O’Loughlin poised to return after three months out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

O’Loughlin poised to return after three months out

Post by josie andrews »

SEAN O’Loughlin is poised to end his three-month injury lay-off.

The Warriors captain is in the frame to face Castleford at the DW Stadium this Friday night, Shaun Wane confirmed last night.
He plays like he’s in three positions – he does his work in the middle, hits the ball up like a front-rower and he can ball-play as well
Shaun Wane
O’Loughlin injured his knee in the second game of the season, against Huddersfield on February 13.

He needed surgery and hasn’t played since. Wane admits his absence has dragged on longer than expected, but is looking forward to welcoming him back to his squad, possibly at the expense of Tony Clubb.

Wane said: “Lockers has trained with us and trained well, so provided he’s no problems between now and the end of the week he’ll be playing against Castleford.

“It’s taken a bit longer than we expected to get him back, but we wanted to make sure he was fully fit, and we’re looking forward to seeing him out there again. He adds a lot to our side, as everyone knows. He plays like he’s in three positions – he does his work in the middle, hits the ball up like a front-rower and he can ball-play as well, which gives us more options and takes the pressure off Matty Smith and George Williams in the halves.”

O’Loughlin, who has sat out a total of 12 matches this term, has been a major influence on the Wigan side throughout his career.

In 2013, he was shortlisted for the Man of Steel award despite playing just 21 of their 35 matches. And last season, he was named England captain for their Four Nations tour Down Under.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-7244163
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: O’Loughlin poised to return after three months out

Post by Firestarter »

I think it could be make or break time for lockers Josie, we have finally learned to play without himself and Sam Tomkins.

I still think we would be better off releasing Bowen and loaning a squad player(possibly a centre)in for the rest of the season.

Lets hope though he's fully fit now because we need an old head especially for the away games
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Glad he'll be returning.
I do hope Waney spells him as 12 weeks out means he can't possibly be match fit.
Not surprised Clubb has been rested. He's had trouble in this past few games and it was him who took our pack forward when we were playing in the mud on a cow patch.

Shaun W will want a win from this as the defeat at their place was a bad one for our coach to take.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Firestarter wrote:I think it could be make or break time for lockers Josie, we have finally learned to play without himself and Sam Tomkins.

I still think we would be better off releasing Bowen and loaning a squad player(possibly a centre)in for the rest of the season.

Lets hope though he's fully fit now because we need an old head especially for the away games
Good point Firestarter. We have adapted well to Lockers absence and I think he should be 'bench player' or a 'super sub' playing when required.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

BriH wrote:
Firestarter wrote:I think it could be make or break time for lockers Josie, we have finally learned to play without himself and Sam Tomkins.

Good point Firestarter. We have adapted well to Lockers absence and I think he should be 'bench player' or a 'super sub' playing when required.
Agreed
markill

Post by markill »

medlocke wrote:
BriH wrote:

Agreed
Not sure that I do agree. There might be a risk to think if we're going poor in a game that he can come on and sort it out. Could take us back to that early season period where no one was really taking responsibility and leading the team. That's fine now, don't want it creeping back in. Start him or leave him out, but don't put him on the bench. By all means though, rotate him during the game.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

markill wrote:
medlocke wrote:
BriH wrote: Good point Firestarter. We have adapted well to Lockers absence and I think he should be 'bench player' or a 'super sub' playing when required.
Agreed
Not sure that I do agree. There might be a risk to think if we're going poor in a game that he can come on and sort it out. Could take us back to that early season period where no one was really taking responsibility and leading the team. That's fine now, don't want it creeping back in. Start him or leave him out, but don't put him on the bench. By all means though, rotate him during the game.
The team had a poor strategy on the pitch early season with few options displayed and totally predictable.
That has changed of late and its now the style of play that suits Lockers due to his good links and distribution.
It adds questions of the opposition, "who's getting the ball next, George or Lockers"?.
He wont be match fit, maybe better to start and see how he fares, interchange when he tires with the chance of returning later on in the game.
Smokie Jim

Post by Smokie Jim »

Good to have him back. Think SW will ease him back from the bench
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Great to have him back. He generally seems to get up to speed very quickly on his returns, so I would be happy for him to play wherever and for however long he chooses. Where we have missed him has been in our away games, of course - now he's back everyone can look to him for leadership and inspiration. With a bit of luck, we could be top after the Magic Week End, as I think Cats and Wire will beat Saints, and fancy Widnes to take advantage of Leeds' blip.