Todays game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Todays game

Post by Suzieb »

Hubby just returned from match not a happy bunny he played rugby till he was 46 also coached teams if he can see wats wrong why cant Shaun Wane
2 centres that wont pass
George Williams not a stand off
Tautai waste of a signing need i go on
Southern Softy

Re: Todays game

Post by Southern Softy »

What seems to be worrying is that it seems to take new players an age to fit in to Wigan's style of play. How can Larne Patrick's form have dropped off so much over the close season? Why can't Tautai do more minutes on the park? The young props seem to be in and out and can't nail down a regular place. Clubb has a stormer and then gets injured. It doesn't look like a squad where someone can step in when there's an injury problem. Forget about Gelling - he's not going to learn and he's not going to change.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it doesn't really look like Wigan this season.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Southern Softy wrote:What seems to be worrying is that it seems to take new players an age to fit in to Wigan's style of play. How can Larne Patrick's form have dropped off so much over the close season? Why can't Tautai do more minutes on the park? The young props seem to be in and out and can't nail down a regular place. Clubb has a stormer and then gets injured. It doesn't look like a squad where someone can step in when there's an injury problem. Forget about Gelling - he's not going to learn and he's not going to change.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it doesn't really look like Wigan this season.
Great point and I think this is why Sts managed to win the LLS and the GF last season. They had injuries, big ones IIRC and they managed to play with the players available.

What does this result say more about, Salford's progress or Wigans state of affairs?

Not great and this 'tired' excuse is lame. With Bitcon they are the fittest in the league, are they not?

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Suzieb wrote:Hubby just returned from match not a happy bunny he played rugby till he was 46 also coached teams if he can see wats wrong why cant Shaun Wane
2 centres that wont pass
Suzieb your husbands point re George Williams is our biggest problem at the moment for me. It looks like for next season its sorted (See TBW om Sam rumour) but that does not help us now.

Williams will be a major star for us but he is out of position and Smith is also suffering. Its of all the issues you mention its the easiest to sort out stick Rocky at 6 and put Bowen at FB.

Rocky is a better FB than Bowen atm but will make us stronger than him at FB and Williams at 6.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

It was always going to be difficult today following the graft needed to win Friday's game. We have a number of key players missing and when you are trying to back up you need the majority of your top pros out there, Salford were fortunate enough to have almost their full team available. Having said that, some guys need to step up to the mark. In hindsight we may have been better advised to pick some fresh bodies in the pack e.g. Greenwood and Crosby.

What is for sure, if we want to win trophies then we are going to have to sort out our away form.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

thegimble wrote:
Suzieb wrote:Hubby just returned from match not a happy bunny he played rugby till he was 46 also coached teams if he can see wats wrong why cant Shaun Wane
2 centres that wont pass
Suzieb your husbands point re George Williams is our biggest problem at the moment for me. It looks like for next season its sorted (See TBW om Sam rumour) but that does not help us now.

Williams will be a major star for us but he is out of position and Smith is also suffering. Its of all the issues you mention its the easiest to sort out stick Rocky at 6 and put Bowen at FB.

Rocky is a better FB than Bowen atm but will make us stronger than him at FB and Williams at 6.
Smith is the guy who needs to step up to the plate, he is lost without Lockers and Green. We need to persevere with Williams because he has got plenty of improvement in him and I agree he will be a star of the future. I don't see any further improvement in Smith - he has a poor kicking game and he never tests/breaks the line. Let's not forget that Smith's form has been poor all season even when not partnered with Williams.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Southern Softy wrote:What seems to be worrying is that it seems to take new players an age to fit in to Wigan's style of play. How can Larne Patrick's form have dropped off so much over the close season? Why can't Tautai do more minutes on the park? The young props seem to be in and out and can't nail down a regular place. Clubb has a stormer and then gets injured. It doesn't look like a squad where someone can step in when there's an injury problem. Forget about Gelling - he's not going to learn and he's not going to change.

I think that they are both struggling with our training regime and our type of play, hopefully they will both improve as the season continues, otherwise they have a long drive to Workington to face when Lockers, Flower and Crosby return.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Smith is the guy who needs to step up to the plate, he is lost without Lockers and Green. We need to persevere with Williams because he has got plenty of improvement in him and I agree he will be a star of the future. I don't see any further improvement in Smith - he has a poor kicking game and he never tests/breaks the line. Let's not forget that Smith's form has been poor all season even when not partnered with Williams.

I agree with you but we are struggling for experience and whilst people see Smith's failings they let Williams off the hook a bit. Without a recognised 6 any half will struggle and thats one position where the club for this season have seemingly sacrifised.
the sully bar

Post by the sully bar »

For me is was going to be a big ask for us after the saints game but saying that we were making way to many silly errors,our away performances are shocking with the last time we lost so many away games was back in the late 70s when we went down , still i keep the faith we will come good :wink:
He has got the strengh he has got the speed..and hes beaten him....Ray French on Henderson Gills try 1985 cup final.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Anyway, congrats IH and Salford. Come a long way since that whooping at Salford last season.