredi on the wing and drop Gelling who IMO is not good enough.

I would then look for a winger to replace Budgie next season. Carney? or someone from the NRL.
Why try putting a round peg in a square hole? Charnleys best position is wing. If we need a centre we should either bring a youngster through or sign a top centre. There are very few better wingers than Charnley so why move him inside and negate some of his finest skills?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

We need to sign a centre not a winger when Budgie goes because Josh and Dom should be wingers!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:We need to sign a centre not a winger when Budgie goes because Josh and Dom should be wingers!!
:eusa2:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The booze hound wrote:
cpwigan wrote:IMO watching today the biggest improvement we can make to the team is to play Josh at centre, leave Manfredi on the wing and drop Gelling who IMO is not good enough.

Why try putting a round peg in a square hole? Charnleys best position is wing. If we need a centre we should either bring a youngster through or sign a top centre. There are very few better wingers than Charnley so why move him inside and negate some of his finest skills?
Started at centre for Hull KR before returning to Wigan on the wing. Dean Bell was a winger who moved to centre. As Josh ages / bulks he loses some speed but still has the finishing required for centre.

I daresay moving Ellery to loose forward or Sam to FB was wrong too :roll:

Is Charnley Gelling Sarginson Manfredi (on his wrong side) better than say Manfredi Charnley Sarginson Carney ?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Agree entirely!!!
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Charnley is a top quality finisher. I dont think ive seen much from him to suggest he would flourish as a centre. Dom is certainly a very promising winger so we are in good hands when Budgie goes. Surely signing a more competant centre would make more sense than trying to fit a top class winger there
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

Agree completely. Gelling IMO is not the centre we should be looking for, he doesn't have a centres brain.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Blackpool_Pie wrote:Charnley is a top quality finisher. I dont think ive seen much from him to suggest he would flourish as a centre. Dom is certainly a very promising winger so we are in good hands when Budgie goes. Surely signing a more competant centre would make more sense than trying to fit a top class winger there
Manfredi is a right winger not a left winger.

Dean Bell started at right win before moving to right centre

A loan spell playing right centre and doing very well for Hull KR would suggest Josh could play right centre even then.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Lets get Goulding in on loan! :D

Persnoally I don't see a problem with trying Josh at centre. However, I'd prefer to see a centre brought in. Next season we'll need to find a winger or center or maybe even both, so lets get a look out.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐