You'll be interested in this.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
new boy

You'll be interested in this.

Post by new boy »

I have been doing some research on Wigan v Saints and thought you would like to know the record in competitive games since the start of SL. This includes Challenge Cup of which there has been 5 games and SL including the play offs and what used to be the Premiership of which there has been 35 games.

The record overall is Wigan won 25, Saints won 13 with 2 draws !!
Of the 5 Cup games Wigan have won 2 and lost 3 and in the various league games Wigan have won 23 amd lost only 10.

For some reason I thought you might like to know that.
MrsLam

Re: You'll be interested in th...

Post by MrsLam »

Most of us are so obsessed with the derby that we actually have tally charts on our walls that remind us of this each time we wake up in the morning.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
ian.birchall

Re: You'll be interested i...

Post by ian.birchall »

MrsLam my big fear now that Milward has gone is the thought that Stains might start winning against us again, remember when we had Happy frank, we lost every game
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ian.birchall posted:
MrsLam my big fear now that Milward has gone is the thought that Stains might start winning against us again, remember when we had Happy frank, we lost every game
Ian, that's not strictly true! Back in the days when we used to fire a coach when we dropped from 1st to 3rd in a couple of weeks (instead of dropping to 11th or whatever we've had this year), Happy Frank had a pretty good record against St Helens. 2001 results:- 10 Feb (Cup) L22-8; 13 April D22-22; 22 Jun W29-28; 10 Aug L30-16; 14 Sep W40-6; 6 Oct WW44-10. Played 6, lost 2, drawn 1, won 3. Bradford was Frank's bogey team, and other recent coaches haven't really had much luck against them either.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
new boy

Post by new boy »

Ian in fact it is a very long time since Saints have had any kind of real run of good results against Wigan. You probably have to go back to the early 80s. Fact is Wigan have dominated the series in the past two decades.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

new boy posted:
Ian in fact it is a very long time since Saints have had any kind of real run of good results against Wigan. You probably have to go back to the early 80s. Fact is Wigan have dominated the series in the past two decades.
....whilst Saints have been winning GFs, CC finals and WCC matches :angry:
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

true jj we need a cup win against saints and i hope its this june! This is a good fact the last time they beat us in the league was in 2002 play offs 24-8.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
new boy

Post by new boy »

2002 CC Final wasn't all that long ago and while its true thay have been very successful and putting the trophies on the mantelpiece the reality is that they have done so without ever really getting a grip of Wigan.